Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU JCU Dentistry: Non-Standard Entry

Ayaz

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to start a thread for Non- Standard Applicants to JCU's Bachelor of Dental Surgery for 2019 entry. I would love to talk to some other applicants that are in the same boat as me! How are everyone's JCU written applications going? :)

Nori

Lurker
Hi Ayaz,

I finished and mailed the application on Wednesday. I'm worried about my application because they only offer 8-10 places for tertiary students. My last semester GPA was a 6.25, but I'm not so sure about this Semester and they weigh the most recent GPA more...

Good luck to both of us ;)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi :)

I also applied as a non-standard (also non-rural). I mailed my application on 27th of Sept. Have you guys received an email from JCU confirming they’ve received your application?
Don’t panic, it will take them a few weeks to sort through them all and send the confirmations through. They get a lot of applications! :)

I’m in the same boat. It seems like our likelihood of getting in is lower compared to non-standard applicants due to limited places they offer for applicants like us. Plus my GPA isn’t great. But having a solid dental background as an OHT until now and working rurally/remotely across different towns around NSW and Victoria is my only bullet for this application. I’ve only provided 2 but solid referees. Whether I get in or not, I know I’ve done my best for my application. Good luck everyone and don’t stress too much XD.

Question though, will it affect my application if I did not put JCU as my first preference?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Question though, will it affect my application if I did not put JCU as my first preference?
Nope, preference order won’t matter :) Though if you are eligible for an offer for a higher preference, naturally you will receive that over the JCU dentistry offer. Good luck!

Oreo

Hi, just wondering if there was anyone who still hasn’t received an email from JCU acknowledging that their written application has been received? Slightly concerned because last year I received confirmation within two days, and I understand that they have a lot applications to go through but interview offers will start rolling out soon too.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi, just wondering if there was anyone who still hasn’t received an email from JCU acknowledging that their written application has been received? Slightly concerned because last year I received confirmation within two days, and I understand that they have a lot applications to go through but interview offers will start rolling out soon too.

To clarify, are you a medicine or dentistry applicant (or both)? I ask as you’ve posted in the dentistry thread, and dentistry doesn’t host interviews. If you’re a medicine applicant and you’ve checked your junk/spam/promotions folder, I’d contact JCU ASAP as interviews will be released this week. If you’re only a dentistry applicant, I wouldn’t worry about it yet until later this month, as place offers for dentistry won’t be released until QTAC’s main offer round in January. Good luck!

Ann Alex

Hey guys, I want to apply for JCU for 2020- dentistry. I would be non school leaver and a non rural student plus an interstate student. I am quite qorried, heraing from others taht JCU prefers rural students. is this true?

also i would really appreciate if you all can give me some pointers for my written application. like what sort of things should i add on my application.
ps is there a thread for JCU 2020 dentsitry students?

I’m in the same boat. It seems like our likelihood of getting in is lower compared to non-standard applicants due to limited places they offer for applicants like us. Plus my GPA isn’t great. But having a solid dental background as an OHT until now and working rurally/remotely across different towns around NSW and Victoria is my only bullet for this application. I’ve only provided 2 but solid referees. Whether I get in or not, I know I’ve done my best for my application. Good luck everyone and don’t stress too much XD.

Did you end up getting in?

Hey guys!

I'm just confused about a few things, and I'm overthinking everything atm so I thought id ask :)

I'm interested in studying dentistry at jcu as a non-school leaver, and I left grade 12 without an OP or Ranking.

JCU recommended a pathways diploma to go into dentistry which I complete my first semester and got a GPA of 6.76. JCU and other dental students recommended to transfer to the Bachelor of Science as it is a common pathway and a bachelor degree is more weighted then a diploma, meaning my chances are higher? I am currently completing the all the pre reqs under b of science hoping to get into dentistry for 2021.

My only issue is, JCU goes off the GPA from the most recent course (b of science) and I'm only doing 3 subjects in 1 semester, will this effect my chances of getting in? (Est GPA 6.0+)

From what I've heard, the written application is weighted more then grades and I believe my application is competitive as Im from a rural background.

Please let me know what you think :)

A1

Rookie Doc
My only issue is, JCU goes off the GPA from the most recent course (b of science) and I'm only doing 3 subjects in 1 semester, will this effect my chances of getting in? (Est GPA 6.0+)

JCU requires one semester's study load or more for the GPA to count, however one semester converts very poorly to Rank compared to 1 full-time equiv (FTE) year. Your problem is if you don't have 8 subjects for 1 FTE by end of year your Bachelor GPA won't convert much better than a Diploma.

From what I've heard, the written application is weighted more then grades

We don't know the exact relative weightings between Rank (ATAR/GPA) and the written application. My impression is Rank is not insignificant based on posted data on MSO - out of 10 med interviewees I saw seven ATAR 99s vs two 98s vs one 97. Hopefully your rural status will make up for it.

JCU requires one semester's study load or more for the GPA to count, however one semester converts very poorly to Rank compared to 1 full-time equiv (FTE) year. Your problem is if you don't have 8 subjects for 1 FTE by end of year your Bachelor GPA won't convert much better than a Diploma.

We don't know the exact relative weightings between Rank (ATAR/GPA) and the written application. My impression is Rank is not insignificant based on posted data on MSO - out of 10 med interviewees I saw seven ATAR 99s vs two 98s vs one 97. Hopefully your rural status will make up for it.

Do you think that I should see If I could do the 3 subjects Im doing this semester under the diploma as it may be more weighted as I would have completed 6 subjects within the year, plus my GPA was 6.7 meaning it would bump my overall grade from this semester? Although on my written application, I wrote that i was completing b of science, will this affect it?

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
Do you think that I should see If I could do the 3 subjects Im doing this semester under the diploma as it may be more weighted as I would have completed 6 subjects within the year, plus my GPA was 6.7 meaning it would bump my overall grade from this semester? Although on my written application, I wrote that i was completing b of science, will this affect it?

Assuming you did 3 subjects in semester 1 and currently 3 subjects, unfortunately it seems you're in a no-win situation. If you manage to combine them into 6 subjects under either the Dip or the Bach it's still not 1 FTE (8 subjects) to convert better.

If you leave them as is, my interpretation is JCU will not count either group of 3 subjects for a GPA (since less than the one full-time semester required). Normally in this case they revert back to ATAR but you don't have one.

EtA: Also for general info, doing 3 subjects a semester = 75% study load you are deemed a full-time student for gov/Centrelink purposes but does not give 1 FTE semester for academic purpose.

Assuming you did 3 subjects in semester 1 and currently 3 subjects, unfortunately it seems you're in a no-win situation. If you manage to combine them into 6 subjects under either the Dip or the Bach it's still not 1 FTE (8 subjects) to convert better.

If you leave them as is, my interpretation is JCU will not count either group of 3 subjects for a GPA (since less than the one full-time semester required). Normally in this case they revert back to ATAR but you don't have one.

EtA: Also for general info, doing 3 subjects a semester = 75% study load you are deemed a full-time student for gov/Centrelink purposes but does not give 1 FTE semester for academic purpose.

Okay thankyou, do I still have a chance at JCU for 2021 entry or is it highly unlikely considering the following

A1

Rookie Doc
do I still have a chance at JCU for 2021 entry or is it highly unlikely

Worst case for you is if JCU doesn't take either of your 3-subject lots for a GPA, then without an ATAR you are not even in the running.

Best case is if you can combine the 6 subjects under your Bachelor program which converts to around 94.x, might give a chance with rural status

Degree study 0.75 to <1 year FTE
Grade point average
Selection rank
6.95 - 7.0094.95
6.90 - 6.9494.85
6.85 - 6.8994.75
6.80 - 6.8494.65
6.75 - 6.7994.55
6.70 - 6.7494.40
6.65 - 6.6994.30
6.60 - 6.6494.20
6.65 - 6.5994.10
6.50 - 6,5494.00

If you can only combine the 6 subjects under the Diploma it doesn't look promising with ATAR 90-91, even with rural status (but give it a try anyway). Your next option is to continue the Bachelor course one more year to get 8+ subjects and apply for 2022 entry.

Grade Point AverageSelection rank - AQF Diploma or AQF Undergraduate CertificateSelection rank - AQF Advanced Diploma
6.95+91.9598.95
6.75 – 6.9491.5098.50
6.50 – 6.7491.0098.00
6.25 - 6.4990.5097.00
6.00 - 6.2490.0096.00

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Okay thankyou, do I still have a chance at JCU for 2021 entry or is it highly unlikely considering the following
My interpretation is that conversion to rank by QTAC is important for the “screening” process so to speak, but as a non-standard applicant you’re in a separate pool to the school-leavers and as such it’s more competitive due to the very small number of places on offer.

I wish you the best of luck but unfortunately without a full time year completed (8 subjects), even with rurality, you won’t be competitive enough in the non-standard pool. You will likely have to try again for 2022 entry - I suggest you sit UCAT too so that you can apply more widely around the country if you’re willing to move.