Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU JCU Medicine: General Entry Discussion

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Hey guys, Does anyone know by when do the pre-requisite bridging courses need to be completed?
When I last looked into this there actually wasn't anything I could find on the JCU website regarding bridging courses.

I would recommend directly e-mailing the School of Medicine and then whatever you find out posting here.

Medgod

Lurker
Full time just means taking the standard courseload per semester - the MBBS programs is set up so all the subjects are pre-chosen (except the third year elective) and subject in each year are chained (i.e. you fail the year, not the semester).

A full courseload in the MBBS program equates to about 20hrs of timetable classes, with the expectation that an additional 20hrs of study occurs outside hours (in reality this is not the case for many students in preclinical years).

My typical year 2 timetable looked like: 24.5hrs +/- 2hrs
Monday = 5hrs
1 x GLS = 3hrs
2 x SS = 2hrs

Tuesday = 4hrs
2 x SS = 2 hrs
1 x Int = 2hrs

Wednesday = 4.5hrs
3 x lectures = 3hrs
1 x CS session = 1.5hrs

Thursday = 5hrs
1x Lecture = 1hr
1x GLS = 3hrs
1x HG = 1hrs

Friday = 6hrs
2 x GLS = 6hrs

GLS = guided learning sessions, big group driven questions on content
SS = synthesise session - summarise and extend the week's content
HG = homegroup - weekly debrief and activities in small groups
Int = integrative session - info the crosses between different subjects on a particular content area
CS = Clinical skills - learn actual physical examinations and techniques required to practice as a doctor
Okay, thank you so much, makes sense!

angry_mask

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew what the procedure for NSW applicants is as our ATARs are releasing a week after JCU first round offers?

IttyKitty

Hey. This is on the QTAC website. The 28th seems to be the first offer round for NSW and ACT etc

Attachments

• 9EFC90C6-E87F-4FF2-B004-1FD74388B97D.png
    9EFC90C6-E87F-4FF2-B004-1FD74388B97D.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 59
Not sure if this question belongs here, but does JCU allow you to defer an offer for medicine? Though I don't mind going to Townsville to study, I would love to stay in NSW, closer to home. My plan is to apply for med schools closer to home next year. If I don't get in then I always have JCU to fall back on. I also want to take a year off to visit my family overseas and sort out other personal things. Is that a possibility if I get an offer from JCU?

Dark Horse

MBBS4 (JCU)
Not sure if this question belongs here, but does JCU allow you to defer an offer for medicine? Though I don't mind going to Townsville to study, I would love to stay in NSW, closer to home. My plan is to apply for med schools closer to home next year. If I don't get in then I always have JCU to fall back on. I also want to take a year off to visit my family overseas and sort out other personal things. Is that a possibility if I get an offer from JCU?
Hi Jim,
Yes, you can defer an offer for medicine at JCU. The University’s rule is that you must finish the degree in 10 years from the time of offer. This means that since the degree is 6 years long, you can defer up to 4 years or fail and repeat up to 4 years, a combination of the both, or just go through in 6 years. This includes being able to defer years between the offer and starting 1st year. Hope this helps.

Stapedius

JCU MBBS VI
Valued Member
Just adding a bit more clarity to Dark Horse's response, you can defer starting the course for up to 12 months. While you can do anything including apply for other med schools during that 12 months with no specific restrictions as far as I'm aware, your offer will lapse if you choose to not take it up after 12 months. However just FYI, once you do start, the technical term is no longer "deferral", it's called a leave of absence and a leave of absence is up to (3) years total (but can be spaced out, or in one go). Dark Horse is correct in that you must finish the degree in 10 years once starting (maximum time to complete). More details on this can be found here. The university also has a policy where you can fail a year once, but if you fail another year again they usually strongly recommend you depart the program unless you have a very good reason (I'm not sure on the exact procedures here though - ie. whether they actually have the authority to kick you out). Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

medfan196

When I last looked into this there actually wasn't anything I could find on the JCU website regarding bridging courses.

I would recommend directly e-mailing the School of Medicine and then whatever you find out posting here.
They said results need to be available by 10 Dec to be considered.

mc*

They said results need to be available by 10 Dec to be considered.
The exams for JCU bridging course are next week with final results being released on the 24th. So I don’t think you need it by the 10th (if your doing one of the JCU courses).

medfan196

The exams for JCU bridging course are next week with final results being released on the 24th. So I don’t think you need it by the 10th (if your doing one of the JCU courses).
Oh really? This is what they said to me!

Attachments

• D387DC09-4FE7-4737-990C-D852E94387D0.jpeg
    D387DC09-4FE7-4737-990C-D852E94387D0.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 62

ucat3300+

Hi, I am a Year 12 school leaver, and I had a predicted ATAR of 99+ for JCU. I didn't receive an interview offer in November, this means there is zero chance for me to receive an interview offer in the second round, right?

On a side note, I wonder what happens for NSW/ACT applicants who either could not submit a predicted ATAR form, or whose actual ATAR is much higher than their predicted ATARs. Since their actual ATARs come out on the 20th of Jan, I am not sure if JCU will be able to accommodate for this?

Eta: This happened in the past here

Last edited:
hey everyone, just got my atar and i received an 97.85 (equivalent OP2). As a non-rural standard applicant what are my chances of getting into Jcu medicine ? Do i still have a chance considering my interview went quite well ( at least i thought it did 😩)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
hey everyone, just got my atar and i received an 97.85 (equivalent OP2). As a non-rural standard applicant what are my chances of getting into Jcu medicine ? Do i still have a chance considering my interview went quite well ( at least i thought it did 😩)
Qld have moved to ATAR so there’s no one applying with OP results anymore (unless they’ve had several gap years, I guess).

You are definitely still in with a chance as you have completed the interview. Despite your interview performance self-report, there’s really no way of knowing how you went in comparison to the other interviewees, so you’ll just have to wait until offers come out, unfortunately.

Long story short, though, your ATAR won’t rule you out of contention completely.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hello! I am a non-standard entry applicant - ATAR 97.95, GPA = 7, what is the likelihood of me getting an interview :)
Could be high, could be zero. Given the weight of the written application is so integral, we honestly have no idea. There are definitely people with 99.95 or 7.00 who miss out on interviews every year, so top academic results are no guarantee.