Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU Medicine 2018 General Discussion

drpkjr

Hi I am applying for JCU and have experienced some family hardship in the last couple of years. I have contacted JCU and they have told me to explain the circumstances in question 4 on the application... Does anyone know how much JCU takes non rural issues into consideration when selecting candidates for interviews?

Sithedog

Are there any early offers made for JCU MBBS? If there is, what would the date be? Much appreciated.

Interview offers come out around 10th November as per last year if you get an interview then if successful including atar/op scores you may get a phone call a week before offers come out around Jan 16th.

PimpOfRivia

Interview offers come out around 10th November as per last year if you get an interview then if successful including atar/op scores you may get a phone call a week before offers come out around Jan 16th.

Cheersss I'm already starting to feel the heat xD

lillysayse

MBBS III
Hi everyone. Getting nervous now, really hope to hear something positive soon!
Getting concerned that I haven't met the prerequisite though. My QTAC account says it hasn't been determined yet if I've met the chemistry and maths prerequisites. Anyone else's say that? (I'm a non-standard applicant)

Good luck everyone!

PimpOfRivia

Hi everyone. Getting nervous now, really hope to hear something positive soon!
Getting concerned that I haven't met the prerequisite though. My QTAC account says it hasn't been determined yet if I've met the chemistry and maths prerequisites. Anyone elses say that?

Good luck everyone!

Thanks, Good luck to you too!

Hmm just curious, did you not meet the prerequisites as in due to an error made by QTAC? Or did you not study chemistry and maths B equivalent in your final year of High school? If it's an error I would call up QTAC immediately (during business hours of course)

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed you're a non-standard. Oh well, ignore the content above :)

Last edited:

lillysayse

MBBS III
Hi,

I'm from WA and didn't complete those subjects in high school, but I did do them in university. I phoned QTAC and they told me to contact JCU, so I'm waiting for JCU now. Here's hoping!

RRRR

hey everyone, just wondering if an atar of 96 is enough for jcu as a rural, i lived in a ra2 area for 5 year but then moved to the city to finish yr 12. im on a gap year. i also did get an interview last year but wasnt enough i guess anyhows i wanted to get a estimate of my chances
thank you in advance

Estimate of your chances = 50%.
If you didn't get in last year, then it'd be frankly stupid to believe that you'd get in this year, unless you have done something extraordinarily brilliant that separates you from the cohort. Additionally, there's FAR fewer seats for non-standard applicants - making it EVEN harder.
I would honestly look down the GAMSAT pathway if I were you...

B2

Estimate of your chances = 50%.
If you didn't get in last year, then it'd be frankly stupid to believe that you'd get in this year, unless you have done something extraordinarily brilliant that separates you from the cohort. Additionally, there's FAR fewer seats for non-standard applicants - making it EVEN harder.
I would honestly look down the GAMSAT pathway if I were you...

Slightly harsh there. Just to pick up on what you have said, the chances of getting in this year remain the same for you as they were last year. As you have not been able to improve your ATAR, with another good written application, you may be able to get another interview. An ATAR of 96 is definitely on the lower ends for a medicine place offer, but with a near to top interview anything can happen so don't lose hope !

Ruturaj, a gap year is not considered to be a non standard applicant, they are still regarded as school leavers.

Last edited:

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
then it'd be frankly stupid to believe that you'd get in this year
Perhaps an alternative phrase might have been "you would be optimistic". It's not an easy time for a lot of people at the moment; there are usually friendly ways to say things.

In B2 s view it will all come down firstly to the written application and then, if invited, to the interview performance.

Josht4971 Good luck

RRRR

Perhaps an alternative phrase might have been "you would be optimistic". It's not an easy time for a lot of people at the moment; there are usually friendly ways to say things.

In B2 s view it will all come down firstly to the written application and then, if invited, to the interview performance.

Josht4971 Good luck

Yes, of course, I do understand that it a very stressful time for all applications however I want to be as candid as possible while delivering my answer. I am in no way discouraging Josht4971 from applying, but rather saying that with that ATAR, an extraordinary application is required to get an interview.

I do understand that we need to be protective of people's feelings and emotions, but the truth is that sometimes, being honest is the best way to go. Sugarcoating things will only make matters worse for him - I rather he learns the harsh truth than the comfortable lie. These Forums, although supportive, also need to be informative, and after having overseen applications of many applicants, I am able to provide judgement based on my experiences .
Best of luck Josht4971 , keep trying :)

C

Cookie

Look, there's a difference between being candid and being harsh, and saying that "it'd be stupid to believe" that he would get in is leaning towards the harsh side.

Josht4971 Considering that you're rural, I'd honestly say that with a good application and a good interview would definitely provide you a chance at getting an offer. JCU looks favourably upon rural applicants, so while a 96 ATAR is on the lower spectrum for non-rural applicants, it is ever so slightly higher for rural applicants. Last year, someone with OP 4 (ATAR 94.00-95.00) who had rural status got a bonded place. So don't lose hope! :D

Hi Everyone

I am from NSW non-rural and new to this forum. Just wondering whether a 98 - 99 ATAR (predicted) with a decent application is enough to gain an interview offer from JCU? I am highly confident about my application hoping that I have addressed in depth on topics that really matters. Your views will be much appreciated.

RRRR

Being INTERSTATE and NON-RURAL complicates it.
To judge your chances, you need to explain abit more. What do you define as a 'decent application'?
Remember, many can talk the talk but few can show that they've walked the walk

I am one of the few you are referring to. I have seen FEW people from my suburb managed to get into JCU with the similar kind of ATAR a year ago. I have addressed all the important issues which I believe I need to mention in my application and also reviewed this with few of my well wishers who are leading professionals in Medicine and some of them are teaching staff as well. I am confident that my application will speak when they assess my application for interview. Anyway thanks for your time...

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I am one of the few you are referring to. I have seen FEW people from my suburb managed to get into JCU with the similar kind of ATAR a year ago. I have addressed all the important issues which I believe I need to mention in my application and also reviewed this with few of my well wishers who are leading professionals in Medicine and some of them are teaching staff as well. I am confident that my application will speak when they assess my application for interview. Anyway thanks for your time...
You seem very confident with your application and have a strong predicted ATAR, perhaps you can answer your own question here? As you are probably aware JCU weighs the written application heavily for interview offers, and similarly weighs the interview heavily for actual place offers. Best of luck!