JCU JCU Dentistry: General Discussion

Apply for rural work experience?

• Yes, will increase your chances.

Votes: 44 71.0%
  • No need

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

JLukas

Congratulations!!! The feeling is so mutal here too, I'm coming from Vic. What about you?

I moved up to Cairns last year from Tas, nothing can prepare you for the humidity. It's a bit crazy especially coming from a colder state. See you in Feb and congrats 😁

hk092000

Hi guys, don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I've run out of options at this point. I've received an offer from JCU dentistry this year but still trying to see if I can do med in some way. If I wanted to become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, I understand I'd have to go to dental school first and then apply for med once I've finished. When I apply for med, will they look at my gpa from dental school? I imagine keeping up your gpa in dental school for 5 years would be quite difficult....

emdentch

Hi guys, don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I've run out of options at this point. I've received an offer from JCU dentistry this year but still trying to see if I can do med in some way. If I wanted to become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, I understand I'd have to go to dental school first and then apply for med once I've finished. When I apply for med, will they look at my gpa from dental school? I imagine keeping up your gpa in dental school for 5 years would be quite difficult....
From my experience working at dental practices last 9 years, I have seen a few maxfax surgeons. All of them completed med first. I am not too sure you have to do med first though :(( for your second question, I know a dentist who is trying to get into vet, she is struggling as university looked her dent GPA and her GPA is pretty low(like GPA 5). she decided to study Bachelor of Science in 2021 and aim for GPA 7 to get into vet in 2022 lol..

IttyKitty

Hi, I had a google and came across this information from Adelaide health, it provides Information from doing med first and also dental first.

I’m unsure of the GPA question, you could maybe call up JCU and ask?
I hope this helps 😊

hk092000

From my experience working at dental practices last 9 years, I have seen a few maxfax surgeons. All of them completed med first. I am not too sure you have to do med first though :(( for your second question, I know a dentist who is trying to get into vet, she is struggling as university looked her dent GPA and her GPA is pretty low(like GPA 5). she decided to study Bachelor of Science in 2021 and aim for GPA 7 to get into vet in 2022 lol..
Thanks for the information! Good luck to your friend!

Unluckydude

I understand I'd have to go to dental school first and then apply for med once I've finished. When I apply for med, will they look at my gpa from dental school? I imagine keeping up your gpa in dental school for 5 years would be quite difficult....
You can do either dentistry or medicine first, it doesn't matter.

When I apply for med, will they look at my gpa from dental school? I imagine keeping up your gpa in dental school for 5 years would be quite difficult....
Yes, they do look at your GPA. But some medical/dental schools give special considerations or have special pathways for people who want to do oral maxillofacial surgery.

Hi guys, don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I've run out of options at this point. I've received an offer from JCU dentistry this year but still trying to see if I can do med in some way.
I would strongly advise you against doing dentistry as a backup for medicine especially if you're into the diagnostic side of medicine or treating life-threatening medical emergencies. Additionally, OMFS is one of the most competitive specialities for dentistry and medicine and many applicants with dual qualifications don't get in.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

hk092000

You can do either dentistry or medicine first, it doesn't matter.

Yes, they do look at your GPA. But some medical/dental schools give special considerations or have special pathways for people who want to do oral maxillofacial surgery.

I would strongly advise you against doing dentistry as a backup for medicine especially if you're into the diagnostic side of medicine or treating life-threatening medical emergencies. Additionally, OMFS is one of the most competitive specialities for dentistry and medicine and many applicants with dual qualifications don't get in.
Thanks for all this information! I'll take it all in account when deciding what to do :)

Is56

Hello I am thinking of applying to JCU dental this year and I was wondering if we have to send the application by post (I'm interstate) instead of mailing it electronically. Also if I do end up posting it do I post any certificates or proof of work experience with the application or send them in some other way?

thank you

Reactions: nb
N

nb

Hello I am thinking of applying to JCU dental this year and I was wondering if we have to send the application by post (I'm interstate) instead of mailing it electronically. Also if I do end up posting it do I post any certificates or proof of work experience with the application or send them in some other way?

thank you
Best to email JCU and ask if they want email or posted from interstate. For our year (in Victoria), they said to email it due to COVID, but to mail it for all other states. And no, you don't need to provide any proof of work experience, so long as it is genuinely mentioned in your written application, it's fine.

VJC

Is someone able to give me advice on whether or not it's worthwhile applying to JCU without work experience in the field? I have a high rank but feel lost with how to make a stellar written application. TIA

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
I'm applying for JCU med and dent and in my written application the main focus is med (because med is top pref) and i havnt included dentistry anywhere. However, if i don't get an offer in med at JCU, are they even going to consider the written app for dentistry, because it has nothing to do with dentistry on it?

I'm applying for JCU med and dent and in my written application the main focus is med (because med is top pref) and i havnt included dentistry anywhere. However, if i don't get an offer in med at JCU, are they even going to consider the written app for dentistry, because it has nothing to do with dentistry on it?
Hi,

I did the same thing when I applied for both med and dent a few years ago. No mention of dentistry, no dental shadowing/experience at all but still got into dent. Hope this helps

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021
Hi,

I did the same thing when I applied for both med and dent a few years ago. No mention of dentistry, no dental shadowing/experience at all but still got into dent. Hope this helps
That helps so much, like literally the exact response i needed and wanted.

Miner20

same here, im moving to jcu from interstate to study dent and don't know anyone at all. feeling both nervous and excited!! may i ask which state you are coming from?
Hey, is there anyway that I can contact you to talk about applications. Thanks and congrats on getting!

IttyKitty

Hi guys has anyone here gotten an offer into JCU dentistry being a non-standard, non-rural applicant?
Hey 😊. From what I’ve seen, there were I think two applicants who got offers and accepted who were non-standard and also non-rural from the collated data for 2021 offers. Unfortunately, there are very limited places for non-standard applicants like Emdentch said above 😕