Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU dentistry 2010

flic818

Hey all
I got an offer to JCU dent but due to financial reasons I dont think I will be able to take it this year.
Im planning on defering but I don't know if financial reasons is a good enough reason. Plus if my application is declined do you think they will take away my position?

If ANYONE knows anything thatd be much appreciated. I've spent all day trying to contact the faculty and no one has been answering.

THANKS in advance

Future Doctor

Hi FutureDoc,
Do you still have your MBBS as first preference and wait for the second round?

Hey. Yer i do.. I am so so happy with dentistry though.. How about you? Did you receive an offer, and if so where will you be staying?

Edit: Aaa sorry i just read your other posts =]

Dent Kid

Lurker
Hey Everyone,

Im a second year dental student at Jcu Cairns, and thought id offer some friendly info and advice.
Firstly, the course is absolutely awesome, initially like alot of people i was quite med incline, but getting into dentistry was definitely for the best.

It was pretty scary i guess at the start, i went up there without knowing a single person but like someone said earlier in the thread you make friends really fast. i guess this can be attributed to my staying at Cairns student lodge.

Most of the students studying dentistry (who weren't cairns locals) stayed here atleast for the first semester (about 30 of us). The rooms are decent, you can request air con, which you defs need in cairns. The area is fairly convenient for food (iga and kfc across the road) and is like a 2 minute drive to the shopping centre (Smithfield).
All meals are provided at the lodge, and like most boarding accommodation isn't the best. But its okayy, i tend to buy food from outside a fair bit :p

The course is really good so far. It is only new, so we've been kinda guinea pigs in that we've had to give a lot of feedback on how to improve the course etc. But the lectures and practicals etc have been to a really high standard. A part of the course you'll like is the simulation labs, which are all brand new. No expense has been spared and you work with the most high tech handpieces drill bits and other such equipment. (yy)

If anyone has any questions about the course or the accommodation, feel free to ask. I must say us second years are really looking forward to fresh faces up in cairns - which is a mad city btw!

later

krimji

hey dent kid ! it sounds awesome ! im really looking forward to going cairns for dent :) i was wondering if that means ur staying at the footprints student lodging ? is it difficult to get a room? and i wanted to ask if u could give me advice on anywhere else that would be a good place for accomodation..

Dent Kid

Lurker
Yeah sorry i didn't specify, i do stay at Footprints Student Lodge. It isn't hard to get a room at all, just call them and ask for a room basically, and you should be sweet. You can get the number off the website (google it).
Umm in first year pretty much all the students who came from out of Cairns stayed at the lodge, and moved out gradually. The most popular place outside the lodge currently seems to be the Beaches Apartments opposite uni - its closer than the lodge by a couple minutes. But you have to do your own cooking and all that jazz. And i have a feeling it might be slightly more expensive.. saying that the place is really well set out, and the room are pretty sweet. Other than that, people get there own place (very very few). Hope this helps bud.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads