• UCAT results are out! Just kidding, I'm just testing the notices system. Cheers, Mana

JCU JCU 2017 Interview Offers Official Thread

batman_99

We are all aware of the BMP program (did you seriously think that I don't know about this?), and no, it doesn't solve the rural doctor shortage because BMP students largely return to the cities after completing their return of contract; furthermore, the return of service is now one year, and simply doing your internship in that area now satisfies the return on contract clause if you commence this year. Another significant proportion of the BMP contract holders simply pay out their contract instead of fulfilling it.

The rural healthcare services don't need new junior doctors - they need trained consultant doctors that can practice autonomously, rather than more peons to work for the few that exist. The BMP program has widely been regarded as a failure in this sense.

Not sure why you keep posting then.
Mana, take a chill pill and relax.

batman_99

The real question is do you realise that these rural communities don't need doctors practicing as interns for their designated 1 year bonded contract? They need experienced doctors who stay for years and years, not new intern medical graduates that are only there to fulfil their bonded requirement. In this need they have turned to lowering the requirements for rural applicants - as it is clear that applicants with a greater rural background have a greater 'chance' at staying rural and working there for many years. This is what Australia needs as a whole, and this could be the reason why you may have been rejected by JCU (who places a heavy importance on rural health gap bridging, etc) even if you wrote a killer application. I know it might feel bad to not even get a chance at a JCU interview because you technically got a higher atar/gpa or whatever than an applying rural candidate, but thats what happens when medical graduates flock to urban centres over rural/remote communities.

What I don't understand is how you and a few posters here cannot grasp that (and I AM sorry if this sounds harsh but its true) the world doesn't revolve around you or what you want and that often we will be disappointed in life (trust me lol I already completed a Bachelors degree and then job searched for 6+ months and settled for a retail position cos there were no jobs in my field/city). We are a large country that needs health gaps filled and rural applicants/graduates are one strategy at combatting these gaps. There is nothing you can do to change this except for going and working in these communities yourself - its actually a good thing that they are lowering the requirements for rural applicants IMO. This might actually lead to some good health changes down the line as we already have plenty of medical graduates each year so we should now be churning out more that will go and STAY rural.
Your point is very true. Although I disagree with the lowering of ATAR scores. I quite like Griffith's approach by having a sub quota (like a certain percentage of applicants) dedicated to rural applicants. But, the rural applicants should be higher ranking at the same time and not just anyone for the sake of making rural doctors.

Mana

Registrar
Administrar
Your point is very true. Although I disagree with the lowering of ATAR scores. I quite like Griffith's approach by having a sub quota (like a certain percentage of applicants) dedicated to rural applicants. But, the rural applicants should be higher ranking at the same time and not just anyone for the sake of making rural doctors.
This isn't possible, because as listed above, the services that provide support for people in rural areas are often lacking, including schooling. As is such, you can't expect the rural applicant to have higher marks than the urban one - all you need to ensure is that they will be a competent doctor, which you can be with a much lower ATAR than most cutoffs are set at these days.

If they weren't lacking, we wouldn't have this problem of needing more rural doctors, because more of our current workforce would move there - that's precisely the reason why they don't go out to practice there in the first place - lack of services.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about in this regard - why do you keep spouting rubbish about this?

Grape

where there's a will there's a way :) thank you for your words x
Don't worry, I'm in the same boat. Rural 6.5 GPA, must just come down to our written applications- unfortunately we weren't good enough this time. There's always next year, keep your head up and don't let the condescending insensitivity of others get you down x
In the same boat too! I'm non-standard from NZ my GPA was 8.5.
I think mine was down to the fact I wrote a few words after the space allowed in the written application-I was gutted when I looked on the forum and some posted that JCU usually disregard your application if you write more than in the space provided, even if it's just a couple of words :(
Also, the written application itself probably wasn't what JCU was looking for
Oh well...
Good luck for next year guys!

Last edited:

lemons1234

We are all aware of the BMP program (did you seriously think that I don't know about this?), and no, it doesn't solve the rural doctor shortage because BMP students largely return to the cities after completing their return of contract; furthermore, the return of service is now one year, and simply doing your internship in that area now satisfies the return on contract clause if you commence this year. Another significant proportion of the BMP contract holders simply pay out their contract instead of fulfilling it.

The rural healthcare services don't need new junior doctors - they need trained consultant doctors that can practice autonomously, rather than more peons to work for the few that exist. The BMP program has widely been regarded as a failure in this sense.

Not sure why you keep posting then.
Hi Mana and everyone else,

Im an aspiring medical student with a rural background (RA4- Alice Springs).
Im in year 11 and wondering what type of atar will enable me for an interview.
An information is appreciated.