JCU Dentistry 2019 Non- Standard Applicants

Discussion in 'James Cook University' started by Ayaz, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Ayaz

Ayaz New Member

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to start a thread for Non- Standard Applicants to JCU's Bachelor of Dental Surgery for 2019 entry. I would love to talk to some other applicants that are in the same boat as me! How are everyone's JCU written applications going? :)

toothfairy13 likes this.
  2. Nori

Nori New Member

Hi Ayaz,

I finished and mailed the application on Wednesday. I'm worried about my application because they only offer 8-10 places for tertiary students. My last semester GPA was a 6.25, but I'm not so sure about this Semester and they weigh the most recent GPA more...

Good luck to both of us ;)

toothfairy13 likes this.
  3. toothfairy13

toothfairy13 New Member

Hi :)

I also applied as a non-standard (also non-rural). I mailed my application on 27th of Sept. Have you guys received an email from JCU confirming they’ve received your application?

4. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Don’t panic, it will take them a few weeks to sort through them all and send the confirmations through. They get a lot of applications! :)

toothfairy13 likes this.
  5. doodzeluxe

doodzeluxe New Member

I’m in the same boat. It seems like our likelihood of getting in is lower compared to non-standard applicants due to limited places they offer for applicants like us. Plus my GPA isn’t great. But having a solid dental background as an OHT until now and working rurally/remotely across different towns around NSW and Victoria is my only bullet for this application. I’ve only provided 2 but solid referees. Whether I get in or not, I know I’ve done my best for my application. Good luck everyone and don’t stress too much XD.

Question though, will it affect my application if I did not put JCU as my first preference?

6. Crow

Nope, preference order won’t matter :) Though if you are eligible for an offer for a higher preference, naturally you will receive that over the JCU dentistry offer. Good luck!

7. Oreo

Oreo New Member

Hi, just wondering if there was anyone who still hasn’t received an email from JCU acknowledging that their written application has been received? Slightly concerned because last year I received confirmation within two days, and I understand that they have a lot applications to go through but interview offers will start rolling out soon too.

8. Crow

To clarify, are you a medicine or dentistry applicant (or both)? I ask as you’ve posted in the dentistry thread, and dentistry doesn’t host interviews. If you’re a medicine applicant and you’ve checked your junk/spam/promotions folder, I’d contact JCU ASAP as interviews will be released this week. If you’re only a dentistry applicant, I wouldn’t worry about it yet until later this month, as place offers for dentistry won’t be released until QTAC’s main offer round in January. Good luck!