Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU Med 2012 (Interview and Admissions Offers)

Farmacist

With the amount of applications that come in I wouldn't be surprised if they are sending them out as a bulk some time this month. If you are worried, I am sure they can check on the computer system with your application number.

I know this wont make you feel better. But I received my letter back 3 days after I sent it ( LOL^).
Having said that, Hutcho is probably right and they send them in bulk to different states etc.
Call them and check - your best option
Gluck buddy.

iw2bad

Yea I meant september. With all this uni stress i forgot which month is this :p
Anyway I called them up and they transferred me to faculty officer's voicemail. Have recorded 2 messages already so really cant do anything more. Just hoping its taking time to come from QL to NSW.

which state did you apply from?
I know this wont make you feel better. But I received my letter back 3 days after I sent it ( LOL^).
Having said that, Hutcho is probably right and they send them in bulk to different states etc.
Gluck buddy.

rellikami

Well I received mine from JCU. Are you sure you attached a stamp on your envelope?

In any case, I'm sure its just some sort of clerical mix up and your application is absolutely fine.

Oh, and in case you were wondering I applied from NSW.

trelle

I haven't received a letter yet either :\
I sent my application on the 27th of september and it was postmarked + sent via express, so I'm pretty sure I did what the application outlined I had to do.
Should I contact the med school?

Also from NSW

mighty

I haven't received a letter yet either :\
I sent my application on the 27th of september and it was postmarked + sent via express, so I'm pretty sure I did what the application outlined I had to do.
Should I contact the med school?

Also from NSW
Don't stress about it til the month is out. I had to wait a while til I got mine. They are probably just waiting for straggle apps to reach them and then they'll do a mass send out of the returns letters. Good luck :)

Farmacist

Gluck buddy.

They sent the letter to VIC. However they received my application from NSW.
Im sure you will get yours shortly - As long as you stamped the envelope and put the correct details.
In the end of the day , it truly doesn't matter if you get it or not... As long as they have your application.
All the best.

trelle

Don't stress about it til the month is out. I had to wait a while til I got mine. They are probably just waiting for straggle apps to reach them and then they'll do a mass send out of the returns letters. Good luck :)

Thanks for that, puts my mind at a bit of ease so I can tackle my next hsc exam on Friday! :)

iw2bad

Later I called them up again and they basically said the same thing. Don't worry about it. As long as you posted before the 30th sept, it has been accepted. And the funny thing was just as I ending the call , I heard the mailman putting the letter in the mailbox. :)
So relax. You guys will probably be getting it soon as well.

veva

Lurker
Hi everyone. I got an OP 3 in 2011 and took a gap year for 2012, but do not have any rural background. Do I have a chance at JCU medicine?

thecrate

Hi everyone. I got an OP 3 in 2011 and took a gap year for 2012, but do not have any rural background. Do I have a chance at JCU medicine?

Hi [MENTION=16156]veva[/MENTION], your chances strongly depend on first, your written application, and second, your interview. You won't be rejected based purely on an OP3 and many students are accepted who attained OPs of 2, 3, 4 and even 5 in some cases. So fingers crossed and goodluck for interview offers!

DrChopper

Hi @veva , your chances strongly depend on first, your written application, and second, your interview. You won't be rejected based purely on an OP3 and many students are accepted who attained OPs of 2, 3, 4 and even 5 in some cases. So fingers crossed and goodluck for interview offers!
[MENTION=10091]alexanderthecrate[/MENTION] when abouts did they send out offers when you were applying?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
2011 for 2012 intake:

I got my place offer on 10th Jan (phonecall and then a letter), and my interview offer on 28th Dec (although mine was in the round post-ATARs) for an interview on the 7th Jan.

edit: from asking friends, it seems that pre-ATAR interview offers were given out late November

Last edited:

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hey Guys how do you let the uni that your up for a bonded spot ?

They'll automatically offer the bottom 25% Bonded spots on a "take-it-or-leave-it" basis from memory. I think they assume everyone is up for a Bonded spot at JCU.

(applying for the MRBS is a different issue though)

veva

Lurker
Hi alexanderthecrate. Thanks for your reply. It is somewhat reassuring that they can take my OP, provided I do well as you said, in the written application and hopefully the interview. Do you know of applicants accepted into JCU medicine without any rural background? I know it would be a bonus to have it, but since I don't, I am very anxious.

thecrate

@alexanderthecrate when abouts did they send out offers when you were applying?

Well this is going back a fair few years but after doing some research (flight itinerary and circumstantial evidence - such as being in Tasmania when my parents got my phone call). In 2008 for 2009 intake:
Interview Offer
I got my interview offer around the 19th of November. I'm not 100% sure this was the date, but it was the date I booked my flight to Townsville for the interview and I'm pretty on the ball with these kinds of things so I would imagine it was the same day I received the letter.
Phone Call
I got my phone call saying that JCU would offer me a place between the 23rd and 25th of December (I've heard they also make phone calls on Christmas and Boxing Day too), and at this time you are required to indicate yes or no even though you can still decline the QTAC offer. The reason you have to indicate yes or no at this time is because the uni wants to get in as many potential 2nd round applicants as possible to give people like @Rohitpi a chance :p

Although this was some years ago the important dates really haven't changed, so give or take a week from those dates and thats a pretty good indication of when interview offers will start flowing out.

Hey Guys how do you let the uni that your up for a bonded spot ?

Yep, the bottom ~25% of ranked applicants are offered bonded places. As far as I know ranking is based only on your actual OP/ATAR and interview ranking.

[OFFTOPIC]@Rohitpi ! On the ball this arvo, answering all the questions that I actually have information about!! *Growls* (My quest for hatbox continues)...[/OFFTOPIC]
Hi alexanderthecrate. Thanks for your reply. It is somewhat reassuring that they can take my OP, provided I do well as you said, in the written application and hopefully the interview. Do you know of applicants accepted into JCU medicine without any rural background? I know it would be a bonus to have it, but since I don't, I am very anxious.

Yes a significant portion of the intake is from urban areas. Of course coming from a rural area is favourable and might give some leverage as to your OP and further consideration (I know rural people who have gotten in with a 7 - definitely wouldn't happen with urban applicants), but even if you are from an urban background as long as you show passion or consideration for rural practice and are genuinely interested, you still have a chance. Rurality is advantageous, but not essential and by no means a pre-requisite.

Hey guys, I applied for JCU Dent + Med, I was just wondering whether they send out interviews based only on my first semesters results? Seeing as thats the thing I sent to them... (I don't my application was that great to be honest) I;m assuming that after my 2nd semester results come out (22nd Nov) and I sent my academic transcript to them ,they give out offers on the 6th January for non-standards, is ths correct? Thanks