Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP JMP: General Entry Discussion

Has anyone from the University of Newcastle ever been upgraded to unbonded before? I got an offer for bonded in the main round and was wondering if it's possible. I called them and the person picking up the phone said it's not possible but she's not from the Medicine faulty? she seemed a bit clueless....

pizzagreen

Not speaking from UoN experience, but, I'm sure it's happened. If you were main round, there's a chance you'll be bumped up, as people reject their offers for other universities. The chance depends on how many people reject (as long as they were above you in the merit list) and where you were on that list. So don't think you are necessarily stuck with the bonded offer, it could change.

furl

Yes I got bonded then unbounded at UoN so I can happen. People pull out right up to the very start.

JMP Lova

Chronic liar
This thread is dedicated to the crazy ones. The rebels. The nonstandards. The troublemakers. The mature aged students. The round pegs in the square holes. The school leavers. The misfits. And to those applying to the JMP.

May the following links be as enlightening to you, as they were to me:

[Applying for Med] FAQs on the Basics

[Undergrad] - UMAT Forum: Table of Contents

[Undergrad] - 2017-18 Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

[Undergrad] - Bonded Medical Places - A Guide

Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

Joint Medical Program (JMP)

UNE Accommodation/Colleges

Colleges and Accomodation in Newcastle

And since I’m mindlessly posting links...

JMP Newcastle Course Outlines

http://unemsa.org/s/2018-Fresher-guide.pdf

Edit: In the likely event of confusion, uncertainty, indecision, and hesitance, all JMP aspirants are adviced to communicate with current med students of UON/UNE (LBoG, Syntax, Generic UNE student); who I am sure will be more than willing to answer queries, related to admission.

Last edited:
It appears that UoN/UNE JMP only look at your GPA for your last completed degree? (Academic eligibility). This is probably a serious problem for me because I have a BSc in chemistry (GPA 4.9375, 2006), BSc Honours Class 1 in chemistry (GPA 6.25, completed 2007), PhD in chemistry (GPA 7, completed 2013), and a Master of Intellectual Property (MIP degree) (GPA 2.88/4.00 which may be equivalent to 5.04/7, completed 2017). I am now really kicking myself for doing the MIP degree because it appears to have wiped out the GPA 7 from my PhD. The irony is that if I had left the MIP incomplete or not even done it then it would be easy to get into medicine GPA wise. I am actually being penalized for completing a degree and not being a drop out. Medicine has always been a parallel interest of mine alongside chemistry but I kept putting medicine in the too hard basket because of the GAMSAT/UMAT, and interview requirements. Do I still stand a chance of getting an interview, assuming I get a good UMAT result? Does UoN/UNE JMP have any other GPA rules that might be favourable to me?

A1

Rookie Doc
It appears that UoN/UNE JMP only look at your GPA for your last completed degree? (Academic eligibility).

JMP requires "Better than Pass" for a completed Bachelor degree. We've heard that's about 4.3 so you should have no problem whichever of your degrees they take.

JMP requires "Better than Pass" for a completed degree. We've heard that's about 4.3 so you should have no problem.
Thank you for that. But there is still the possibility that lots of people with a higher GPA will apply and they will get an interview and I will miss out. The "better than pass for a completed degree" might just be a bare minimum, and that the real cut off, competitiveness wise, might be 6.5. Has anyone heard of someone with GPA 5.04/7 or thereabouts getting an interview at UoN/UNE JMP?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thank you for that. But there is still the possibility that lots of people with a higher GPA will apply and they will get an interview and I will miss out. The "better than pass for a completed degree" might just be a bare minimum, and that the real cut off, competitiveness wise, might be 6.5. Has anyone heard of someone with GPA 5.04/7 or thereabouts getting an interview at UoN/UNE JMP?

As mentioned in many places here at MSO, JMP interviews are based ENTIRELY on UMAT performance. Your GPA is irrelevant for interview invite.

2018 Entry Interview Invites - Collated

A1

Rookie Doc

You must have missed one of my earlier replies. True many schools state a minimum ATAR/GPA requirement that's barely competitive, however it's a hurdle at JMP meaning once you are over the hurdle it no longer matters (other than when a tiebreak is needed).

Syntax

BMedSci/MD-JMP IV UoN

To further what the others have said Michael, and to ameliorate any doubt that might still be in your head, I can confirm from personal experience that GPA means absolutely nothing assuming you have completed and passed a degree. A GPA of 5.04 will make you no less competitive than someone with a 7 for entry into the JMP. Mine was only in the '5s' for my application and it was basically tossed to the side once they saw that I had fulfilled the requirement.

Q3

JMP requires "Better than Pass" for a completed Bachelor degree. We've heard that's about 4.3 so you should have no problem whichever of your degrees they take.

It is 4.7 minimum GPA.

Edit: 4.7 for incomplete degree and 4.3 for completed degree.

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Is this GPA just a threshold? Or do they take it into account in any other way?
It’s a hurdle requirement only. Once you’ve received an interview the place offers are 100% based on interview performance (with UMAT being used as a tiebreaker if necessary).

H_______

Dumb question, do I need to apply to both UON and UNE for JMP, or is one enough as long as both are in my UAC preferences?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Dumb question, do I need to apply to both UON and UNE for JMP, or is one enough as long as both are in my UAC preferences?

You apply to JMP, not to either UoN or UNE. From memory, the JMP application is on the UoN website. In this JMP application, you can state a preference for campus, but they are not seperate applications. You also apply to JMP on the UAC website, not the individual unis. It will probably make more sense once you're looking at UAC.

(caveat: unless things have changed since last year!)

A1

Rookie Doc
are a lot of JMP students at UNE non school leavers? (like over 18-19)

Not sure about UNE, insiders say there are more NSLs than SLs at UoN & WSU. We speculated since place offers are 100% weighted on the interview more matured applicants tend to do better.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Not sure about UNE, insiders say there are more NSLs than SLs at UoN & WSU. We speculated since place offers are 100% weighted on the interview more matured applicants tend to do better.

Can confirm I’ve heard from two sources (though don’t know first hand) that more UNE students going into first year have done at least one year of Uni than there are school leavers.