Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

LaTrobe La Trobe Dentistry: Biology Prerequisite

I know this question sounds stupid.. but will not doing biology in year 12 mean that there is absolutely no chance of getting into la trobe university for dentistry even if i make the atar cut-off?

mecramarathon

well in looking at the website i fink biology and chemistry are definite pre-requisites

which makes me :(

cause i did chem and phy

drizzy

Dentistry - What if I don't have the prerequisites?
I am a Year 12 student, however I do not have the Chemistry/Biology subject required for Dentistry, what can I do?
Bachelor of Health Sciences in Dentistry/Master of Dentistry

Prerequisites
VCE Units 3 & 4: Study scores of at least 35 in any English (or 40 in ESL) and at least 35 in Biology and Chemistry.

Students who do not have the Biology/Chemistry prerequisite have the option to study with Open University Australia to complete a bridging courses in Biology and/or Chemistry. Students need to be aware the time required to complete the course in relation to the VTAC closing dates.

Alternatively, students may elect to undertake the Bachelor of Health Sciences as a pathway into the Bachelor of Health Sciences in Dentistry/Master of Dentistry. A transfer from one course into another course at La Trobe is not available automatically. Since the number of applicants frequently exceeds the number of places available, all applications are considered on the basis of academic merit.

Directly from La Trobe.

I'm not sure what's the requirement in 2011(this year's year 12s), but I got an offer for Dent this year(I'm a 2010 year 12 student), even though I haven't studied biology.

I know this question sounds stupid.. but will not doing biology in year 12 mean that there is absolutely no chance of getting into la trobe university for dentistry even if i make the atar cut-off?

Absolutely no chance. I didn't do Year 12 Biology and asked the university if I could still be considered for entry if I complete a bridging course. They stated that there was absolutely no chance, and that they already had enough applicants who has fulfilled the biology prerequisite.

I'm not sure what's the requirement in 2011(this year's year 12s), but I got an offer for Dent this year(I'm a 2010 year 12 student), even though I haven't studied biology.

Didn't see your post there. This seems strange, as the uni told me that they flatly refused to give offers to those that haven't done Year 12 Biology. Did you get some sort of crazy high ATAR?

GV

Q - If you were to do HS at Latrobe and apply as a non-standard would you still need the 98%tile UMAT or would you be considered differently to other non-standards?

Nope, no crazy high ATAR. It depends on the sources you consult @ LaTrobe. There was confusion for a while as to whether Biology AND Chemistry were required- perhaps they took that into account and gave a lee way for this year. Not sure. In any case, I say go for it and just put it down in case.

arivankov

Lurker
I've contacted the university and they said that one must complete the bridging course. However once I went online the course runs for 52 weeks, costs $800 and has to be completed before enrollment? I was so set on Dentistry at La Trobe. What are some other options guys? Please help me Dentistry is on of the two only things I desperately want to get into. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS :'(

yandrewcheng

Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread but I'm really worried about my chances of staying in melb - specifically for MBBS and if, failing that, Dent at latrobe

I have a friend who got into dent last year 2010 that did chem and got an offer, but before I realised Bio was implemented as a prereq it was already too late and so I won't have Bio as a prereq at the end of 2011. I will have chem though - does anyone know if there is any chance of being considered at all?

Thank you!

vincent168

Stimodont
Maybe quite slim tbh because when implemented last year, students couldn't even choose the bio prerequisite but for 2011 I guess you could have if you checked beforehand?

SkyJuice

I've contacted the university and they said that one must complete the bridging course. However once I went online the course runs for 52 weeks, costs $800 and has to be completed before enrollment? I was so set on Dentistry at La Trobe. What are some other options guys? Please help me Dentistry is on of the two only things I desperately want to get into. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS :'(

hey ari,
I called la trobe last week, it seems that the requirement for biology is only for school students, and some non standard applicants, they usually waive this for graduates if we already some form of a biology background eg from studying bachelor of science. hope it helps

BuZzle

Hi!

I am interested in studying dentistry next year and was looking around at all the dental schools I could apply for next year. I didn't do HSC Biology so I am wondering if I need to do a bridging course before the offers come out next year (so November 2017 to February 2018) or do a bridging course during the university year? I would be up for doing a bridging course in Biology if needed for any dental schools. I am doing HSC Chemistry and HSC Physics though, so I don't know if I absolutely need to take a biology bridging course. Any advice or help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read ^_^

Warm regards,

BuZzle

Lantern

Hello BuZzle,

This is something I can partially assist with, since a close friend of mine told me a lot of La Trobe dentistry (entry wise). You will definitely need Biology, despite currently doing HSC Chemistry and HSC Physics.

You do not necessarily need to do HSC Biology, but a bridging course or any external examination suffices this pre-requisite. For example in my state (QLD), we have external examinations which are optional, taken by those who generally want to suffice any pre-requisites. It isn't a "course", but rather a 3 hour exam that you need to pass (and presumably study a years worth of content for).

I'd assume you need to satisfy the requirement prior to starting the course (I'll double check), but go around ASAP to see if there are any opportunities around.

BuZzle

Hello BuZzle,

This is something I can partially assist with, since a close friend of mine told me a lot of La Trobe dentistry (entry wise). You will definitely need Biology, despite currently doing HSC Chemistry and HSC Physics.

You do not necessarily need to do HSC Biology, but a bridging course or any external examination suffices this pre-requisite. For example in my state (QLD), we have external examinations which are optional, taken by those who generally want to suffice any pre-requisites. It isn't a "course", but rather a 3 hour exam that you need to pass (and presumably study a years worth of content for).

I'd assume you need to satisfy the requirement prior to starting the course (I'll double check), but go around ASAP to see if there are any opportunities around.

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I was worried about having to satisfy the requirement prior, because I'm worried that it would be pointless to do if I don't make it into La Trobe or any other dental school. However, I will see what I can do, I probably need the prerequisite anyway :)