Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU JCU Dentistry Rollcall 2013

Deere92

Lurker
Supposedly they give out courtesy calls before the first QTAC offer round. Although I've heard nothing.. Has anyone else heard anything yet?

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Supposedly they give out courtesy calls before the first QTAC offer round. Although I've heard nothing.. Has anyone else heard anything yet?

I think this is true, and from what I remember from hutch getting, its mid-late Jan.

REDmercury

James Cook University is a university that offers a substandard program, I am currently in first year and the lecturers are more interested in promoting the course than teaching, you get very little time to do actual practice in the simulation clinic and you cant access any one on one help. There is a combined chemistry course with general science students and the lecturer goes out of his way to make things tough for dentistry to the point he looks on a test to try and take marks off. It is not very professional and there are lecturers there who turn up 15 minutes late and are unprepared wearing bare feet. They are also having trouble with international accreditation and they have gone to great lengths to cover that up. They sent out emails saying they were working on it but then when anyone comments on it they get fed a bunch of lies. I am looking to transfer next year even though I am from Cairns and reccommend trying different Universities to complete your degree.
SOrry for the bit of a rant but people should know what they are getting themselves into

From someone who just finished the first year course last year, this is absolute dribble coming from someone being parochial. The chemistry lecturer literally gave us the exam through all the hint sessions and workshops and it would be dishonorable to complain, it just takes a little bit of study... The simulation clinic may be a valued commodity amongst students, but if anyone is struggling they offer weekly extra sessions. Dentistry lecturers being "barefoot" is also a fabrication. Essentially if you put in the effort to progress and improve, you get results.

jfry

Lurker
About when are we supposed to wait till?

If you're a domestic student you would've applied through QTAC so the 17th of January is when the first offers for dent come out. But apparently successful applicants are called before this date. I know of people who have been called in previous years.. :)

Deere92

Lurker
A lot of people didn't get called last year, and just got offers through QTAC. It doesn't seem like many people are getting calls this year either, even looking at Medicine forums for JCU not many have been called.. Maybe they're just being super slack this year?

drfatcat

ICU Reg (Monash)
Any one got the QTAC minimum requirement changed to James Cook? Mine still says QTAC :(

REDmercury

Do not wait and expect for a courtesy call, after all it is just a courtesy right? I found out about my offer through QTAC on the day they were released, that is the be all and end all.

Deere92

Lurker
Hey guys, just letting you know QTAC has already updated, just got offered a place then! Good luck to everyone!

Steved

Just got my offer for dent at jcu. Looks like a big love is on the cards. All the way from Hobart.... Look forward to seeing everyone soon.

tripppaa

Woohoo!!! After 4 yrs of trying I've finally been accepted. Good luck to everyone else. To those who got offers see ya at Uni!