Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP JMP: BBiomedSc Pathway

A1

Rookie Doc
It should also be noted, ATARs are not comparable between say NSW/VIC and other states. It’s essentially a percentile tank. So it’s objectively more difficult to receive a 99.00 ATAR in NSW than in say TAS/SA/WA due to obvious differences in the population.
This claim^ is so outrageous I had to interrupt my study to jump in quickly :p

No that's totally mistaken. One percent of each year-cohort of each state get 99.0+ - that's about 900 in NSW, 750 Vic, 300 WA etc. Bigger population gives a bigger number of 99s.

You can argue it's more difficult in NSW because the school culture is more dog eat dog there than in laid-back WA. That may be true, but definitely not due to population difference itself.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
This claim^ is so outrageous I had to interrupt my study to jump in quickly :p

No that's totally mistaken. One percent of each year-cohort of each state get 99.0+ - that's about 900 in NSW, 750 Vic, 300 WA etc. Bigger population gives a bigger number of 99s.

You can argue it's more difficult in NSW because the school culture is more dog eat dog there than in laid-back WA. That may be true, but definitely not due to population.
You beat me to it!

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Yeah it wasn’t so much being scrapped, it’s that the BBiomedSc degree was being restructured and they weren’t sure how it was going to plan out.

From experience UoN has streamlined *everything* removing majors and courses left right and centre

Looking at the program plan, it seems they have removed the “Health Professional Major” which is the one you had to do to get the entry boost for JMP, but the wording on the website suggests they have opened it up to all BBiomedSc graduates (expanding the program)

Best to email and ask them and double check if the removal of the Health Professional major means the end of the program, or wether the wording on the website is correct and it’s all Biomed grads

2022 prospectus just about confirms it’s all biomed students. Oh well the program has actually expanded!
3438FE3A-FE40-42BA-9C07-A0160D742270.png

Yeah it wasn’t so much being scrapped, it’s that the BBiomedSc degree was being restructured and they weren’t sure how it was going to plan out.

From experience UoN has streamlined *everything* removing majors and courses left right and centre

Looking at the program plan, it seems they have removed the “Health Professional Major” which is the one you had to do to get the entry boost for JMP, but the wording on the website suggests they have opened it up to all BBiomedSc graduates (expanding the program)

Best to email and ask them and double check if the removal of the Health Professional major means the end of the program, or wether the wording on the website is correct and it’s all Biomed grads
Wait, so if I'm understanding what you are saying, basically the wording on the website suggests that even more of the biomed grads can now apply to JMP(so not just the people who do the health professional major). If this is the case, I would assume it means even less spots for non UoN students to apply for JMP?
Also what exactly did you mean by "double check if the removal of the Health Professional major means the end of the program." End of the program as in no more pathway to JMP or?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Yeah that’s what i perceive it is, all biomed grads not just that particular major now get the boost.

Also what exactly did you mean by "double check if the removal of the Health Professional major means the end of the program." End of the program as in no more pathway to JMP or?
Like i mean if you’re thinking about applying via this program. You should just double check and not rely on vague wording on a website. If anyone is thinking about doing this, just double check that completion of the new majorless program still counts

Yeah that’s what i perceive it is, all biomed grads not just that particular major now get the boost.

Like i mean if you’re thinking about applying via this program. You should just double check and not rely on vague wording on a website. If anyone is thinking about doing this, just double check that completion of the new majorless program still counts
Ah right okay thanks. I guess this means the percentiles will be even higher this year. Big RIP for me as my score this year was borderline for admission last year. :(

Hazzachu

Just double checked w JMP. The program is open to all bmedsci graduating this year, AND the past 2 years meaning 3 cohorts… there is no maximum amount of spots reserved for them. Plus, the anticipated total interview places is 650-700 which is decreased from last years ‘close to 900’ when I emailed them. (If theres around 200 in each cohort how does this even work out…??) Anyways I’m quite upset rn. Guess im resitting again :c Anyone whos in the same boat and keen to provide mutual support, msg me!

Caffeine

so a third year bbiomedsci student with a ucat of 2450 (rural score cutoff last year) would achieve an interview (obviously could be higher depending on percentiles), and is it safe to assume that this program will exist in the next couple of years?
I wouldn't say it's exactly safe. It's possible they can change or even exclude this pathway at any time and there is no guarantee they won't change the requirement from requiring a rural cut-off to an cohort cut-off between the students if too many of the students form the general interview pool. If you are considering this also there is the risk of not getting a spot and then being left with a biomed degree which has limited prospects outside of research.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
If you are considering this also there is the risk of not getting a spot and then being left with a biomed degree which has limited prospects outside of research.
This reality doesn't stop BMedSci/BBioMed/BHealthSci courses without defined Med pathways maxing out their places every year. Plus a completed degree in its own right can be used for GEMSAS entry, or entry into Master degrees, etc. If you can also get dedicated access to (tbh pretty much all) non-rural places offered by JMP, I can see why it's popular. I don't like it, but I can understand it.

naian616

I wouldn't say it's exactly safe. It's possible they can change or even exclude this pathway at any time and there is no guarantee they won't change the requirement from requiring a rural cut-off to an cohort cut-off between the students if too many of the students form the general interview pool. If you are considering this also there is the risk of not getting a spot and then being left with a biomed degree which has limited prospects outside of research.
i understand but uon said they offer the benefit for 2 extra years in case you fail the first time, but ill take it into consideration!

A1

Rookie Doc
But this looks like seriously bad news for non-rural external applicants to JMP. Say 150 UoN BBiomedSc students get interviews this cuts the interview spots for non-rural others from 550ish to 400, likely to push last year's cutoff 90%ile to 93%ile this year.
I forgot I posted this^ in August last year, two months before JMP invites were released.
See what happened... JMP matched my prediction almost spot on 😎

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
A 3230 UCAT should still be comfortable for an interview right? Kinda stressing
We don't want to get into creating panic. This is simply a general discussion thread, not a 'what are my specific chances' thread (that's the UCAT Results Discussion thread), otherwise this will become inundated and meaningless. Thanks for your understanding and good luck.

A1

Rookie Doc
Any predictions for this year A1??
I did have a prediction - that someone was going to ask this^ haha.

I'm reluctant to guess again because of two doubts : someone posted JMP said last year they only gave a small number of interview spots to BBioMed applicants, and just this morning someone posted last year JMP increased interview spots from the usual 700 to 900. If both these were facts the cutoff should have *dropped* from 90%ile rather than jumped to 93%ile.