Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU Medicine 2018 General Discussion

Dhu Boy

Lurker
Hi,

Just wanted to say hi and start a discussion for JCU 2018.

HI
I am in process to fill the application form, and wanted some guidence to respone below questions.

What activities (paid employment, work experience or voluntary work) have you undertaken, in addition to your studies, which indicate your motivation to study Medicine or another Health Professional degree at James Cook University?

Why do you want to become a Medical Practitioner / Health Professional?

Tell us why you are interested in a course where important themes are Indigenous and tropical health and rural/remote medicine?
Provide any other information you believe will support your application. (Shall I just provide the support letter here?

Thank you very much

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff

hadi

Lurker
Hi Ben
I've been invited for the interview last year but couldn't get into medicine.
Should i write another application form this year or writing again of my last application is enough?
Do they compare/check your application to last year?
thanks in advance

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
How's it going

I'm in year 11 and an aspiring medical student. I live in an RA4 area (Alice Springs) and was wondering what type of atar/umat will enable me for an interview at JCU or any uni for that matter.
Thanks for any information

Hello :D

There are pretty 'forgiving' (though obviously, in the scheme of things, still competitive) requirements for NT students that I've noted for Charles Darwin Uni (which, IIRC, is a provisional program combined with an SA uni? Perhaps Flinders?). Obviously apply widely, but we tend to get very little information about this (CDU) route to Medicine, so if you do end up applying, we would appreciate any information you might be happy to share!

ETA: Just noticed you're in year 11, so the above advice/request from me is probably a little premature. Best of luck with the rest of this year and your move into year 12.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Can confirm the CDU places are Flinders places - these are 'forgiving' only by the cutoffs required. The quota is 12 people of which (I think) 5 are ATSI and 7 are non-ATSI rural/remote. The cutoffs for this are not terribly different to other ATSI cutoffs/rural cutoffs elsewhere in Australia (given the degree of remoteness they are looking for). That said, Alice Springs definitely qualifies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Can confirm the CDU places are Flinders places - these are 'forgiving' only by the cutoffs required. The quota is 12 people of which (I think) 5 are ATSI and 7 are non-ATSI rural/remote. The cutoffs for this are not terribly different to other ATSI cutoffs/rural cutoffs elsewhere in Australia (given the degree of remoteness they are looking for). That said, Alice Springs definitely qualifies.

I just recall someone getting a place with a UMAT of 28th %ile (rural but not indigenous), so it seemed the rural requirements were fairly generous.

A1

Rookie Doc
I just recall someone getting a place with a UMAT of 28th %ile (rural but not indigenous)

If this is the same student I'm thinking of, he later clarified not even rural since he only migrated to Aus 2 years before so didn't meet the 5 years requirement. Quite remarkable that non-rural got a CDU spot with like 94.x + 28th %ile (although his NT rural school's 5 bonus points would have boosted it to 98.50).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
If this is the same student I'm thinking of, he later clarified not even rural since he only migrated to Aus 2 years before so didn't meet the 5 years requirement. Quite remarkable that non-rural got a CDU spot with like 94.x + 28th %ile (although his NT rural school's 5 bonus points would have boosted it to 98.50).

Yeah, it must be: the below is from my collated data post and I've even edited out the rural status at some point (I remember the migration part of the story now that you mention it).

Charles Darwin University(/Flinders University)
Medicine
28th %ile, 94.50, NT school leaver and resident

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Hi Ben
I've been invited for the interview last year but couldn't get into medicine.
Should i write another application form this year or writing again of my last application is enough?
Do they compare/check your application to last year?
thanks in advance

My usual advice is that while the theme / main topics you talk about will likely stay the same you should try & improve on your application if you can. Whether that means adding a few extra bits in, rewording a couple sentences or completely re-writing things depends on how much has changed since you last applied.

Yoda

Muscle MAn
Hi there
Can anyone recommend on campus JCU accomodation please. I really don't even know where to start. thanks

D

Deleted member 34945

hi guys,
Did anyone apply with a foundation course as a school leaver?
Also what is the lowest ATAR an offer was made?
Thanks

MedEnt101

Hey guys

I’ve been successful in gaining TWO interviews at JCU and have a wealth of knowledge with interviews in addition to a successful post graduate interview and a place.

Message me if you’d like to practice or any help and we can take things further.

All the best

Last edited:

1234med

Hey guys

I’ve been successful in gaining TWO interviews at JCU and have a wealth of knowledge with interviews in addition to a successful post graduate interview and a place.

Message me if you’d like to practice or any help and we can take things further.

All the best
Interested! Can't message you, so could you message me?

May

Hey,
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the chances are to get second round offer for med/dent at JCU with a gpa of 6.7/7 (ist year of uni), atar of 99.3 and I am non-standard and non-rural?
Oh and also I am from NZ :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey,
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the chances are to get second round offer for med/dent at JCU with a gpa of 6.7/7 (ist year of uni), atar of 99.3 and I am non-standard and non-rural?
Oh and also I am from NZ :)

We really can’t advise on “chances” for JCU due to the emphasis on the written application. JCU only have a minimum of spots available for non-standard applicants, and being non-rural will also make things trickier. You’ll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: May