Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU JCU Medicine: Non-Standard Entry

A1

Rookie Doc
Like do they interview 1st rounders and then offer a set quota and then interview 2nd rounders and then offer the remaining.
Adding to LMG!'s reply, other med schools hold a 2nd interview round (largely for interstate applicants) after round1 offers in all states have been released, so that students already with a home state med offer can opt out of doing interstate interviews.

JCU's 2nd interview round has a different purpose, it's to enable the use of actual ATAR or full-year GPA. It's held *before* round1 offers, all interviewees are then considered together in this offer round.

Has there ever been any data collected on MSO about the proportion of non-standard applicants who are in their early years of uni vs those with completed degrees who get final offers (or interview invites, for that matter)? I'm wondering if there is a bias that goes in either direction (i.e. those in first year are closer in age to the standard school leaver applicants and therefore may (??) be preferred, or a potential bias in favour of non standards who have begun other careers and may therefore have more experiences etc to discuss in the written application/ interview). Would be very interested to see this data in the future regardless of whether it already exists on this forum 👀

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Has there ever been any data collected on MSO about the proportion of non-standard applicants who are in their early years of uni vs those with completed degrees who get final offers (or interview invites, for that matter)? I'm wondering if there is a bias that goes in either direction (i.e. those in first year are closer in age to the standard school leaver applicants and therefore may (??) be preferred, or a potential bias in favour of non standards who have begun other careers and may therefore have more experiences etc to discuss in the written application/ interview). Would be very interested to see this data in the future regardless of whether it already exists on this forum 👀
No, I think we did try to get people to indicate how much uni they’d completed when reporting interview invites so we could get an idea re. the accuracy of our first year = more likely to get second round theory, but we’ve not specifically framed it the way you’ve asked. Maybe this year I’ll come up with a specific reporting template for JCU that gets to the heart of some of these questions (for interest’s sake more than anything).

Margaret

Hey, I have a couple of questions about the JCU application.

Firstly; Question 2 (Experience) - I have a lot of experience in healthcare as I am a Nurse already. I have been able to speak about what I have done to show my motivation to medicine in my current role and how this motivates me. But I have not done any volunteering for around 10 years. How important do you think only talking about experience will affect the application?

Secondly; Question 4 (Other) - Part of the section I have mentioned that studying the master of nursing while working and raising a family I have a strong understanding of the commitment and sacrifices that are made and dedication it takes to undertake study. Do you think mentioning I have a family would detrimentally impact my application. I understand how it could be counted as 'discriminatory' but still undecided to mention it in case it does negatively impact my application.

Thank you.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
a) I don't think its necessarily a prereq to have done volunteering, its just for highschool students there not really much else as you can do. As a HCW worker who is able to express how this role has influenced them you would be more than fine. Especially if you tie your experiences into the JCU med program's goals (rural, atsi, tropical, etc)

b) No I wouldn't say so. In fact if you're able to explain how this experience has made you a better person, and more focused on the JCU med program's goals then I would think it's a positive experience. It was a hardship, you powered through it, and you're better because of it.

In saying that I wouldn't so much right it in a "sell yourself" way like i can show commitment to the med program but in a self reflective way talking about how it shaped your perception of difficulties faced by regional/atsi communities where teen pregnancy rates are higher for example, or maybe there isn't as much access to childcare services, or getting to uni is 10x more of a hassle then it was for you, etc... That's what they want to see. They have a plethora of applicants who are able to face hardships to complete the program, what they're looking for are applicants with compassion to the issues that they feel are important

Just my 2c

mac_orien

Lurker
Thank you for your replies. I think I will write a bit about the pathway but focus on the love of medicine more. I feel so far in writing I have been crossing a bit over in the two sections, why med, and the experience. Mainly because my medical experience has led me to the 'why med'. Im hoping once I finish all the questions, I will get a better over all picture and be able to polish it up.

In reference to the prerequisite: JCU has the courses run at the same time in November. I have taken time off work over the course of intensive period and hope my self directed study prior will be good enough.

This was stated in my letter of offer for Bridging courses recently: You have been made an offer into the Certificate of Higher Education to enrol in CH0020 Preparatory
Chemistry and MA0010 Preparatory Mathematics to meet the pre-requisite requirement for the
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.
It sounds like I am in the same boat as you GemGem. I have just contacted JCU about enrolling in these bridging courses and they recommended not completing them together due to the intensity. Did you hear anything similar about this from JCU?

Also, did you update your QTAC application to include the certificate of higher education in a current study section?

Margaret

It sounds like I am in the same boat as you GemGem. I have just contacted JCU about enrolling in these bridging courses and they recommended not completing them together due to the intensity. Did you hear anything similar about this from JCU?

Also, did you update your QTAC application to include the certificate of higher education in a current study section?

They did strongly recommend not enrolling in both at the same time due to the intensity nature of the course. But if I want to apply this year, I do not have another option. I am hoping by November 22 I have gained enough knowledge to be okay. I have the textbook for chem and the lecturer has posted some information already.

I did ask JCU if worst case I fail one or both, if it would detriment my application in the future. JCU stated the higher education cert is not considered in 'uni' results per se so would not change my GPA. And that I could take the subjects again with no detriments to application (except applying a year later).

QTAC - I stated on my application I am 'enrolled' in subjects 'maths' and 'chemistry' separate not under 'higher education certificate'. She said last year the Uni sent the results to QTAC for people who were doing it for medicine therefore can update details and be in the offer period. She did say to call and email when finished so QTAC can follow up with JCU and therefore ensuring it will be done in time.

Margaret

a) I don't think its necessarily a prereq to have done volunteering, its just for highschool students there not really much else as you can do. As a HCW worker who is able to express how this role has influenced them you would be more than fine. Especially if you tie your experiences into the JCU med program's goals (rural, atsi, tropical, etc)

b) No I wouldn't say so. In fact if you're able to explain how this experience has made you a better person, and more focused on the JCU med program's goals then I would think it's a positive experience. It was a hardship, you powered through it, and you're better because of it.

In saying that I wouldn't so much right it in a "sell yourself" way like i can show commitment to the med program but in a self reflective way talking about how it shaped your perception of difficulties faced by regional/atsi communities where teen pregnancy rates are higher for example, or maybe there isn't as much access to childcare services, or getting to uni is 10x more of a hassle then it was for you, etc... That's what they want to see. They have a plethora of applicants who are able to face hardships to complete the program, what they're looking for are applicants with compassion to the issues that they feel are important

Just my 2c
Hi, Thank you for your response. I am trying to focus on my strengths of experience and motivation vs checking off the volunteer box. I will definitely look into it more for next year if I do not gain an interview though.

b) I will see how I go with the final completion and if I find it adds any benefit. You have provided a lot to think about and will see what I can come up with. Thanks :)

mina24

Hey guys, I'm currently in 1st year Uni and applying for JCU. My results for sem 2 come out after JCU releases their 1st round interview invitations so will this mean I do not have a chance to get an interview in their 1st round? Will my sem 1 results (4 units) be taken into account to see if I can get an interview in 1st round? Thanks

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys, I'm currently in 1st year Uni and applying for JCU. My results for sem 2 come out after JCU releases their 1st round interview invitations so will this mean I do not have a chance to get an interview in their 1st round? Will my sem 1 results (4 units) be taken into account to see if I can get an interview in 1st round? Thanks
This is usually the case, yep (you’re not in the first round invites). But once your second Sem results are available, you’re not disadvantaged.

Hi,

Back in 2014, I applied for JCU Med when I was in first year of uni. I still got offered first round interview back then even before second sem results were released. I’m not sure if they’ve changed the process though. Good luck with your application 😊

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi,

Back in 2014, I applied for JCU Med when I was in first year of uni. I still got offered first round interview back then even before second sem results were released. I’m not sure if they’ve changed the process though. Good luck with your application 😊
Yeah, it's definitely possible, particularly if you're rural and/or have an absolute winner of a written application. But we just see it more commonly* that those in their first year tend to be invited in the second round. I guess our mentioning this is more so that people who don't get a first round interview don't immediately write their chances off.

*in the interview invites reported here to MSO (which is only a small sample)

A1

Rookie Doc
Back in 2014, I applied for JCU Med when I was in first year of uni. I still got offered first round interview
Maybe back then there were more places than applicants? :p

If you don't believe me here's two non-rural place offers right next to each other - an ATAR 94.80 and a 95.20
> 2013 JCU Offer Thread

hello!
i'm applying as a first-year non-standard with a current WAM of 81 and ucat percentile of 96. i'm from metro VIC so am non-rural.
with these scores, i'm only applicable for JMP so would you guys say its worth applying to JCU? i'm only hesitant here bc of the additional QTAC fee. if the chance of an interview invite is low, i'd rather not apply.
I understand that the chance of an interview invite is application-based, but is there an indication they strongly prefer rural students, school-leavers or students from qld? (considering i'm none of the above)

Caffeine

hello!
i'm applying as a first-year non-standard with a current WAM of 81 and ucat percentile of 96. i'm from metro VIC so am non-rural.
with these scores, i'm only applicable for JMP so would you guys say its worth applying to JCU? i'm only hesitant here bc of the additional QTAC fee. if the chance of an interview invite is low, i'd rather not apply.
I understand that the chance of an interview invite is application-based, but is there an indication they strongly prefer rural students, school-leavers or students from qld? (considering i'm none of the above)
No preference for Qld leavers unless it's those in the Townsville area who get some bonus , strong preference for HSL around 90% of the seats , strong preference for rural as it's a rural campus with a bonus to those people as well. There is also a quota for Indigenous/Aboringal students. The main thing is very few seats are for general tertiary applicants and if your GPA is not around a 6.5 then it's extremely challenging for you to get an offer. You could with a good written application but they still consider your selection rank when making offers. Overall if your GPA is not that strong your chances are low as a tertiary applicant [And they already have a low chance anyway] especially since HSL are already favoured as are rural applicants and as are people from the Townville area. The written application is subjective as well so it's kind of hard to predict the quality of the written application.

The chances are low for JCU statistically compared to JMP but JMP has quite a competitive selection process of it's own. With it's own quota for rural applicants & ATSI applicants. I'm not sure exactly of the interview offer to places ratio but JCU should have a higher one . So maybe it's worth a gamble in that sense. In saying that if your WAM converts to a GPA below 6 then I would say it's not worth applying [Conversions of WAM can be found on other threads]

Last edited:
No preference for Qld leavers unless it's those in the Townsville area who get some bonus , strong preference for HSL around 90% of the seats , strong preference for rural as it's a rural campus with a bonus to those people as well. There is also a quota for Indigenous/Aboringal students. The main thing is very few seats are for general tertiary applicants and if your GPA is not around a 6.5 then it's extremely challenging for you to get an offer. You could with a good written application but they still consider your selection rank when making offers. Overall if your GPA is not that strong your chances are low as a tertiary applicant [And they already have a low chance anyway] especially since HSL are already favoured as are rural applicants and as are people from the Townville area. The written application is subjective as well so it's kind of hard to predict the quality of the written application.

The chances are low for JCU statistically compared to JMP but JMP has quite a competitive selection process of it's own. With it's own quota for rural applicants & ATSI applicants. I'm not sure exactly of the interview offer to places ratio but JCU should have a higher one . So maybe it's worth a gamble in that sense. In saying that if your WAM converts to a GPA below 6 then I would say it's not worth applying [Conversions of WAM can be found on other threads]
thanks so much for all this info! appreciate it, definitely clears things up ! and yep, my GPA is ~6.63 so should be all good
just another thing, would you reckon they consider rurality/HSL before sending interview invites, or before sending course offers?

Last edited:

Caffeine

thanks so much for all this info! appreciate it, definitely clears things up ! and yep, my GPA is ~6.63 so should be all good
just another thing, would you reckon they consider rurality/HSL before sending interview invites, or before sending course offers?
They consider both at each stage. For HSL/Tertiary it's a strictly imposed restriction. I believe it's 10-15 seats for tertiary applicants in total, with probably roughly 1000 applicants competing for them, most likely rural applicants also have a share of these so maybe it's 10 for general.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
They consider both at each stage. For HSL/Tertiary it's a strictly imposed restriction. I believe it's 10-15 seats for tertiary applicants in total, with probably roughly 1000 applicants competing for them, most likely rural applicants also have a share of these so maybe it's 10 for general.
We have definitely had several reports here from current students that the strictly imposed restriction on non-standard offers is a myth and apparently there was a relatively recent years intake that saw approximately 50 students in the cohort come from a non-standard background. We saw a corresponding jump in non-standard offers reported here at MSO that year, also. Apparently there is flexibility depending on strength of applications.

This doesn't seem to be correct anymore, as LMG said. The 2020 admissions transparency data showed that 50 students (35.2%) had at least started higher education study. The number of 150 places in total also appears to be somewhat flexible, with QTAC data suggesting that 183 people enrolled in the course in 2021.

Stapedius

JCU MBBS VI
Valued Member

I would clarify that there is no specific bonus given to those from the Townsville area per se, but because Townsville is considered regional (RA3), it does get the rural bonus. But AFAIK people from Townsville do not have any specific advantage over people from Cairns (also RA3) for example. I would also like to reaffirm what has been made clear in the above posts that it's very unlikely that there are hard set cutoffs for HSL vs non-standards given quite significant variation in intake numbers in recent years. It would be a fair assumption to make that non-standard intake is dependent on the competition each year, but yes - no doubt there is a priority to HSL.