Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Jcu dentistry 2011, help!!

alssa653

Hay guys

So my basic situation is that I'm finishing my last year of my degree! I'm doing a Bsc majoring in human anatomy and structural biology at the University of Otago in N.Z. My problem is that for my first year i failed 3 papers (my head was not in the right place at the time), which drops my average significantly, my second year i managed to get 65% average. So after taking long hard look at myself i decided to do summer school this year along with my first semester results I am currently sitting on an A- (82%).

Now i want nothing more than dentistry. With the grades that i have at any other university this is pretty much impossible. As i will be sitting overall in the 65%-70% range for my entire degree. To my knowledge UMAT is not taken at JCU nor grades to an extent. I have been told the application form has the largest weighing?

I was wondering, if i do really good in the written application form for JCU, would i have a slight chance. I got myself involved in Uni this year. I'm a class rep for numerous papers, have done some voluntary work and take notes for disabled people at uni! along with that i have three good refrence letters. The thing is JCU concentrates on rural Australia and I'm from N.Z.

What are my chances of getting in?

nmilh1

Hey Alssa,
I'm second year dentistry at JCU, and we've got a few people from New Zealand so don't fret too much that you're not rural/remote enough.
It sounds like you've done a heap load of extracurricular stuff, and they like that. And the three reference letters will also get you far.
You've done a lot more extra stuff to help you get in than most people did that got in.
Just write an awesome application letter and hope for the best :)
Also - have you thought about doing placement at a dentist? They like the fact that you've already made an attempt to see whether this is the career choice for you.
Good luck!

boxhunter

Hey Alssa,
I'm second year dentistry at JCU, and we've got a few people from New Zealand so don't fret too much that you're not rural/remote enough.
It sounds like you've done a heap load of extracurricular stuff, and they like that. And the three reference letters will also get you far.
You've done a lot more extra stuff to help you get in than most people did that got in.
Just write an awesome application letter and hope for the best :)
Also - have you thought about doing placement at a dentist? They like the fact that you've already made an attempt to see whether this is the career choice for you.
Good luck!

Hey nmilh1, Im currently studying Oral Health trying to get into JCU dent as well. Do you think this could be considered an 'attempt' to determine this is the field for myself along side doing work experience?

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
From what I have gathered there is a heavy emphasis on the application. As for the rural Australia thing, I myself have zero rural experience (I've always lived in highly metropolitan areas) yet I still received an offer to study dentistry at JCU this year. So you shouldn't worry about not having any Australian rural experience. Write a very good application with good supporting letters and you may be in with a chance.

boxhunter

From what I have gathered there is a heavy emphasis on the application. As for the rural Australia thing, I myself have zero rural experience (I've always lived in highly metropolitan areas) yet I still received an offer to study dentistry at JCU this year. So you shouldn't worry about not having any Australian rural experience. Write a very good application with good supporting letters and you may be in with a chance.

Yeh the app does seem like the be all and end all. Trying to make it best I can. Thanks for reducing some stress GoT. Quick question they looking only at semester 1 results?

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
Yeh the app does seem like the be all and end all. Trying to make it best I can. Thanks for reducing some stress GoT. Quick question they looking only at semester 1 results?

If you are in year 12 you are meant to use the results that you already have to predict an OP/ATAR (you don't predict it but rather your guidance councilor/principal does.) However, I believe that final offers are based off of the results that QTAC gives JCU (although I am not sure on this point at all so don't quote me). I don't know what would happen if you got an an offer based on a stellar interview performance but then your real ATAR fell below the threshold required (and your predicted ATAR).

boxhunter

If you are in year 12 you are meant to use the results that you already have to predict an OP/ATAR (you don't predict it but rather your guidance councilor/principal does.) However, I believe that final offers are based off of the results that QTAC gives JCU (although I am not sure on this point at all so don't quote me). I don't know what would happen if you got an an offer based on a stellar interview performance but then your real ATAR fell below the threshold required (and your predicted ATAR).

Woops forgot to mention I am first semester Uni. I apologise havnt changed on my profile. I thought JCU dent don't have interview offers :|

alssa653

Thanks for the support! sort of makes things better. Do the university marks have a large role aswell though? I did do a dentistry placement last year although only for a few days! I might put that in the application form aswell.
Looks like i just have to pour my heart and soul into the application and hope for the best!!
Thanks for the heads up and tips!

nmilh1

Boxhunter, we have a few students who have started oral health degrees so yeah i think it's a good thing to show them you're interested :) And no, JCU doesn't do interviews :)

nmilh1

Uni marks will have a large influence, they will look at your GPA over the period you studied. But, it is hugely based on the application/experience/reference letters.

boxhunter

Uni marks will have a large influence, they will look at your GPA over the period you studied. But, it is hugely based on the application/experience/reference letters.

So the entire year not Semester 1?
Dam Hope I can maintain this 6+ average.