Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU JCU Interview Weighting

AndyWang

Lurker
Just wondering, now that interviews are give out, upon what basis are offers given? Is it 50% interview, 50% atar or does the application also come in to play?

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
This information isn't openly disclosed by JCU and likely changes year to year based on the applicants in that intake. My personal experience and having looked a some data that MSO has collected over the last few years and some conversations I've had with interviewers has led me to believe that:
1) Your written application is a hurdle - once you have an interview it not longer counts as anything
2) Your rurality plays a key part, though this is not entirely assessed by whether you are from a rural area alone but also a mix of how much you seem to know about rural medicine, how prepared you are for it and how much you seem to want to practice it. Essentially this is an assessment of your 'fit' at the university.
3) Your ATAR or GPA play a far less significant role than your interview, though obviously a higher ATAR means you have a better chance.

In short, if you consider the ATAR a linear score out of 100 then a 99.95 is only 5% different to a 94. That 5% difference can easily be made up or lost in an interview. As far as I am aware this is about the most information you will get on the matter from JCU unless you find someone who is privy to the process and willing to disclose information.

TropDoc

Hey Ben,

Word from the college is rankings and offers are based on 33:33:33 of GPA/ATAR: Application: Interview score.

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Hey Ben,

Word from the college is rankings and offers are based on 33:33:33 of GPA/ATAR: Application: Interview score.

I agree with you but it is more complicated than that. Rurality for example is not included in your breakdown and is an enormous component of the rankings.

Similarly, given that the majority of applicants who make it to an interview have an ATAR/GPA + Application score likely above 80% it comes about that the major distinguishing factor is the interview process itself.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads