Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP General Entry Discussion

Ammiecat

UoN Med
I can only get the semester 1 one. I might call them tomorrow and report back.
Ok! So I called and it is normal to only have Semester 1:

MEDI 1101A - Clinical Sciences 1 Part A​

Semester 2 will become available in June.

As far as preferencing for tutorials and classes, they will be assigned to us automatically for the semesters. So we don't have to worry about that at all.

With Orientation, apparently, if we just search medicine specific orientation, we will find when we need to be there, but if you are travelling interstate. A lot of the medical specific orientation will be covered in week one so don't stress too much.

I gathered I should just spread this info so we don't all have to call the coordinator haha.

Totolier

I missed out on newcastle med. A friend told me that the beginning of the course is med science.
Does this mean you can transfer from uon med to wsu/unsw med in your first year??

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
I missed out on newcastle med. A friend told me that the beginning of the course is med science.
Does this mean you can transfer from uon med to wsu/unsw med in your first year??
No, not without extenuating circumstances to be assessed by the university you wish to transfer to. Approved transfer requests are incredibly rare.

kpsmms

This mightn't be the right place to ask, but should I get a Working with Children check as well as a National Police Check? As on the JMP website, it says I MAY need one and my older brother (who does med at Melbourne) has one. However, I called yesterday and they said I don't need a Working with Children check?

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
This mightn't be the right place to ask, but should I get a Working with Children check as well as a National Police Check? As on the JMP website, it says I MAY need one and my older brother (who does med at Melbourne) has one. However, I called yesterday and they said I don't need a Working with Children check?
If you were told you don’t need one, then I wouldn’t get one. If you ever need one you’ll be informed at the time, I’m sure.

bigyikes

Any UNE students get info from the uni about vaccinations or anything of that sort? I've enrolled on myUNE but the only emails I've gotten from the uni was an offer email with my student number. Just wondering if I've been left out or anything.

Any UNE students get info from the uni about vaccinations or anything of that sort? I've enrolled on myUNE but the only emails I've gotten from the uni was an offer email with my student number. Just wondering if I've been left out or anything.
Nope, I haven't gotten anything either. However, a UNE medical student said on the UNE thread that the school tends to send out more information later, when more people have enrolled.

UNEMSA

Nope, I haven't gotten anything either. However, a UNE medical student said on the UNE thread that the school tends to send out more information later, when more people have enrolled.
If you're looking to get started with requirements in the meantime, check out the UNEMSA fresher guide or the course requirements (further information tab here)

There is a JMP brochure which stated that only UNE students are required to have a WWCC, and not UoN students. However, the brochure is from 2015 and so things may have changed from then.

bigyikes

If you're looking to get started with requirements in the meantime, check out the UNEMSA fresher guide or the course requirements (further information tab here)
Thanks guys, just being paranoid here 😁

Hi everyone!

I'm only new to this website (discovered it on the 10th Jan) I applied and tried so very hard to get into medicine at JMP (because I like rural medicine) I was unfortunate, like many who didn't get an offer for the 2020 intake on the 10th January. I actually thought I went rather well in my interview and because I have 13 years experience in Nursing, the panel were very impressed with my answers. I'm praying for some kind of miracle, but at the same time being optimistic about the future and hopefully getting in for next year.

Good luck for everyone in their studies this year, (I've taught many JMP students at work) It's a hard course. For everyone who didn't get an acceptance, maybe we should join a study group? interview group? or even just online messaging group? (gosh I'm bad at this)

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
just checking - are uon lectures compulsory to attend?
I’ve seen current students talking about ‘if you decide to attend lectures/all lectures’, so that’s a pretty safe no, they’re not compulsory (which is consistent with lectures, Med or otherwise, everywhere else).

Ammiecat

UoN Med
Hi everyone!

I'm only new to this website (discovered it on the 10th Jan) I applied and tried so very hard to get into medicine at JMP (because I like rural medicine) I was unfortunate, like many who didn't get an offer for the 2020 intake on the 10th January. I actually thought I went rather well in my interview and because I have 13 years experience in Nursing, the panel were very impressed with my answers. I'm praying for some kind of miracle, but at the same time being optimistic about the future and hopefully getting in for next year.

Good luck for everyone in their studies this year, (I've taught many JMP students at work) It's a hard course. For everyone who didn't get an acceptance, maybe we should join a study group? interview group? or even just online messaging group? (gosh I'm bad at this)
Oh man, I hope you get a top-up offer or there's other rounds. I wish you the best of luck!!

Totolier

I've heard that uon med only looked at interview scores for offer selections. Doesn't this mean the cohort selected could
be very weak academically but great with personality skills???

CatzDreaming

Medical Student 🐐
I've heard that uon med only looked at interview scores for offer selections. Doesn't this mean the cohort selected could
Not necessarily true. I personally know of a friend who was one of the smartest people in our school in Sydney but placed UoN as his first preference due to personal reasons. So there's definitely a range within Newcastle!

dotwingz

MSO's On Sight Carly Rae Jepsen Stan
Yes technically but the average ATAR was 98.90 IIRC, although only ~30 of the 100 students who went to UoN were school leavers so I don’t know how nonstandards compare

edit: it was 98.60 last year with 38/100 at UoN being school leavers

Last edited:

A1

Admissions Speculator
I've heard that uon med only looked at interview scores for offer selections. Doesn't this mean the cohort selected could be very weak academically but great with personality skills???
Overall their ATARs are somewhat lower than other cohorts, that doesn't mean very weak.

It was reported by a UoN study 21% of JMP 1st-year students made unsatisfactory progress in the 1st year (but not all got failed) and they skewed toward the lower ATARs. But by 4-5th year there was no discernable difference between high/low ATARs. No idea about their greater personalities though, could well be true.

dotwingz

MSO's On Sight Carly Rae Jepsen Stan
Overall their ATARs are somewhat lower than other cohorts, that doesn't mean very weak.

It was reported by a UoN study 21% of JMP 1st-year students made unsatisfactory progress in the 1st year (but not all got failed) and they skewed toward the lower ATARs. But by 4-5th year there was no discernable difference between high/low ATARs. No idea about their greater personalities though, could well be true.
wow interesting, if you don’t mind can I check out that source. If you don’t have it on hand I’ll look for it myself