JCU Dentistry Admission - Cairns

Discussion in 'James Cook University' started by Mr Tooth, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Mr Tooth

Mr Tooth New Member

Hi, I'm in Year 12 this year in Sydney and hoping to be a dentist. Could someone please advise me what ATAR I need to be considered for JCU Dentistry in Cairns.

Also, how many places are reserved each year for rural and city students? Coming from metro Sydney, do I stand a good chance of being selected or am I wasting my time applying against Queensland rural students who obviously get first preference?

I note that they don't interview or look at UMAT at JCU Cairns. Does this mean that only the essay scores and ATAR are considered? Do the references you attach to the written application count for much?

My friend told me that it's easier to get into JCU medicine than dentistry as they have a lot more places and also if you can talk well, you can get ahead at the interview.

Could someone please help as I'm really confused. My only other option is CSU in Orange but once again, they tend to favour regional applicants.:unsure:

2. hamster

hamster New Member

just wondering - have you thought about la trobe dent? that just needs your ATAR.

3. Mr Tooth

Mr Tooth New Member

Hamster,

La Trobe Bendigo is heavily in favour of country applicants. A city student needed 99.4 to be clearly in for first round offers in 2010. A regional candidate only needed around 92.0. Now 99.4 is not that easy to get and next year it's going to be higher yet as it's the only undergrad dent course in Victoria.

4. beach waves

beach waves Regular Member

Hi you could pm

future doctor.He is from sydney non rural.Yes the app counts heaps and the refs help also.Yes they do favour qlders and rurals,but thats not to say you wouldnt get in.Future got into dent,and his first pref was med.So I dont know that med is easier...it seems dent is easier..but I dont know.You do need a good atar.Anything under 96 forget it.Thats seems to be the cut off for non qlders.Then again you can still apply...nothing to loose.

in the meantime get work experience,get rural experience or indigenous exposure if you can.From what we can tell on mso the interview and atar are counted 50/50.The app gets you an interview and its very very important.

good luck

5. straddie92

straddie92 New Member

Hey Mr tooth,
    I have just received a 2nd round offer to JCU dentistry.
    I received an OP5, and am considered a non-rural applicant.
    I am not the norm though, because i have a fair bit of work experience in public dental practices and have volunteered at aboriginal community centre ect. So i was very lucky to get in, but it was definitely not my score that got me in haha.

It just proves that u can still get in without a top OP, u just need to be able to backup your interest in rural dentistry...via work experience, volunteer work, your own research blah blah. Dont underestimate the application form, i spent like a week on it, ensuring it was top notch - to make up for my poor score

All the best!(y)

6. Mr Tooth

Mr Tooth New Member

Thanks Straddie92,

Looks like i will need to go down to Indigenous community centres in Sydney and learn more about indigenous issues. If I volunteer there during my school hols, maybe they'll give me a good reference. I intend to spend heaps of time writing my essays as I won't leave anything to chance. Based on my Year 11 results, I reckon I'll get an ATAR of around 98.5, so from what you say, that'll be enough.

I'm also going to see my family dentist and see if she'll let me hang around for a week to "get some work experience". At least i have until Sep to prepare.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to help others out once I get into dent.

7. Pearl18

Pearl18 New Member

How many days did you work in the aboriginal community centre??

8. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    I suggest you read up on the mission of JCU’s dentistry program. Naturally if you have experience and have completed activities that align with their mission then this will be looked upon favourably for your application.