Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP JMP: Interview Invites General Discussion

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
I didn't get an interview with 95th%ile. Is the 91st cutoff only for SA students?
Sorry for the confusion, I was referrng to 2020 entry, meaning starting first-year medicine in 2020. Prior to this year (2021 entry) there wasn't any distinction between local and interstate students, so I used that data instead. Obviously with this year's drastic change and separation in percentiles that data is no longer comparable to previous years'.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi guys, I missed somehow to apply directly but submitted my preference to UAC. University is refusing to help which is reasonable. Does anyone here know someone successfully submitted a late application? I am devastated. Thanks

Unfortunately not. We pretty routinely have a student or two that this happens to every year, and I've not personally seen a late application accepted.

lasa

For those invited to the November/December interview round, what dates did they ask you to keep available?

For those invited to the November/December interview round, what dates did they ask you to keep available?
I wasn't asked, I received an email with the specified time and date and something along the lines of to contact the admissions team if you can't make it and need to reschedule but that nothing is guaranteed in terms of shuffling interviews around.

Mine wasn't ideal as it's a few hours after a final exam for my current degree. But I thought that's probably not enough for them to move it and just thought I'll take it as is.

Hey! I’m still a bit unsure about the MSA structure. Is it the type of interview where you’re given a scenario and have a few minutes to prepare before giving your answer? But since it’s online this year with ‘4 components’ and 2 interviewers does this mean 4 scenarios/“stations” or is this undisclosed information?

Is there an existing thread that explains in general the structures of different interview types?
Thanks!

Has anyone asked about the MSA Zoom structure this year? I've only just seen this thread so I'll ask in tomorrow's session if no one knows.

What have previous years MSA structures been like? In several MMI guides I've seen more "panel" type questions eg. "tell us about yourself", "describe your strengths and weaknesses", but then on MSO I've seen several people say that it's more scenario based like SJT and you have to talk through your reasoning. I've also heard from one person who did the JMP MSA in 2016 that there were some physical stations where you had to do a jigsaw puzzle while flipping a sand timer.

I just don't really know what to expect or try to prepare for :/

Has anyone asked about the MSA Zoom structure this year? I've only just seen this thread so I'll ask in tomorrow's session if no one knows.

What have previous years MSA structures been like? In several MMI guides I've seen more "panel" type questions eg. "tell us about yourself", "describe your strengths and weaknesses", but then on MSO I've seen several people say that it's more scenario based like SJT and you have to talk through your reasoning. I've also heard from one person who did the JMP MSA in 2016 that there were some physical stations where you had to do a jigsaw puzzle while flipping a sand timer.

I just don't really know what to expect or try to prepare for :/
That would be against the privacy/confidentiality disclosure agreement to discuss specifics so hopefully they didn't post that in a public space for their sake. If that happens to be true then I guess you could practice for it but I think facilitating a puzzle via zoom would be quite difficult and wouldn't be that much different to the UCAT abstract reasoning so I can't see them wasting the shorter duration of the interview focusing on a puzzle, but hey 2020 has been strange so who knows what will happen

The preparation I have been doing is not so much on specifics, but being able to communicate effectively, efficiently and in a way that doesn't let the nerves take over! One thing is for sure, no one other than the JMP admissions team will really know what to expect for this years interviews.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Has anyone done the JMP interviews for 2019?

Lots of people, why is that? They were in person, not on Zoom, and involved signing a non-disclosure agreement so no additional information can be shared regarding the nature of the interviews themselves.

manly2007

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone attended the orientation last week. I couldn’t attend it because of my full time job. Is anyone happy to share what was mentioned in the orientation? Especially how MMI is run within 30 minutes? Thanks you very much

Lots of people, why is that? They were in person, not on Zoom, and involved signing a non-disclosure agreement so no additional information can be shared regarding the nature of the interviews themselves.

Was just wondering, since people get interviewed by either UNE or UON, would the interview questions vary according to each uni or would they be the same.

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone attended the orientation last week. I couldn’t attend it because of my full time job. Is anyone happy to share what was mentioned in the orientation? Especially how MMI is run within 30 minutes? Thanks you very much
Basically said they will be strict with time limit and they will cut you off and move you on to the next question if need be. There will be 4 stations of sorts (no idea what they are). You will start out in a waiting room and your ID will be checked. You will be moved to the interview room where you will have 2 interviewers with video and audio and there will be another person on mute with no video monitoring timing for them I assume. That was basically it.

manly2007

Basically said they will be strict with time limit and they will cut you off and move you on to the next question if need be. There will be 4 stations of sorts (no idea what they are). You will start out in a waiting room and your ID will be checked. You will be moved to the interview room where you will have 2 interviewers with video and audio and there will be another person on mute with no video monitoring timing for them I assume. That was basically it.
Thank you very much. Good luck for the interview

McSteamy

Thank you very much. Good luck for the interview
Hey! I did my interview on Friday and what simonschmotz outlined is exactly what happened.
Someone in the waiting room will ensure you’re ready and have everything you need, also that sound and video are working. They also do a great job of calming you down 😊 The interview itself will fly by and be prepared to be cut off midway through answers! Good luck!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Was just wondering, since people get interviewed by either UNE or UON, would the interview questions vary according to each uni or would they be the same.

Due to the NDA, I doubt we actually know for sure, but I suspect it would be the same :)

I would suspect it would be the same too. As interviewees are ranked by the same committee and offers made in order of that ranking. Had my interview on Thursday 19th and pretty sure I bombed out :(( - as mic1234 said fly's by and cut off midway. Nerves got better of me..but hey it is good experience for next year if I win an interview again.!!

Breg

The thing with interviews is you never really know how well you did until you find out if you've received an offer, unfortunately this means a long nervous wait for the results.

DumSurfer

Hello. I was unable to make it to any of the zoom drop-in orientation sessions for the JMP MSA. Were these sessions just to make sure the camera and microphone etc. work on your computer with zoom? Was there any other important information delivered in these sessions? Cheers.

someday

Hello. I was unable to make it to any of the zoom drop-in orientation sessions for the JMP MSA. Were these sessions just to make sure the camera and microphone etc. work on your computer with zoom? Was there any other important information delivered in these sessions? Cheers.
peep above to simonschmotz's post :)