• UCAT results are out! Just kidding, I'm just testing the notices system. Cheers, Mana

JCU Medicine + Dentistry 2018

Gemsik121

Hey Guys!!

There doesn't seem to be any threads for entry to med + dentistry for the upcoming year, so decided to make one myself. I am not really sure about whether we submit 2 written responses for medicine and dentistry or just submit one as they will be essentially the same? If we are to submit two separate responses, is it acceptable to have same content for each? For example, changing the word doctor to dentist and vice versa. I seemed to find contradicting information in this matter.

Similarly, the application forms in JCU website seems to be for entry to 2017, so does anyone have any idea as to when the new response questions will be up in JCU website. Also, I am currently doing Maths Methods (previously known as Maths Studies in South Australia). Is that equivalent to the prerequisite Maths B?

Apart from the aforementioned questions, any general tips on JCU med from those who got accepted last year or before, will also be highly appreciated. For example, what kind of information was in the letter of recommendations and who did you guys get to write the letters.

LMG!

Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018
@Benjamin might be able to help you out with this later, but in the meantime, here is a thread that might answer your questions (authored by Ben, also). There's definitely a discussion of your first question. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any current JCU regulars here at MSO at the moment.

JCU Admissions, lifestyle, workload and anything else you want to know | Med Students Online

ETA: I also recall someone only in the last week or so discussing the Maths Methods -- Maths B conundrum. I'll see if I can find that.

Found it!! It's on the second page of this thread: Year 11 and 12 Subject Selection | Page 2 | Med Students Online

Last edited:
Reactions: B2

Gemsik121

@Benjamin might be able to help you out with this later, but in the meantime, here is a thread that might answer your questions (authored by Ben, also). There's definitely a discussion of your first question. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any current JCU regulars here at MSO at the moment.

JCU Admissions, lifestyle, workload and anything else you want to know | Med Students Online

ETA: I also recall someone only in the last week or so discussing the Maths Methods -- Maths B conundrum. I'll see if I can find that.

Found it!! It's on the second page of this thread: Year 11 and 12 Subject Selection | Page 2 | Med Students Online

Thanks LMG :) :) I am quite new in this forum, I was wondering if u are aware of any forum regarding past JCU interview question, if yes, would be super grateful if u can link me

tday14

Hi everyone,
can someone please tell me the approximate time the second round for medicine interview offers come out. Also I got an OP4 and pretty much straight A's and one B for math c, is this enough to get an offer

LMG!

Hi everyone,
can someone please tell me the approximate time the second round for medicine interview offers come out. Also I got an OP4 and pretty much straight A's and one B for math c, is this enough to get an offer
Second round interview invites came out yesterday in the early afternoon. Several were reported here to MSO. There may be more sent today, but we don't know yet. Given the subjective nature of the written application, we can't really give you much useful/accurate information regarding your JCU chances. Are you a rural applicant?

tday14

Second round interview invites came out yesterday in the early afternoon. Several were reported here to MSO. There may be more sent today, but we don't know yet. Given the subjective nature of the written application, we can't really give you much useful/accurate information regarding your JCU chances. Are you a rural applicant?
I'm more of a regional applicant, I am situated in Bundaberg. On my application they state that the second round interview offers come out today. But will I also get an email saying that I didn't get in?

LMG!

I'm more of a regional applicant, I am situated in Bundaberg. On my application they state that the second round interview offers come out today. But will I also get an email saying that I didn't get in?
Do you qualify as a rural applicant by JCU's standards? I was going to use this information to perhaps give you some idea of your academic competitiveness.

And no, we don't believe 'rejection' emails are sent (as per a comment from someone yesterday), but I don't know that for sure. We recognise that on the application it indicated second round interview invites would come out today, but we had multiple invites received and reported to MSO yesterday afternoon so clearly they came out a day early.

tday14

Do you qualify as a rural applicant by JCU's standards? I was going to use this information to perhaps give you some idea of your academic competitiveness.

And no, we don't believe 'rejection' emails are sent (as per a comment from someone yesterday), but I don't know that for sure. We recognise that on the application it indicated second round interview invites would come out today, but we had multiple invites received and reported to MSO yesterday afternoon so clearly they came out a day early.
Yes I am recognised as a rural applicant

Alright thank you

LMG!

Yes I am recognised as a rural applicant

Alright thank you
As a rural applicant, with a Maths C bonus, you're definitely academically competitive. But as I mentioned, the written application is very difficult to judge. Best of luck for more invites today :)

tday14

As a rural applicant, with a Maths C bonus, you're definitely academically competitive. But as I mentioned, the written application is very difficult to judge. Best of luck for more invites today :)
Thank you so much. Just a last question is there a specific time the offers may come out?

LMG!

Thank you so much. Just a last question is there a specific time the offers may come out?
Yesterday it was early afternoon, I believe. Maybe a little after 2pm? Attempts to contact JCU were greeted with a message that admissions is closed for the holidays, so it was possibly an automated email.

tday14

Yesterday it was early afternoon, I believe. Maybe a little after 2pm? Attempts to contact JCU were greeted with a message that admissions is closed for the holidays, so it was possibly an automated email.
Okay, thank you very much :)

toothfairy13

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the written application for dental.

I already have dental shadowing experience and also do volunteer work BUT I don't really have any rural/remote area experiences. I was wondering, if I wanted to shadow a dentist from rural areas, how would I go about doing this? I live in Sydney so do I just google dentists and then call them up and see if they'll allow me to shadow them for a few days?

This maybe a stupid question but anyone with rural experience, please help!!

Perplex

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the written application for dental.

I already have dental shadowing experience and also do volunteer work BUT I don't really have any rural/remote area experiences. I was wondering, if I wanted to shadow a dentist from rural areas, how would I go about doing this? I live in Sydney so do I just google dentists and then call them up and see if they'll allow me to shadow them for a few days?

This maybe a stupid question but anyone with rural experience, please help!!
I'm not very familiar with the JCU application process beyond the fact they want a written application. I imagine they scrutinise the content of these applications and try their best to select genuine responses.
Unfortunately, I don't think a few days in a rural dental practice will give you a very good understanding of what the practice would encompass. I would imagine being there for a longer period of time would be more beneficial for your understanding.
I also don't think that a few days would be looked up very favourably in the application; I'd imagine they want experience over a longer period of time.

That's my 5 cents. Perhaps someone with more experience with the JCU process could help out.

toothfairy13

I'm not very familiar with the JCU application process beyond the fact they want a written application. I imagine they scrutinise the content of these applications and try their best to select genuine responses.
Unfortunately, I don't think a few days in a rural dental practice will give you a very good understanding of what the practice would encompass. I would imagine being there for a longer period of time would be more beneficial for your understanding.
I also don't think that a few days would be looked up very favourably in the application; I'd imagine they want experience over a longer period of time.

That's my 5 cents. Perhaps someone with more experience with the JCU process could help out.
Hi Perplex,

Thanks for your response!

I would love to shadow for more than a few days but I am from Sydney so I'd have to travel elsewhere and I don't know if there are any dentists who will actually let me shadow for a long period of time :(

Tomato

Hi Perplex,

Thanks for your response!

I would love to shadow for more than a few days but I am from Sydney so I'd have to travel elsewhere and I don't know if there are any dentists who will actually let me shadow for a long period of time :(

Since JCU has no clear cut-off for ATAR and does not need UMAT, many people think they may have a "reasonable" chance to get in. I don't think JCU is a "good" last resort ;) If you cannot get any offers elsewhere, you may be very stressful and disappointed at the end if you solely rely on JCU because their admission process is very unpredictable. My suggestion is to work hard on your ATAR and UMAT. To meet UQ, UAdelaide and La Trobe dentistry's requirement seems more practical.