Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

John Flynn Placement Program

VeronicaHoran

Hi everyone:) This year I applied for the JFPP, however was unsuccessful in getting accepted. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to answer the questions in the application form: "what will you gain from the JFPP?", "how will you participate in the local community?". It would be great to hear from people who have been successful in the past. Also, I am not from a rural background, but I think I demonstrated well that I am still interested in rural health, so I'm not sure what went wrong
Thanks so much :)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Also, I am not from a rural background, but I think I demonstrated well that I am still interested in rural health, so I'm not sure what went wrong

Have you ever been interested enough to spend any time at all getting involved with any rural community at all? It's easy to spout stuff about being interested in anything but if you can't back it up with any actions then any interests you claim don't have much grounding.

VeronicaHoran

Have you ever been interested enough to spend any time at all getting involved with any rural community at all? It's easy to spout stuff about being interested in anything but if you can't back it up with any actions then any interests you claim don't have much grounding.
I haven't done this, thanks for the advice. Do have any suggestions as to how I could get involved in rural communities? Given that I don't live rurally, I won't be able to commit to any regular activities due to travel, so what I could I get involved in?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Every medical school out there has a rural society of some sort, which would usually (as a student) be my first point of call for opportunities or to create them.

Reactions: pi

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi! Can JFPP be done during the June/ July holidays? Or only during Nov/ Dec?
I haven’t heard of anyone doing it then, presumably because you need to do a minimum of 14 nights at a time and not many people would be willing to do that during the short June/July break. But, I would think hypothetically it’s still possible. LMG!?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi! Can JFPP be done during the June/ July holidays? Or only during Nov/ Dec?

You can do it whenever you like (provided your allocated GP can host you and, if it’s during uni time, you get permission). You can also use part of it to satisfy general practice placements (with uni approval).