Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU JCU Medicine: Written Application General Questions

Skarzin

Monash Med III
guys I sent it in yesterday but im pretty sure i didnt write the degree on the back of the envelope thats self-addressed
should I resend or will they understand?
I'm trying to get into touch with JCU right now but no one is picking up the phone

It doesn't matter if you write your degree, just write your return address, just like any other postal mail.

Geez, some people here are stressing on the postal system, yet I haven't seen someone stressing on the actual question of the application o_O

Last edited:
While you can only submit 3 letters of support (you can submit more, but 'the first 3 will only be considered'), I would recommend submitting the reference from the family friend..... You have 3 reference's from one school, presumably speaking about similar things (Grades, extra-curricular activities etc)..... Pick your best 2 and add the reference from your family friend.

No I understand that we can only submit 3, which is fine. But should my 3 be only teachers or have one from a family friend too? Because like you said, the family friend one is a bit different from the rest but it doesn't have much to offer besides personality and character traits etc.

alexwilko

wha
No I understand that we can only submit 3, which is fine. But should my 3 be only teachers or have one from a family friend too? Because like you said, the family friend one is a bit different from the rest but it doesn't have much to offer besides personality and character traits etc.

whatever you feel is best, I only submitted 2

Skarzin

Monash Med III
Hi Ben,

Messages in last years discussions on JCU offers several candidates talk about getting an offer in Rural Category where candidate lived in RA2-5 for 5 years. However, in this years application, there is no place to indicate your rural eligibility. How do you apply to JCU under rural category.

I am a year 12 school leaver applicant
Thank you so much.

Hey there...

This was a post by A1. which referred to JCU's intake of rural students (also other ones as well). Also, you cant apply as a rural applicant, you have to state it via application or interview, and make sure to express your interest in rural and Indigenous health

[Undergrad] - Med schools Selection for Rural Applicants | Med Students Online

yaya94

This thread is for discussing JCU written applications. Feel free to post any questions about the written application process. Any PM's that I receive asking for advice this year will be replied to in this thread with usernames removed.
Hi ben,
I'm an international applicant,i've received an email from jcu saying that my application for med was unsuccesful.can I make an appeal using those following question?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Hi ben,
I'm an international applicant,i've received an email from jcu saying that my application for med was unsuccesful.can I make an appeal using those following question?

I'm not sure what you mean - was your application unsuccessful because you didn't submit it correctly/something was wrong with the actual process of applying or because they didn't deem it to be competitive enough? If you think it's the former (i.e. something went wrong with the application) then give them a call and see if you can find out what happened, though I think it's unlikely you'll get a satisfying answer.

If its that your application wasn't competitive enough then again there isn't much you can do at this point short of reapplying next year with an improved written application +/- better GPA. Many of the international student interviews have already been conducted and there isn't a 2nd chance application pool.

Hope that helps, sorry to hear you weren't successful the first time around.

yaya94

I'm not sure what you mean - was your application unsuccessful because you didn't submit it correctly/something was wrong with the actual process of applying or because they didn't deem it to be competitive enough? If you think it's the former (i.e. something went wrong with the application) then give them a call and see if you can find out what happened, though I think it's unlikely you'll get a satisfying answer.

If its that your application wasn't competitive enough then again there isn't much you can do at this point short of reapplying next year with an improved written application +/- better GPA. Many of the international student interviews have already been conducted and there isn't a 2nd chance application pool.

Hope that helps, sorry to hear you weren't successful the first time around.
I think that they maybe dont understand how to read grades. Because here, to get dean's list you have to get 3.5 and above out of 4 GPA. If I reapply do you have any tips that what I should do?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Hi ben,

You'll probably find that once you are unsuccessful that there are no ways to appeal a decision of rejection, provided that the university has not made any procedural mistakes (such as in calculating your marks - ATAR conversions from overseas, for example).

The reason for this is that if they allowed such appeals, that there would then be appeals from almost every single candidate that failed to gain entrance. This is a huge waste of time for the university with no payoff whatsoever for them.

To be honest though, I would be very careful about applying to any medical program in Australia nowadays as an international student - you are highly unlikely to get an internship in Australia, and most countries (especially Western countries) will prioritise their own graduates over you - you are literally a very low priority to every country offering internships.

Without an internship, your medical degree is essentially useless - you can't practice medicine without completing your provisional training.

I think that they maybe dont understand how to read grades. Because here, to get dean's list you have to get 3.5 and above out of 4 GPA. If I reapply do you have any tips that what I should do?

If your uni provided JCU with the wrong grades or the wrong conversion, this is NOT JCU's fault, and this would have to be something you take up with your own university. However, if JCU miscalculated your marks, then this is something that you can take up with them.

Bear in mind that many people still do not gain entry despite having the highest possible score (for you a 4.0 out of 4.0 GPA).

Which university is this that you are talking about in regards to the "Dean's list"... and has JCU stated anywhere that being on a Dean's list at their own uni would have any bearing whatsoever on entrance?

yaya94

You'll probably find that once you are unsuccessful that there are no ways to appeal a decision of rejection, provided that the university has not made any procedural mistakes (such as in calculating your marks - ATAR conversions from overseas, for example).

The reason for this is that if they allowed such appeals, that there would then be appeals from almost every single candidate that failed to gain entrance. This is a huge waste of time for the university with no payoff whatsoever for them.

To be honest though, I would be very careful about applying to any medical program in Australia nowadays as an international student - you are highly unlikely to get an internship in Australia, and most countries (especially Western countries) will prioritise their own graduates over you - you are literally a very low priority to every country offering internships.

Without an internship, your medical degree is essentially useless - you can't practice medicine without completing your provisional training.

If your uni provided JCU with the wrong grades or the wrong conversion, this is NOT JCU's fault, and this would have to be something you take up with your own university. However, if JCU miscalculated your marks, then this is something that you can take up with them.

Bear in mind that many people still do not gain entry despite having the highest possible score (for you a 4.0 out of 4.0 GPA).

Which university is this that you are talking about in regards to the "Dean's list"... and has JCU stated anywhere that being on a Dean's list at their own uni would have any bearing whatsoever on entrance?
Alright..thanks for the advice

gada1

Hi Ben!
I am a first year student from NSW.
I graduated from high school last year with an ATAR of 99.60.
In my first year of tertiary education, I have received a GPA of around 6.
I applied for JCU medicine. In my application, I have included the fact that I have travelled to remote locations with the UNSW law society to mentor indigenous youth in a social justice initiative and that I travelled the globe as an international volunteer conducting humanitarian aid work.
What do you think my chances are of being offered an interview?

Thanks!!

Halcyon

Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist...
Hi Ben!
I applied for JCU medicine. In my application, I have included the fact that I have travelled to remote locations with the UNSW law society to mentor indigenous youth in a social justice initiative and that I travelled the globe as an international volunteer conducting humanitarian aid work.

Thanks!!

Sorry to bother but how was your experience at UNSW Law?Im considering it for next year. Congrats on maintaining such a high GPA in such a difficult course.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi Ben!

Thanks!!

Just letting you know that Ben is currently away and without consistent internet access. I'm sure he'll get back to you as soon as he's able :)

gada1

Sorry to bother but how was your experience at UNSW Law?Im considering it for next year. Congrats on maintaining such a high GPA in such a difficult course.

If 'Law Students Online' happens to exists, I'm sure I will be able to tend to your question there :p

MeddyBear

Hi Ben!

Thanks!!
It looks like you have done heaps more than what my cousin did. He got admission this year into JCU MBBS with a GPA 7/7 from UTS Sydney but he didn't do any humanitarian work whatsoever let alone global! Thats very impressive stuff you have done. Im sure you will get an interview call :) just my 2 cents.

Gemsik121

Formally? Only when interview offers come out - if your ATAR/GPA is above the cut-off and you didn't get an offer then your application let you down.

Informally? That depends whether you want to post your application on a public forum. Often they are quite personal and can be identifying, so I advise you to think it over. If you've already submitted it and just want me to tear it apart on a public forum for the education of others then by all means post it here and I'll give you feedback.
Hey Ben! This is my first day in this forum and I am finding all your insights/tips to be extremely helpful. I am currently in year 12 and will apply for medicine in JCU. I have already completed 3 year 12 subjects as part of an acceleration program and received merits for those subjects. Is this worth mentioning in the application? If yes, exactly where should I put it? In regards to work experience, I have worked in the local aged care center for about 3 months in total. How could I link this to my aspiration to study medicine? Also, is there anyway of privately sending you my application instead of posting it in a public forum. It would be highly appreciated if you could help me!

Gemsik121

• What do you actually know about JCU medicine? How is the course structured? Have you spoken to any students doing the course currently, what did they have to say about it? (FEEL FREE TO ASK ABOUT THIS BELOW!)

Hey Ben, with the question what I know about JCU medicine, I was able to find limited info about how the course is structured. Can you provide some insights on the course?

HZL

Hey guys, was wondering if the due date of 30th sept means the application has to be mailed by that date or does JCU have to receive it by that date? I am currently overseas so it's quite hard... :(

Also, does question 2 "Provide details of any paid employment... which indicate your motivation to study Medicine or another Health Professional degree at JCU?" mean how those experience indicate my interest in medicine or medicine at JCU specifically? Wouldn't that overlap with question 3 which asks "why rural med?"?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys, was wondering if the due date of 30th sept means the application has to be mailed by that date or does JCU have to receive it by that date? I am currently overseas so it's quite hard... :(

As far as I'm aware, your application needs to be post-stamped on or before the 30th of Sept, it doesn't need to have arrived at JCU by the 30th.

ETA: If you're cutting it fine, you'll probably want to drop it off at an actual post-office, rather than just popping it in a post-box, to make sure it's stamped as you need it.

Last edited:

Rafa

I have 3 references from my teachers (Economics, Pastoral Care teacher, as well as Head of Science). I also have a ref letter from a family friend (my friend's mum). Would it be a bad idea to put in the ref from the family friend? Shes only talked about my personality and hard work etc, while my teachers have talked about that as well as extra curricular activities.

I know this might be a bit late for recorrecting the situation but hope you reconsider when applying next time if you did not make it through this round or this year and also for other members visiting this forum.

It might not have been an issue in olden days (not sure) about submitting a family member letter of support BUT it is very clear in JCU application form on page 2 at the bottom with the subtitle "Letters of Support" and the very last point that "LETTERS OF SUPPORT FROM FAMILY MEMBERS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED" pls find below an excerpt from the application form:
  1. Letters of support

Please attach letters of support at the end of the Application Form
    • You may attach a maximum of three letters of support to your application. If you choose to attach letters of support, make sure to ask your referees to include their phone number in case we need to contact them. You must keep a copy of any letters of support (and your completed application) as no documentation can be returned to you.

• Only the rst three (3) letters of support will be read.

• Do not send letters of support separately as they will not be included as part of

your application.

• Letters of support from family members will not be accepted.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: