Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP JMP: UNE Incoming Students

UNEMSA

Hey everyone!

My name's Isaac and I'm the 2020 President for UNEMSA, the UNE Medical Students' Association. I know I'm posting this a couple of days before UAC offers are actually released, but I thought that might be the best course of action just so no one misses reading this thread.

If you've received an offer, first of all, congratulations! It's very exciting, and we look forward to seeing you when you arrive some time next month. Some time after you accept your offer, you should receive an email from admissions explaining how to enrol and get started with compliance requirements for placement.

From our side, I have a few links that you'll find useful in the coming days and weeks:

Firstly, read our fabulous FRESHER GUIDE! It contains heaps of information on the colleges, places around town to eat and drink, as well as some textbooks and other things you might like to buy before you arrive.

Secondly, join the JMP UNE 2020-2024 Facebook group HERE! This is where we'll share most information once you arrive, and it's a good way to meet others in your year.

Thirdly, check out our website and our facebook page for more information on us and what we do!

So, with that out of the way, congratulations and welcome again! Please feel free to ask any questions below and I'll do my best to answer them promptly :)

UNEMSA

Hey y'all!

I'm Nihal, the 2021 President for UNEMSA (University of New England Medical Students Association). I'm posting this a day before offers go out so this isn't lost in the offer day deluge!

If you have received an offer, CONGRATULATIONS 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽. It's been a long and arduous journey (especially in 2021) and we're all super excited to see y'all soon. Soon after accepting an offer, UNE's Admissions Team should send you an email explaining how to enrol and get started with compliance requirements for placement!

We have some resources to help you out over the next few days and weeks before we see you!

1. We've created a Fresher Guide with everything you need to know about Armidale, UNE and the Medical Program such as the best restaurants & cafes, where to get textbooks and what college to live at!

2. We also created a Facebook Group here!! This is where most of the information you'll receive from UNEMSA and other societies will be! It's also a good way to cyberstalk your new classmates 🤓!

Finally, check out our website (recently updated!) and Facebook page for more info!

Feel free to message me here, reply to this thread or email me if you have any questions and I'll respond asap!

See y'all soon,
Nihal ([email protected])

Bruce1973

Hi Nihal
Thanks for the detail guide. I am posting on behalf of my son who has just enrolled and accepted the UNE offer. One question, there are a few different types type of Stethoscopes from Medical Supplies & Equipment - Shop Medical Products & Devices. I understand you have quoted Classic Model. However, the one that quoted classic model is specifically for Paediatric and infant. Which one should we buy?

3M Littmann Cardiology IV Stethoscopes

or​

3M Littmann Master Cardiology Stethoscopes

Also, there are a few types of Sphygmometer - Desk Mount, Wall Mount and Table Top. Which one do you reckon.

Thanks

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
You shouldn’t need to purchase a cardiology stethoscope. Are students really expected to supply their own sphygmomanometer? That is surely not necessary!

bigyikes

WSU MD II
Hi Nihal
Thanks for the detail guide. I am posting on behalf of my son who has just enrolled and accepted the UNE offer. One question, there are a few different types type of Stethoscopes from Medical Supplies & Equipment - Shop Medical Products & Devices. I understand you have quoted Classic Model. However, the one that quoted classic model is specifically for Paediatric and infant. Which one should we buy?

3M Littmann Cardiology IV Stethoscopes

or​

3M Littmann Master Cardiology Stethoscopes

Also, there are a few types of Sphygmometer - Desk Mount, Wall Mount and Table Top. Which one do you reckon.

Thanks
Also would not recommend any of the Master stethoscopes, they lack the bell required for certain clinical examinations

UNEMSA

Hey Bruce, most students have the 3M Littmann Classic III Stethoscope! As for the sphygmomanometer, they are provided in Clinical Skills sessions for the students use and they are able to borrow them over the week to practice on friends. However, many students do elect to buy their own so they don't have to deal with the hassle of borrowing and returning the faculty's sphygmomanometer.

Bruce1973

Thanks, UNEMSA. I don't mind to get a new set for my son. Can you confirm that this is the unit that I need to buy -Sphygmometer - Desk Mount?
Thanks again

UNEMSA

Hey Bruce, I think it'll be best to wait until your son has started to get the sphygmomanometer due to COVID and it's effects on in-person classes. However, if you want to buy it, faculty and students use this one!

bonana

for current JMP students (esp une), in previous years, when did timetables come out? Would like to know so I can plan what to do with work etc. Cheers

UNEMSA

for current JMP students (esp une), in previous years, when did timetables come out? Would like to know so I can plan what to do with work etc. Cheers
Timetables will come out a few weeks before you start! However they change every week and sometimes every few days just due to availability of lecturers. We're told to keep Monday-Friday 9am-5pm free. If you have more questions about how a week looks, have a look here!

Bruce1973

Hi Nihal,
I would also like to ask about the pre-placement requirements that are needed to be completed, more specifically the immunisation, the blue card and the required first aid courses.
For the immunisation requirement, is there an actual form a doctor needs to fill out and sign? This is because, from the site that is provided, there is a form for TB and hep B, but it only provides a checklist for the other vaccination requirements.
Regarding the blue card process, as my son is an interstate student, it is not possible to complete the application by verifying the documents at the specific service stations in NSW. So, would there be a specific time when UNE assist in the blue card verification process?
Also for the first aid courses, would it be required to also complete the CPR course?
By the way, we are from Brisbane

Thanks

UNEMSA

Hey Bruce,

Luckily, I'm from Brisbane too so that'll be helpful! For the immunisation requirements, did you receive a vaccination card with an area to fill batch numbers as that is what I received in 2019. Something that looks like this.
For the Blue Card, your son can do the online steps right now and when he arrives in Armidale, he can go to a Service NSW and do the rest of the form. There is a 6 month leeway to get all the forms completed so there is time!
For the First Aid, I'm pretty sure that CPR is required! Try to do it in Brisbane but if it isn't possible, depending on COVID restrictions, UNEMSA might be able to organise one in Armidale.

All the best!
Nihal

easyreps

Hey guy, just wondering if anyone knows if there will be any ability to work within the JMP? The program looks pretty jam-packed but hopefully, some of the lectures are not mandatory and I can watch them online.

S21

Hi I've just got a quick question! For the National Criminal Record Check, if we do it with the federal police, do we choose the 'care, instruction or supervision for children/care of disabled persons/age cared staffs/volunteers' option as the purpose of check? I'm just confused as to which option I should pick. Thanks

UNEMSA

Hey guy, just wondering if anyone knows if there will be any ability to work within the JMP? The program looks pretty jam-packed but hopefully, some of the lectures are not mandatory and I can watch them online.
Hey, it's a pretty jam-packed degree! Due to how often they change classes and with limited notice, a job in the daytime would be hard unless your employer is fine with limited notice. However, after 3/4pm, it's pretty free so an evening shift would work much better!

Hi I've just got a quick question! For the National Criminal Record Check, if we do it with the federal police, do we choose the 'care, instruction or supervision for children/care of disabled persons/age cared staffs/volunteers' option as the purpose of check? I'm just confused as to which option I should pick. Thanks
Hey, I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to choose the volunteer option!

haydesj

I'm currently working nightfill at a supermarket and intend to continue that through most of my studies. Most supermarkets will do nightfill from 5/6pm-11/midnight so it fits in well. Either that or something where you can pick up heaps of weekend hours such as bar work/hospitality I've been told are ideal.

UNEMSA

Hey everyone!

My name's Asha and I'm the 2022 Vice President for UNEMSA, the UNE Medical Students' Association. I’m posting this a little before offers come out so this doesn’t get lost in all the offer day craziness!

If you've received an offer, first of all, congratulations! It's very exciting, and we look forward to seeing you when you arrive some time next month. Some time after you accept your offer, you should receive an email from admissions explaining how to enrol and get started with compliance requirements for placement.

From our side, I have a few links that you'll find useful in the coming days and weeks:

Firstly, read our fabulous FRESHER GUIDE! It contains heaps of information on the colleges, places around town to eat and drink, as well as some textbooks and other things you might like to buy before you arrive.

Secondly, join the JMP UNE 2022-2026 Facebook group HERE! This is where most of the information you’ll receive from UNEMSA and other societies will be! It’s also a good way to suss out your new classmates hahaha

Thirdly, check out our website and our facebook page for more information on us and what we do!

So, with that out of the way, congratulations and welcome again! Please feel free to ask any questions below and I'll do my best to answer them promptly.

See y’all soon,

Asha ([email protected])