Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU Chances for Dent

postle92

Lurker
I just finished first year science at UQ hoping to get into dentistry at JCU. My GPA for this year is 5.625 and i think my written application was quite good. Just wondering what everyone rekons my chances would be cheers.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Nothing you can do but wait, like me :( * pat on shoulder*. Application will determine alot, so if you rekon its excellent you probably have a good chance. Good luck!

prince

Does anyone know if they assess the application form for Dentistry the same as for Medicine? as I got an interview for med (non standard gpa 5.5), can it be assumed that my application is good for entry to dentistry as well since I wrote about both?

rulerofhell

gulls' calendar minion
I wrote about both too... I'm worried they may have considered my application too thin seeing as I wrote about both? :'(

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
Does anyone know if they ass the application form for Dentistry the same as for Medicine? as I got an interview for med (non standard gpa 5.5), can it be assumed that my application is good for entry to dentistry as well since I wrote about both?

No since interviews are offered to 500-600 people while the dent school has only 60 places you cannot assume that your application is good enough for dent.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Medicine and Dentistry are assessed independently. One does not reflect your chances on the other.

postle92

Lurker
I wouldn't have a clue, if you do well in your interview does that mean that you'll get into med or will your GPA stop you from getting in? I've read a few posts from people that say 5.75 is the very minimum for both courses. Do you have a rural background?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
They will take the highest GPA and work there way down until they fill up all spots. But that is taking the application into consideration. I know people with awesome OP's / GPA's but no offers because of their application. Nope I'm not rural. The 5.75 is just a indication but not set in stone for dentistry. Your chances in med are determined by all 3, GPA, Interview and App. Its hard to say which has the most weighting. We can assume a 1:1:1 ratio to give you an idea. But you dont know your chances since you dont really know what your competing against.