Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU Med 2012 (Interview and Admissions Offers)

thecrate

Yep it wouldn't hurt to just give them a call and check :)

meh

yeah, I did put a stamp on it :mellow: I called them up yesterday and they said it might have gotten lost in the mail :'( the guy on the phone also told me to e-mail the faculty which I have done.
@vtn I'm from Melbourne too! Could it possibly be an interstate thing?

Last edited:

vtn

Hi [MENTION=15791]meh[/MENTION] i have received the envelope today.They have send it from Townsville on the 29th of oct .Hope you can get it today too.

meh

apparently my mum said we got a letter from some university (but she can't remember which one) and she said it was empty but stamped on the outside..she threw it away =.= must have been from JCU

Celtic

Mine came back the week after I sent it. It was stamped as received on the last open date,wheeeee! I sent it only two days before from rural NZ. Can't believe I left it so late.

mewhenim

Not accepting my pre-requisitesf

So I was thinking I had a pretty good shot with James Cook University, (but I've applied everywhere that takes non school leavers) and now it looks like QTAC, SATAC and UAC will not accept my USA math, chem and english. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I clearly no longer meet the pre-requisites :(

My new plan is to start the Bachelor of Science (general) with JCU and take the math bridging course. I will then apply for 2014 entry with my fancy new chemistry units, plus math and I QTAC sounded like I will get english as well. Is this the best path? Has anyone that's had to do something similar got any advice?

DanNQ

So I was thinking I had a pretty good shot with James Cook University, (but I've applied everywhere that takes non school leavers) and now it looks like QTAC, SATAC and UAC will not accept my USA math, chem and english. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I clearly no longer meet the pre-requisites :(

My new plan is to start the Bachelor of Science (general) with JCU and take the math bridging course. I will then apply for 2014 entry with my fancy new chemistry units, plus math and I QTAC sounded like I will get english as well. Is this the best path? Has anyone that's had to do something similar got any advice?

Just to clarify, will you get recognition for your english subject? If not, that changes everything:

In the BSc you can pick up Maths, Chem, Physics and Biology which can help with your med application but you will not be able to pick up the English pre-req as it is not a subject offered in that degree. I'm also doing the BSc next year at JCU (Cairns) and after numerous discussions with course co-ordinators and administration, english isn't part of it (I wanted to get a credit for the english subject but because it's not offered as part of course structure, it can't be done).

At best, the only thing I can suggest (and I know another student currently doing something similair to get into med), is do the Diploma of Science which will give you the Maths, Chem and English pre-reqs and then transfer into into a degree. From what I've been told by JCU staff, applicants need to have completed at least 12 months of a bachelor degree before they'll even be considered for medicine, and that's on top of the minimum 5.75 GPA. So you'll be looking at 18 months of study before you can apply for med.

If you can get recognition for the english subject you have already done, then you should be able to just jump straight into the degree.

happyhappyland

If you care about staying in townsville then DanNQ method would be the best.

Otherwise, if you start a Bachelor of Science at Uq or Melbourne Uni (Having been in both) you can take English courses that SHOULD be sufficient for the prerequisite. You would need to contact the unis but I know they do have Maths and chemistry that will definitely satisfy JCU prerequisites. I guess its too late if you havnt applied...

mewhenim

Just to clarify, will you get recognition for your english subject? If not, that changes everything:

In the BSc you can pick up Maths, Chem, Physics and Biology which can help with your med application but you will not be able to pick up the English pre-req as it is not a subject offered in that degree. I'm also doing the BSc next year at JCU (Cairns) and after numerous discussions with course co-ordinators and administration, english isn't part of it (I wanted to get a credit for the english subject but because it's not offered as part of course structure, it can't be done).

At best, the only thing I can suggest (and I know another student currently doing something similair to get into med), is do the Diploma of Science which will give you the Maths, Chem and English pre-reqs and then transfer into into a degree. From what I've been told by JCU staff, applicants need to have completed at least 12 months of a bachelor degree before they'll even be considered for medicine, and that's on top of the minimum 5.75 GPA. So you'll be looking at 18 months of study before you can apply for med.

If you can get recognition for the english subject you have already done, then you should be able to just jump straight into the degree.

Thank you so much, this will be a great back up plan, I wish the lady I spoke to had mentioned it I have been really stressing because QTAC have said they may recognise english since I've done half a bachelors degree, but couldn't give me a definitive answer. It would be good to have another preference on the list. I've moved all the way from Texas, all my family is in Victoria, but I am REALLY keen to got to JCU, I'm just sure it's the perfect school for me! Thanks for the great advice!

Hey guys just wanted to clarify something, to receive an interview offer for a non-standard do they rank people on half GPA and half application, and then after the interview, rank the students down from interview + GPA only?

thecrate

Hey guys just wanted to clarify something, to receive an interview offer for a non-standard do they rank people on half GPA and half application, and then after the interview, rank the students down from interview + GPA only?

From what I've heard that is correct. The written application is purely a hurdle for interview selection for both standard and non-standard applicants.

mar94

Same boat as you from toronto,applied to JCU medicine, in my first year of BSc here in Toronto! I got my interview, went pretty well i'd say hopefully and now waiting on the offer. My interview was on the 30th of October. What date do you think i should hopefully get my offer by? Also would the offer be via email for us international-canadian applicants?

Thank You so much!
Mohammed

mewhenim

They are accepting enough English for me to do the Bachelor of Science- General, have also applied for the Diploma of science in case I don't get in to the Bachelors. English is apparently covered by one year of any full time bachelors level study, and also by the diploma, so I should be good. Hopefully I'll see you up there in February!

SurfAddict

My girlfriend is still waiting for her offer. Can they come out soon??? :wacko: