JCU Dentistry General Discussion

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by SanaC, Aug 17, 2018.

?

Apply for rural work experience?

1. Yes, will increase your chances.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No need

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. SanaC

SanaC New Member

Hello, I'm a non-standard applying for dentistry at JCU for 2019 entry. I'm genuinely interested in working in a rural community and fell in love with Cairns when I went there for a short holiday.
    I have a few questions for those who know how I can increase my chances of being selected?

Questions:
    -Is a first semester GPA of 6.5 and an ATAR of 97.5 enough to pass me through the academic requirements?
    -I'm currently doing work experience at a dental clinic in Sydney and training to work as a dental assistant there. Should I ask a dentist to be a reference?
    -I'm also thinking of looking for 2-3 day work experience at a dental clinic in regional/rural Sydney, is this a good idea?
    -Any other things that I definitely should include, especially to express my interest in dentistry and/or rural healthcare?

2. SanaC

SanaC New Member

Also, will my second semester marks be included? Or is it too late? My uni will probably release results early December.

3. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

Hi SanaC, welcome to MSO. Firstly, it is important to note that non-standard entry is much more competitive than school-leaver entry, given the minimal amount of places available to non-standards. It is also important to note that rurality is an important component of the selection criteria (naturally, given the mission of JCU's health programs), meaning that the majority of place offers will go to those with a rural background - so you really need to have a great written application to give yourself a good chance of entry if you are a non-rural applicant i.e. you need to show a genuine interest in rural and Indigenous dentistry and articulate this well in your written application.

To answer your specific questions:
    - Yes, a GPA of 6.5 would be considered competitive (obviously a 7.0 would give you a greater chance of entry), given that the written application is much more of an important factor than academic results - this is because the written application is scored in a manner that creates a much greater variance in entry scores than academic rank does - as evidenced by students with perfect GPAs and ATARs missing out on spots in the past while others with much lower GPAs have been offered places.
    - Your letters of support are there to attest to your personal character and demonstrate that you are an appropriate fit for JCU's dentistry school. If the dentist can attest to your suitability for a career in dentistry, and perhaps your interest in rural/remote/Indigenous dentistry, then sure, they may be a good fit. If they can't do these things, perhaps you're better off asking someone else. JCU isn't looking for letters from well established dentists specifically - they're looking for people to say good things about you as a person, and your motivations for the aforementioned.
    - If you can get the work experience then why not? You have absolutely nothing to lose from experiencing the field that you are pursuing a career path in, and will likely gain more insight into said field - a bonus might be you being able to use this insight in your written application, if you gain something useful out of it.
    - The last one is up to you. Think about the specific reasons why rural healthcare appeals to you (this is perhaps even more important than you being interested in dentistry in itself), think about why JCU's program specifically appeals to you and will help you pursue a career in rural healthcare, etc. Nobody can outline your specific motivations for you, but it is important that you explain how JCU's mission aligns with your career goals and why the dentistry program will help you achieve these.

Yes, your second semester results will be considered when calculating your academic rank.

As an aside: I would caution from referring to "rural Sydney" in your application.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    SanaC likes this.
  4. SanaC

SanaC New Member

Thank you so much, your answer was exactly what I needed! :)
    And yes, just realised that mistake... thank you for the heads up!

Crow likes this.
  5. MSP

MSP Banned

1)GPA - Great!!
    2) Work experience is also great - but lots of people will have it. Have you done any science/dental related research for an academic? Are you continually volunteering in the community? Do you have other life achievements/awards etc?
    3) Rural dentistry and healthcare are highly complex. You need to be very concise with how you structure your response and don't just regurgitate facts and statistics! What do you understand about rural dentistry/healthcare?

SanaC likes this.
  6. SanaC

SanaC New Member

Thank you for your suggestions! They are immensely helpful.
    Regarding (2) I’ve been selected to undertake research experience at my uni under an academic, but have yet to choose a faculty. Probably in chemistry or medical sciences, can you possibly suggest how can I make the best use of this?

7. jiaxing

jiaxing Regular Member

Hi everyone!

I’m a non-rural and non-standard applicant from Sydney. I’m completing my Masters at the end of this year and currently I’m in the process of applying for Dentistry at JCU.

Can anybody help me out and guide me as to what the lowest GPAs have been like in previous years for non-rural students such as myself?

Also, I’ve done over 4 years experience in dental clinics in sydney and rural Overseas, as well as done a lot of research and taugh Indigenous students in high school. Would this help too?t

Thank you!

8. mthk

mthk New Member

Hi! I'm just curious about one thing; on the JCU website, they say an ATAR of 96 is required in order to get a placement into the course, and they don't look at UMAT or have interviews
    So my question is, will you get a placement into the university if you get an ATAR of 96+ and a good application form?
    Thanks!

9. Crow

Where have you read this? I just checked the dentistry course on the JCU website and have not seen an ATAR requirement quoted anywhere. MSO has definitely had reports of ATARs below 96 receiving place offers into JCU dentistry in the past.

Nobody can guarantee you will get a place offer with x ATAR and a “good” application - what is a good application? Is this by your own objective assessment or someone else’s opinion? People have missed out on place offers with ATARs of 99+ in the past because of the importance of the written application (and even more importantly, rurality score).

Best of luck.

10. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    A number of universities will advertise a “minimum” ATAR (or UMAT or GPA, etc), but that’s often just the point at which an applicant becomes eligible for cosideration, it is not a guarantee of an offer if you score above. And, in fact, successful scores tend to be much higher than the published minimums due to the competitiveness of the degree/s.

For information more specific to JCU, see @Crow’s comment above.

Crow likes this.
  11. Rub0ls

Rub0ls New Member

Hello. I got an OP 2 and applied for both JCU Medicine and Dentistry as my passion lies in boosting people's health. I didn't get an interview offer for JCU Medicine, does this mean my chances for JCU Dentistry is low since it must've been my application that affected me.

12. Ragnz123

Ragnz123 New Member

Has anyone received an offer from JCU for dentistry ?

13. GGEZ

GGEZ New Member

No :( are there any chances for second round? I'm a non school leaver applying for it.

14. QlQ

QlQ New Member

I got an email yesterday around 11:00am EST for JCU Dentistry.

Do they not do interviews for Dentistry? I was surprised because all my friends (who had Medicine as first preference) got an interview.

15. Crow

I may have misinterpreted, but surely if you received an offer for dentistry you would know that interviews aren’t part of the selection process? JCU only interviews for medicine - dentistry selection is decided from academic rank and written application.

Ragnz123 likes this.
  16. Ragnz123

Ragnz123 New Member

Are there any second round offers for JCU dent?

Dullah likes this.