• MSO wishes the best of luck to all users with upcoming interviews! For those interviewing at universities that do not have applicants sign an NDA, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send me (Crow) a PM with your interview questions to help future users. These will not be shared publicly until all interviews for that university have been completed. Cheers! ETA: Please check out our new Interview Portal!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JTT

Liam524

Lurker
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has had anything to do with Justin the tutor and what their thoughts on his tutoring was like ie was it worth it etc. Thanks

jocose

Lurker
I'm still in year 13 so haven't been tutored by JTT, but I've only heard good things from friends who have been through it. I think they are running things a little bit differently this year also. If you are interested send me a message and I can get you in touch with a friend who has been involved with JTT for some insight. :)

Hey I've had experience with JTT this year, I went to the test reviews the MMI interview course and a couple of workshops. Would I recommend you going to JTT? Depends on what it is. Firstly, their exam and test reviews I'd say are worth it. This is because in university you don't really get as many past papers compared to high school so it helps as the tutors talk you through each answer and explain why the other options are wrong. The test and exam reviews are pretty much where they give you a mock test. Most of the time its designed to be harder. I found some of the tests were similar to the real tests but some were not. Overall, the concepts tested were relevant and overall I found it beneficial. Now, in terms of the MMI interview workshop would I say it was useful? Yes. The two day course is great where Justin teaches you techniques and how to approach the questions which is great and theres lots of practice. Just note that a large chunk of the '10 hours of intensive teaching' is actually you practicing it. So in the end although what he teaches is great, its actually not all teaching and 50% of the time you are just practicing with people. The MMI simulation is also great, I think it is definitely worth the money and helps to identify your strengths and weaknesses. The interview is taken by junior doctors but doesn't always mean they are well trained in taking an interview. I guess they've been through the process and are able to think from an interview's point of view. In terms of the weekly class reviews and accelerator classes, I PERSONALLY would not recommend this. Pretty much you are just in a high school kind of classroom setting again and the material taught in the lecture is just being reinforced which I personally don't think is worth the money at all. University is designed to help you become more independent with your learning and there are SOOO many resources both provided by the university and on google to help with learning. The classes just reteach you what was taught in the lectures which could be done with you rewatching the lecture if you're stuck or using piazza to ask tutors, students and lecturers who can guide you in the right direction. They also do accelerators which teach you the lecture content a week ahead or something. I've been to one or two and didn't really see the point of getting ahead in my opinion. As long as you're up to date with stuff you will be absolutely fine. These companies often put a lot of pressure on the idea of falling behind and how important it is to get ahead which I agree with but if you remain consistent throughout the year and try your best not to fall behind (and catch up if you do), you will be absolutely fine. Don't ever be pressured to pay for tutoring if you see others doing it because you yourself feel like you will be disadvantaged. I had the same thoughts because honestly I get it, we are all scared when we come into biomed or healthsci, the standards are high and we constantly are reminded of competition. Having done biomed this year, I completely understand this and I think biomed overall is completely doable and realistic to do well in. Its hard at first to adjust but this is not only because biomed is more workload heavy than highschool but also because your study techniques are not efficient to be able to cope with university and you will be learning to discover what works for you in the first year too. Getting back to JTT, no matter how genuine they try to make themselves, it is a tutoring company at the end of the day who is charging you money - money that is valuable and its up to you to decide if it will be worth it. One thing I forgot to mention earlier is the summer courses available by tutoring companies for med who prepare you for OLY1 in the summer holidays. They often cost $2000-$3000 and honestly its not realistic to be teaching you an entire semester's worth of content in such a small amount of time. From what I've heard from people who did it - its not everything you need to know, its the main concepts. This is often more fast paced than uni and I just think its absolutely ridiculous for the amount you pay - the precious holidays you take up which you could have used to enjoy your break before the difficult year ahead. You could instead be using this time to look at studying techniques which will benefit you in not only in your premed year but also for the UCAT as well. Overall, would I recommend JTT? Depends! I recommend their test and exam reviews and highly recommend their interview simulation. I don't AT ALL recommend their weekly workshops for the courses or their summer preparation course. Use this as you wish, its totally up to you to decide how you would like to go about premed year. If you have any questions at all, let me know - I would be happy to answer them :) I definitely know the struggle of biomed but I think people make it sound so much scarier than what it actually is like. Not all the people are toxic or rude or whatever you've heard them to be. Yes that may be the case sometimes when they don't always help you because they don't want you to overtake them in this 'competition'. But most of the time, the people I've talked to are lovely. Be mindful that people from other majors also take the same papers and the people are honestly very kind and helpful (well the ones I've met anyway).

Pump

I agree with Ricecrispy - JTT is something that if you have the money for, go for it but i can't stress enough that you DO NOT NEED TO USE JTT TO GET INTO MEDICINE.

I personally detest JTT because of their marketing strategy of creating peer pressure, and this sense that without them, you can't get into medicine. Biomed/HS is definitely competitive in general but if you just put your head down, focus on your own study and do the best that you can, you can't really ask for much more.

I started biomed in 2014 and that was when Justin had been just working privately (pre-JTT) and he was known for his really aggressive marketing on our class Facebook page. Justin tends to make a lot of bold claims as if they are definitive and the final word (despite his numerous disclaimers). e.g. it's interesting that on his website here (Entering Medical School at the University of Auckland - JTT) he states that medical students are the worst for information as they just go by previous experiences. It's ironic because while JTT Tutors may have had some training by Justin, as far as i know, his current tutors are all former JTT alumni that got an A or A+ in biomed for their respective papers. A lot of his business model relies on eager beaver 2nd years to share their knowledge and experiences

A lot of his advertising and marketing is designed to make you think that you need his services to avoid missing out on a spot in med. Honestly i think it is a lot of bullshit that he professionally and aesthetically framed. I honestly could go on and on about JTT but i think overall - if you can afford it and you feel the FOMO, go for gold but honestly, people get in every year without the help of these predatory companies and you can too.

I agree with Ricecrispy - JTT is something that if you have the money for, go for it but i can't stress enough that you DO NOT NEED TO USE JTT TO GET INTO MEDICINE.

I personally detest JTT because of their marketing strategy of creating peer pressure, and this sense that without them, you can't get into medicine. Biomed/HS is definitely competitive in general but if you just put your head down, focus on your own study and do the best that you can, you can't really ask for much more.

I started biomed in 2014 and that was when Justin had been just working privately (pre-JTT) and he was known for his really aggressive marketing on our class Facebook page. Justin tends to make a lot of bold claims as if they are definitive and the final word (despite his numerous disclaimers). e.g. it's interesting that on his website here (Entering Medical School at the University of Auckland - JTT) he states that medical students are the worst for information as they just go by previous experiences. It's ironic because while JTT Tutors may have had some training by Justin, as far as i know, his current tutors are all former JTT alumni that got an A or A+ in biomed for their respective papers. A lot of his business model relies on eager beaver 2nd years to share their knowledge and experiences

A lot of his advertising and marketing is designed to make you think that you need his services to avoid missing out on a spot in med. Honestly i think it is a lot of bullshit that he professionally and aesthetically framed. I honestly could go on and on about JTT but i think overall - if you can afford it and you feel the FOMO, go for gold but honestly, people get in every year without the help of these predatory companies and you can too.
At the very least, JTT doesn't seem as predatory to the extent that Crimson Education is. I sat through an interview with a salesman and I was quite literally asked how affluent my family was, I was compared to my peers that were also considering tutoring, and was then pestered 3x a week. (They provided a locked-in contract of $20k+ worth of tutoring over 2 years, apparently done over Skype, and with a 1 week deadline "or risk losing your potential position.")

Everything changed when Biomed attacked:(
I remember going to this other company (forgot the name) with my dad to talk to the guy about what unis I should apply for in year 13. The guy was so scary and told me to take English (even though I dropped it in year 13 cause I didn’t need it) and get an A* in it. He said that’s the only way I’ll have a good chance getting in an uni in Australia when I only wanted to go Auckland. He tried luring by telling us that if we buy the package now we can get it for cheap. Guess what the price was...$5000!!! , he was saying how some of his students got accepted in some universities like Bond... I later tease he’d about Bond uni and it’s a private uni and if you go there the dept will be like 400k. And it’s easier to get into compared to other unis since it’s private but it comes with a cost.. literally.

Idk what I’m trying to get at but having gone through first year I have seen ppl who have used companies get worse grades than ppl who have not used these companies. I think the best thing you can do to prepare is learning how to learn and be efficient. If you have the money to buy some of these courses then go ahead cause you won’t get any worse... but if you don’t then don’t worry too much, my suggestion would be to pre study maybe the first 2-3 weeks of pop health and biosci 107 so you can get use to the content and focus on your study routine in those first few weeks where your getting used to things. Chem seems pretty easy in the first few weeks so shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Personally I did jtt and found the mock tests and mock exams very helpful and also the interview simulation. Justin is also a very nice guy but he may seem bit too intense when you initially hear him but that’s just how he is cause is pribs just that passionate.

Again this is just my opinion and don’t take it as fact. Talk to others so you can get a good idea and decide for yourself.

If you have any questions let me know, happy to help

Pump

JTT doesn't seem as predatory to the extent that Crimson Education is.
For sure, Crimson is on a whole new level. They're just 1000 different shades of shady. Was he selling you the contract for 20k? that's an insane amount of money

Idk what I’m trying to get at but having gone through first year I have seen ppl who have used companies get worse grades than ppl who have not used these companies.
An all-time favourite story is that when i was in biomed, there was a company called Avance (which Justin was a tutor for, just mildly interesting) who were very aggressive and predatory in their marketing, especially the "use our services or you wont get into med". There was a core group of like 6 or 7 guys that went week in and week out to Avance and barely attended lectures. After the first POPLHLTH111 test, one of them left the exam room with a mate saying "YO A+ EASY BRO A+" ... he ended up getting like 70% for that test. A week or two later we had the CHEM110 mid-terms and he got 51%. Again, he just went off Avance's notes and did not attend lectures. He ended up switching to law at the end of the first semester

Moral of the story is sure use the services but don't 100% rely on them or else you're an idiot

Liam524

Lurker
Hey
Hey I've had experience with JTT this year, I went to the test reviews the MMI interview course and a couple of workshops. Would I recommend you going to JTT? Depends on what it is. Firstly, their exam and test reviews I'd say are worth it. This is because in university you don't really get as many past papers compared to high school so it helps as the tutors talk you through each answer and explain why the other options are wrong. The test and exam reviews are pretty much where they give you a mock test. Most of the time its designed to be harder. I found some of the tests were similar to the real tests but some were not. Overall, the concepts tested were relevant and overall I found it beneficial. Now, in terms of the MMI interview workshop would I say it was useful? Yes. The two day course is great where Justin teaches you techniques and how to approach the questions which is great and theres lots of practice. Just note that a large chunk of the '10 hours of intensive teaching' is actually you practicing it. So in the end although what he teaches is great, its actually not all teaching and 50% of the time you are just practicing with people. The MMI simulation is also great, I think it is definitely worth the money and helps to identify your strengths and weaknesses. The interview is taken by junior doctors but doesn't always mean they are well trained in taking an interview. I guess they've been through the process and are able to think from an interview's point of view. In terms of the weekly class reviews and accelerator classes, I PERSONALLY would not recommend this. Pretty much you are just in a high school kind of classroom setting again and the material taught in the lecture is just being reinforced which I personally don't think is worth the money at all. University is designed to help you become more independent with your learning and there are SOOO many resources both provided by the university and on google to help with learning. The classes just reteach you what was taught in the lectures which could be done with you rewatching the lecture if you're stuck or using piazza to ask tutors, students and lecturers who can guide you in the right direction. They also do accelerators which teach you the lecture content a week ahead or something. I've been to one or two and didn't really see the point of getting ahead in my opinion. As long as you're up to date with stuff you will be absolutely fine. These companies often put a lot of pressure on the idea of falling behind and how important it is to get ahead which I agree with but if you remain consistent throughout the year and try your best not to fall behind (and catch up if you do), you will be absolutely fine. Don't ever be pressured to pay for tutoring if you see others doing it because you yourself feel like you will be disadvantaged. I had the same thoughts because honestly I get it, we are all scared when we come into biomed or healthsci, the standards are high and we constantly are reminded of competition. Having done biomed this year, I completely understand this and I think biomed overall is completely doable and realistic to do well in. Its hard at first to adjust but this is not only because biomed is more workload heavy than highschool but also because your study techniques are not efficient to be able to cope with university and you will be learning to discover what works for you in the first year too. Getting back to JTT, no matter how genuine they try to make themselves, it is a tutoring company at the end of the day who is charging you money - money that is valuable and its up to you to decide if it will be worth it. One thing I forgot to mention earlier is the summer courses available by tutoring companies for med who prepare you for OLY1 in the summer holidays. They often cost $2000-$3000 and honestly its not realistic to be teaching you an entire semester's worth of content in such a small amount of time. From what I've heard from people who did it - its not everything you need to know, its the main concepts. This is often more fast paced than uni and I just think its absolutely ridiculous for the amount you pay - the precious holidays you take up which you could have used to enjoy your break before the difficult year ahead. You could instead be using this time to look at studying techniques which will benefit you in not only in your premed year but also for the UCAT as well. Overall, would I recommend JTT? Depends! I recommend their test and exam reviews and highly recommend their interview simulation. I don't AT ALL recommend their weekly workshops for the courses or their summer preparation course. Use this as you wish, its totally up to you to decide how you would like to go about premed year. If you have any questions at all, let me know - I would be happy to answer them I definitely know the struggle of biomed but I think people make it sound so much scarier than what it actually is like. Not all the people are toxic or rude or whatever you've heard them to be. Yes that may be the case sometimes when they don't always help you because they don't want you to overtake them in this 'competition'. But most of the time, the people I've talked to are lovely. Be mindful that people from other majors also take the same papers and the people are honestly very kind and helpful (well the ones I've met anyway).
Hey that was so helpful thank you so very much!