Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

LaTrobe La Trobe Dentistry: General Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 34945
  • Start date

Unluckydude

Does La Trobe bachelor of dental science honours require the UCAT? and does anyone know what the 2021 ATAR cutoff was?
Thank you! Would a 99.55 ATAR (year 12 school leaver) not get an offer?
The cut off was 99.05 for metro applicants.

Thank you! Would a 99.55 ATAR (year 12 school leaver) not get an offer?
Did you not get an offer with a 99.55 ATAR? As tksm said, you need to have done Yr 12 chem and biology to be eligible for an offer.

I also applied via this pathway for 2021 intake and surprisingly was rejected with a 92 wam. I personally find it hard to believe a 92+ wam would be the cutoff this year but it must've been super competitive. What's weird was they sent outright rejection letters in December this year as opposed to their usual format of sending offers until February. I called them to explain this sudden change, I was told by the admissions team they were not even considering top up offers for internal transfer applicants.

I thought I was in a good spot considering the lowest wam intake I knew of was 89.6 for the previous application cycle but boy was I shocked when I got the email.

Nonetheless, I suspect the change in this years procedure could be because of the university's lost revenue from international students and them having to reduce the number of CSP spots?? Or maybe to reserve more spots for internationals instead to try and recover their money? I have no idea if they plan on maintaining this stance for the 2022 cycle.

Either way I was fortunate enough to get into Griffith dentistry with a 7 GPA so I'm happy at the end of the day.

That's indeed very uprising. Maybe I should give my name to you ;)

I don't think they dramatically reduced the number of CSP spots this year because the cut-off for metro applicants dropped from 99.20 to 99.05. However, the unadjusted median ATAR went up from 99.10 to 99.55, suggesting that they are more strict with SEAS bonus this year. I'm not sure if Latrobe takes seas into consideration for internal transfer applications and the person with 89.6 WAM had seas.

It's possible that they are allocating more spots from transfer applicants to school leavers/international students this year.

Tomato

Hey, if anyones wondering - or just for the stats: 54 students are in the dental program at Latrobe program for 2021 of which more than half are rural based students.
54 seems a lot less than the past years which might be around 100? Does L a Trobe accept international students now?

goldEn23

54 seems a lot less than the past years which might be around 100? Does L a Trobe accept international students now?
The initial cohort who get offered is around 65 Ish, but many leave before census date. Also, LaTrobe is starting to cap the number of dentists it can graduate each year.

As for your other questions about intonational students - Latrobe primarily attracts Canadian students. In the current cohort (2021 entry) there are about 4-5 Canadians studying dent.

Unluckydude

Where did you hear that Latrobe accepts 100 students each year?
2020 entry also only had 54 students.

Many universities significantly increased their intake from 2012-2017 because CSP funding was not capped back then. But this is no longer the case.

Tomato

Rueben2

Hey guys, I’m currently in my third year of science at Monash, can I apply? If so what’s a competitive gpa, will also be sitting the UCAT, what’s a competitive score for that? As I come from a science field, I have completed chemistry and bio in first year and my major is physiology, will that suffice considering I can apply?

thanks

Caffeine

Hey guys, I’m currently in my third year of science at Monash, can I apply? If so what’s a competitive gpa, will also be sitting the UCAT, what’s a competitive score for that? As I come from a science field, I have completed chemistry and bio in first year and my major is physiology, will that suffice considering I can apply?

thanks
It is a bit unclear on their website so it would be a good idea to ask the university themselves but in the past you need an extremely high UCAT score to be considered around the 97th% [3000+] from what I have heard if you are not a school leaver. As for how they asses your GPA it's also not exactly clear but the cut-off was higher than 90%[WAM wise it was 94% or something I think so that is probably quite a high GPA equivalent] I believe this was for a lateral entry pathway for current latrobe students. I would assume the GPA might be around the 6.7-6.9 mark. Your current degree should mean you meet the pre-reqs but again would check.

Unluckydude

thanks
It is a bit unclear on their website so it would be a good idea to ask the university themselves but in the past you need an extremely high UCAT score to be considered around the 97th% [3000+] from what I have heard if you are not a school leaver. As for how they asses your GPA it's also not exactly clear but the cut-off was higher than 90%[WAM wise it was 94% or something I think so that is probably quite a high GPA equivalent] I believe this was for a lateral entry pathway for current latrobe students. I would assume the GPA might be around the 6.7-6.9 mark. Your current degree should mean you meet the pre-reqs but again would check.
They use WAM for internal transfer applications and GPA/UCAT (mainly UCAT) combo for external transfer applications. The process isn't very transparent and you're unlikely to get useful information even if you contact them.

Based on what people reported on MSO, the wam cut-off was probably in the mid 90's last year even though there were people who got in with mid 80's in previous years.

Here are the scores of people who received Latrobe offers last year
LaTrobe: Dentistry
First offers released Nov 20th
UCAT: 95th%ile, ATAR: 99.05 (gap year), waiting on other offers for final decision making
UCAT: 93rd%ile, GPA: 6.4, waiting on other offers for final decision making
UCAT: 2980, GPA: 6.875, waiting on SATAC
UCAT: 70th%ile, ATAR: 99.35, SEAS, accepting

For external students, I would say try to aim for 95%+UCAT and 6.5+GPA even though a lower combo may still land you an offer.

Rueben2

They use WAM for internal transfer applications and GPA/UCAT (mainly UCAT) combo for external transfer applications. The process isn't very transparent and you're unlikely to get useful information even if you contact them.

Based on what people reported on MSO, the wam cut-off was probably in the mid 90's last year even though there were people who got in with mid 80's in previous years.

Here are the scores of people who received Latrobe offers last year

For external students, I would say try to aim for 95%+UCAT and 6.5+GPA even though a lower combo may still land you an offer.
those are some high scores, any chance other undergrad unis require lower scores for dent? my gpa is around 6.0 rn, hoping to get it higher but it shouldn't drop below this, and Ive also never sat the UCAT before

Unluckydude

those are some high scores, any chance other undergrad unis require lower scores for dent? my gpa is around 6.0 rn, hoping to get it higher but it shouldn't drop below this, and Ive also never sat the UCAT before
You still have a chance to get into Latrobe dent if you get a high UCAT score. As I said, UCAT is the primary determinant for external transfer applications.

You can apply for JCU dent if you have a good portfolio (ie. dentistry related experience). The UCAT cut-off for Adelaide interview was 88% last year, but it seems like you need 6.5+GPA to be competitive because they combine UCAT and GPA. Furthermore, interview plays a very big role for Adelaide dent. I remember someone on this forum had something like 95%UCAT/6.7GPA and only got a 2nd or 3rd round offer.

University of Adelaide: Dentistry
First offers released Jan 15th
UCAT: 3130, ATAR: 99.05
UCAT: 3080, CIE unknown ATAR, accepting
UCAT: 3000, ATAR: 98.60, local, accepting
UCAT: 99th%ile, GPA: 6.50, accepting
UCAT: 94th%ile, ATAR: 99.75, declining
UCAT: 94th%ile, ATAR: 99.65, accepting (and declining UQ Med)
UCAT: 91st%ile, ATAR: 97.60, subject bonuses, accepting, offer received Jan 28th
UCAT: 89th%ile, ATAR: 95.60, interstate, accepting
UCAT: 88th%ile, GPA: 6.875, accepting (and declining LaTrobe and Griffith)

Griffith dent changed their selection process to GPA+UCAT+interview this year, so we don't know their UCAT and GPA cut-offs. But we suspect it might be lower than other dental schools because the last two years of Griffith dent are full-fee.

You may find the following two pages helpful:

laik

Any advice on writing an aspire application? Also, does the time you've done volunteering for need to be long? Or is it more about how well you write your application? Final question, sorry, does anyone know roughly how many places in the dentistry course are reserved for successful aspire applicants? Thanks

laik

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post under but I have 2 questions:
1. With the Aspire offer for LaTrobe dentistry, they said something about having it as your highest preference, but I have heard conflicting things about that. Let's say I got the aspire offer in October. I put Monash med as my no. 1 and Latrobe dentistry as my no.2 preference. When Round 1 offers come out, I (hypothetically) get into monash med. Would my aspire offer still stand if I were to decline the monash med offer?
2. I heard that if you submit your Aspire application early, you have the possibility of getting an offer even before the early offers in October- is that true?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MystK

Hi, just confirming La Trobe dent needs 99.20 for a 100% offer? So like no interviews, no ucat needed for School leavers right?

Caffeine

Hi, just confirming La Trobe dent needs 99.20 for a 100% offer? So like no interviews, no ucat needed for School leavers right?
There is never certainty in offers as numerous variables for example more people applying can change requirements. It is likely not certain. And yes there are no other academic requirememts

Hey if I was to do dentistry at latrobe what pathway would I have to take after i graduate to become an OMF surgeon. Or is it better to do medicine and then become an OMF surgeon.

Thanks in advance

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey if I was to do dentistry at latrobe what pathway would I have to take after i graduate to become an OMF surgeon. Or is it better to do medicine and then become an OMF surgeon.

Thanks in advance
The two OMFS I’ve done placement with this year (small sample size, I know!) did dent first. And a friend’s partner who is currently training also did dent first. But I’d imagine either way works. There are some good threads here on OMFS contributed to by those with excellent knowledge so I’d have a search.

Caffeine

Thanks in advance
Either pathway works however there are quite a small number of available positions in the training program so I would take caution as not everyone with both degrees get into the program.