• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • When interviews and offers are released, you can rest assured posts will appear at MSO. Repeatedly asking 'have interview invites been released yet' won't make it happen any faster and such posts will be deleted.
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

JCU Non-Standard Entry

A1

Admissions Speculator
Say they interview 60 non-standards, but it's a good year for non-standards and they take 16... or, it's a bad year and they only take 8 or 9
But what criteria would you think JCU bases on to make it a good year or a bad year?

My thinking is if JCU has say 15 in mind it's likely to be 15 +/- a few. For example after 13 have been selected they have 5 non-standards on equal score for the last two places, instead of using a tie breaker they might say alright we'll stretch it out to 18 offers. Otoh if there are 10 on the same score stretching to 23 offers would be too many, they cut out at 13 instead.

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Archive

But what criteria would you think JCU bases on to make it a good year or a bad year?

My thinking is if JCU has say 15 in mind it's likely to be 15 +/- a few. For example after 13 have been selected they have 5 non-standards on equal score for the last two places, instead of using a tie breaker they might say alright we'll stretch it out to 18 offers. Otoh if there are 10 on the same score stretching to 23 offers would be too many, they cut out at 13 instead.
Anecdotally there is no set point for how many non-standards they take from what I have been told (From some CMD profs). Apparently Wronski looks at each year and then decides what to do. But I dont think anyone will really know.

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Do non-standards qualify for first round interview offers? (and when will invites for these be sent?)
Yes, if you’re in second year plus. Not usually if you’re in first year (as only 1 semester of results are available at the time).

LMG!

If you are finished degree and dont get a first round offer is that curtains?
I wouldn't say that it's curtains necessarily, but I personally wouldn't interpret it very favourably. That said... it's also important to remember that non-standard entry at JCU is non-standard in a couple of ways (the students and the numbers of those students!). So it's also possible that, for whatever reason that floats the boats of TPTB, they do things differently this year and all non-standards are in the second round... who knows!

Because I have reached the Prime Procrastination Period of Exam Preparation, I will go and have a quick look at last year's data to see if I can see any patterns. VERY unlikely as we get such small amounts of posts for JCU non-standards, but that's how deep I am in the PPPEP!

ETA: As predicted, the data did not help! As a result, I will add a line to the reporting template for non-standard JCU applicants to complete that requests a statement about how many semesters of university they have completed. Hopefully that will enable us to collect some solid info on this topic and will even be able to answer your question as the invites roll out to some extent.

Last edited:

RuralDr

I wouldn't say that it's curtains necessarily, but I personally wouldn't interpret it very favourably. That said... it's also important to remember that non-standard entry at JCU is non-standard in a couple of ways (the students and the numbers of those students!). So it's also possible that, for whatever reason that floats the boats of TPTB, they do things differently this year and all non-standards are in the second round... who knows!

Because I have reached the Prime Procrastination Period of Exam Preparation, I will go and have a quick look at last year's data to see if I can see any patterns. VERY unlikely as we get such small amounts of posts for JCU non-standards, but that's how deep I am in the PPPEP!

ETA: As predicted, the data did not help! As a result, I will add a line to the reporting template for non-standard JCU applicants to complete that requests a statement about how many semesters of university they have completed. Hopefully that will enable us to collect some solid info on this topic and will even be able to answer your question as the invites roll out to some extent.
Legend

Hey, mine was also delivered when I checked the tracking and I also haven’t received a confirmation. I think it takes a while for the confirmation to come through.
I sent mine the day it opened and got the confirmation the same week

Welp, I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up then.
It said above that "reasonable adjustments may be made if required" which is why I didn't think it was a strict "follow or discard application" rule. It's just 1/2 a sentence - 1 sentence over, but I do understand why they might prefer an applicant that has managed to stay within the lines over an applicant that can't.
I have also gone for some of the questions, I guess all we can do it hope for the best! :)

alexlipton

JCU MBBS II
Valued Member
would a gpa of 6.375 and only living rurally this year (first year of uni) be enough to receive an interview/place in med or dent at jcu?
IIRC we've seen non-rural candidates with GPAs in the late5s/low 6s get interviews and later offers which means it definitely is possible, however as with all things with JCU admissions it's really hard for anyone to give any meaningful advice on "what are your chances" here as it really all depends on how good your written application and interview performance is. I'm also probably going to say you won't qualify as rural given JCU seems to rely on primary + high school locations for that, but I can't say that for sure. All the best! :)

Last edited:

jampa123

IIRC we've seen non-rural candidates with GPAs in the late5s/low 6s get interviews and later offers which means it definitely is possible, however as with all things with JCU admissions it's really hard for anyone to give any meaningful advice on "what are your chances" here as it really all depends on how good your written application and interview performance is. I'm also probably going to say you won't qualify as rural given JCU seems to rely on high school locations for that, but I can't say that for sure. All the best! :)
Don't they look at both primary+high school for determining ruralty? They asked for all schooling years in the application so I thought they took into account everything.
thanks

alexlipton

JCU MBBS II
Valued Member
Don't they look at both primary+high school for determining ruralty? They asked for all schooling years in the application so I thought they took into account everything.
thanks
Correct. I should have written primary + high school. In saying that, while this seems to be the most obvious way of JCU determining rurality status, there has been some suggestion by some members on here about a "subjective interpretation of rurality" as derived from the question answers. While I don't have any hard evidence to back it up, I'd be more inclined to say it's more likely to be the former rather than the latter suggestion to keep things objective.

Hi guys, I was randomly checking my qtac application and realized there was nothing about what uni and the years I was studying on it. I phone called Qtac and they said I wrote down that I studied at Sydney uni (even though I studied at Western Sydney) and couldn't retrieve my results. They've updated my application now but will that impact on getting an interview offer in the next few weeks? I'm a bit worried atm.

alexlipton

JCU MBBS II
Valued Member
Hi guys, I was randomly checking my qtac application and realized there was nothing about what uni and the years I was studying on it. I phone called Qtac and they said I wrote down that I studied at Sydney uni (even though I studied at Western Sydney) and couldn't retrieve my results. They've updated my application now but will that impact on getting an interview offer in the next few weeks? I'm a bit worried atm.
So just to be clear - QTAC said they couldn't retrieve your results when you rang them? Or did they notify you regarding this? I would contact JCU just to clarify with them about this issue if so, just in case they have failed to get access to your university results. No-one can tell you if it's impacted your 1st round interview chances, except probably JCU.

Regardless, even if JCU doesn't receive your results for this round you should be considered for 2nd round interviews at no disadvantage, assuming your written application and marks are sufficient to meet the non-standard threshold.

So just to be clear - QTAC said they couldn't retrieve your results when you rang them? Or did they notify you regarding this? I would contact JCU just to clarify with them about this issue if so, just in case they have failed to get access to your university results. No-one can tell you if it's impacted your 1st round interview chances, except probably JCU.

Regardless, even if JCU doesn't receive your results for this round you should be considered for 2nd round interviews at no disadvantage, assuming your written application and marks are sufficient to meet the non-standard threshold.
Yeah, when I rang them, QTAC said they couldn't retrieve my results. QTAC said they have now updated my tertiary records and it'll take a few weeks to go through. I've also since contacted JCU and they said that it is likely that I'll be considered in 2nd round interviews. I'm just worried there will be fewer spots in 2nd round interviews :(

LMG!

Yeah, when I rang them, QTAC said they couldn't retrieve my results. QTAC said they have now updated my tertiary records and it'll take a few weeks to go through. I've also since contacted JCU and they said that it is likely that I'll be considered in 2nd round interviews. I'm just worried there will be fewer spots in 2nd round interviews :(
Second round interviewees are not disadvantaged so you don't have to worry at all. Best of luck!

Hey guys! Just wondering, I know JCU looks at the ATAR equivalent of your GPA, but do they also look at your Year 12 ATAR? I read that UNSW averages your ATAR and ATAR equivalent of your GPA, but was unsure if this was the case for JCU - I have emailed JCU and am waiting on a reply :)