Apply for rural work experience?

• Yes, will increase your chances.

Votes: 44 71.0%
  • No need

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

NiceGary

Lurker
A very reasonable shot provided you write about your rural experience and background in your application and have a half decent motivation.

Thanks for the reply! And yeah I did write about my experiences and how I’d love to give back to the communities I lived in as a child (i.e. rural/remote and indigenous places).

Hopefully my application is competitive yeah and thanks again for your input.

mthk

Hi! I'm just curious about one thing; on the JCU website, they say an ATAR of 96 is required in order to get a placement into the course, and they don't look at UMAT or have interviews
So my question is, will you get a placement into the university if you get an ATAR of 96+ and a good application form?
Thanks!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi! I'm just curious about one thing; on the JCU website, they say an ATAR of 96 is required in order to get a placement into the course, and they don't look at UMAT or have interviews
So my question is, will you get a placement into the university if you get an ATAR of 96+ and a good application form?
Thanks!
Where have you read this? I just checked the dentistry course on the JCU website and have not seen an ATAR requirement quoted anywhere. MSO has definitely had reports of ATARs below 96 receiving place offers into JCU dentistry in the past.

Nobody can guarantee you will get a place offer with x ATAR and a “good” application - what is a good application? Is this by your own objective assessment or someone else’s opinion? People have missed out on place offers with ATARs of 99+ in the past because of the importance of the written application (and even more importantly, rurality score).

Best of luck.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thanks!

A number of universities will advertise a “minimum” ATAR (or UMAT or GPA, etc), but that’s often just the point at which an applicant becomes eligible for cosideration, it is not a guarantee of an offer if you score above. And, in fact, successful scores tend to be much higher than the published minimums due to the competitiveness of the degree/s.

For information more specific to JCU, see @Crow’s comment above.

gberry1

hey guys,
I am hoping to get into JCU dental in the 2020 intake as I am currently in year 12. I am achieving A- if not higher for all my subjects, have filled all prerequisites and am extremely motivated in the dentistry field as I have done work experience in year 10 and am hoping to do some more this year. My OP prediction is to be a 4 or higher. I was wondering if it would be better for me to do work experience every Saturday for the rest of the year at the same clinic or go to several different places? Also, I am classed as and RA1 for remoteness and was wondering how heavily this will influence my application and whether it will be a determining factor? Thanks in advance:)

Rub0ls

Hello. I got an OP 2 and applied for both JCU Medicine and Dentistry as my passion lies in boosting people's health. I didn't get an interview offer for JCU Medicine, does this mean my chances for JCU Dentistry is low since it must've been my application that affected me.

QlQ

Has anyone received an offer from JCU for dentistry ?

I got an email yesterday around 11:00am EST for JCU Dentistry.

Do they not do interviews for Dentistry? I was surprised because all my friends (who had Medicine as first preference) got an interview.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I got an email yesterday around 11:00am EST for JCU Dentistry.

Do they not do interviews for Dentistry? I was surprised because all my friends (who had Medicine as first preference) got an interview.
I may have misinterpreted, but surely if you received an offer for dentistry you would know that interviews aren’t part of the selection process? JCU only interviews for medicine - dentistry selection is decided from academic rank and written application.

Ann Alex

Hey Guys, I hope you are all doing well.

So guys i want to apply for dentistry for 2020 as a non school leaver (i finshed my hsc in 2018).

Honestly, i dont even care what uni i go to as long as i get accepted. But my main one was JCU. I am non rural and would be an intersate student. so for the written application part of the selection criteria JCU has, i was wodnering if i could get some pointers to help me out.

I am aiming for a GPA of over 6 and i am quite confident as long as God's with me and i am also planning on sitting the UCAT this year. howver i dont know the criteria for UCAT. is it going to be harder? some helpful tips would be much appreciated.

DNA

JCU MBBS
Hey Guys, I hope you are all doing well.

So guys i want to apply for dentistry for 2020 as a non school leaver (i finshed my hsc in 2018).

Honestly, i dont even care what uni i go to as long as i get accepted. But my main one was JCU. I am non rural and would be an intersate student. so for the written application part of the selection criteria JCU has, i was wodnering if i could get some pointers to help me out.

I am aiming for a GPA of over 6 and i am quite confident as long as God's with me and i am also planning on sitting the UCAT this year. howver i dont know the criteria for UCAT. is it going to be harder? some helpful tips would be much appreciated.
You should aim to complete some dental work experience which you can talk about in your written application. Also, JCU focuses a lot on indigenous and rural health so it would be a good idea to demonstrate that these aspects interest you - perhaps you could try and get some work experience or do volunteering in a rural/indigenous community.

Not much is known about UCAT since it’s the first year it is being implemented. You should checkout the Pre-UCAT 2019 discussion if you haven’t already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ann Alex

You should aim to complete some dental work experience which you can talk about in your written application. Also, JCU focuses a lot on indigenous and rural health so it would be a good idea to demonstrate that these aspects interest you - perhaps you could try and get some work experience or do volunteering in a rural/indigenous community.

Not much is not about UCAT since it’s the first year it is being implemented. You should checkout the Pre-UCAT 2019 discussion if you haven’t already.
THANK U SO MUCH!
I was wondering how much work experience you need. say i was working as a dental assistant at this clinic(not rural sadly, since i live literally in the city) woudl that be enough in terms of work experince or should i do more shadowing instead of actual payed work?

DNA

JCU MBBS
THANK U SO MUCH!
I was wondering how much work experience you need. say i was working as a dental assistant at this clinic(not rural sadly, since i live literally in the city) woudl that be enough in terms of work experince or should i do more shadowing instead of actual payed work?
The most important part of the work experience part of the written application is explaining what you’ve gained from it and how it indicates your motivation to study dentistry. So if you’ve learned a lot about dentistry when working as a dental assistant compared to not much by shadowing then the former is better. It really all comes down to how you express it in the written application.

In short, quality over quantity is better. There’s no minimum requirement for how many hours of work experience - it’s good to have some good quality ones that don’t have to be years long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tooth101

Lurker
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

ATAR: 97.75
Year: 2017

I would like to apply for JCU dentistry 2020, I have not completed any tertiary education and I am wondering if I can apply as a school leaver? Does JCU have a cut off for high school leaver applications or would I be considered non-standard?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

ATAR: 97.75
Year: 2017

I would like to apply for JCU dentistry 2020, I have not completed any tertiary education and I am wondering if I can apply as a school leaver? Does JCU have a cut off for high school leaver applications or would I be considered non-standard?
If you have no tertiary study record then you’ll be considered as a school-leaver.

By “cut-off” are you referring to an ATAR cutoff? The answer is no, selection is based on a combination of rurality, your ATAR and written application. With your ATAR you should be competitive, but be aware the quality of your written application is going to be the greatest factor in determining whether you receive a place offer or not. Naturally if you have a rural background this will go a long way towards helping your application as well.

Tooth101

Lurker
If you have no tertiary study record then you’ll be considered as a school-leaver.

By “cut-off” are you referring to an ATAR cutoff? The answer is no, selection is based on a combination of rurality, your ATAR and written application. With your ATAR you should be competitive, but be aware the quality of your written application is going to be the greatest factor in determining whether you receive a place offer or not. Naturally if you have a rural background this will go a long way towards helping your application as well.

Thank you!

BapuG

Lurker
Just wondering what my odds are as an int year 12 leaver. 89 average h/s, with a 97 year 12 average. Volunteered at several rural dental camps. International student. Applied for JCU dent with no legacy. Reference letters from a dentist and h/s principal. Aged 17. What are my odds?

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey BapuG, unfortunately we don't have much data for JCU on here for dentistry admissions let alone international admissions. It's tough to say - your grades seem decent enough (though that's a statement made without any past data). I'm not too sure if international rural experiences count as JCU looks specifically for rural issues in Australia specifically. Reference letters seems fine. Admission is probably similar to medicine in that your written responses on the application for the program has a significant weighing on whether or not you're in the running. Fingers crossed that yours was good!

Let us know if you've any other questions and good luck!