Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Learning Anatomy Tips and Discussion

Nikolina

Hi, now I'am a first year med student, and I have some strugles about anatomy. I'm not really sure that I am learning the right way plus I forget that really fast, and I am so bored of repeating again and again. So I wanted to ask you about some tips, how to learn it and stay 'health'? What is your study tehnicks, do you know some videos on internet that can help or something. Anything you know will help, thank you! 😊And how many hours you studied anatomy daily?

rustyedges

Hi Nikolina, welcome! :)

Anatomy is one of those subjects that requires not a huge amount of understanding, just a lot of rote memorisation.

One of my favourite resources was the Acland Anatomy video series, which goes through all the anatomy (except neuro) with nice prosections pointing out all the relevant structures with arrows. It's not free, but you may be able to access it freely through your university. In terms of memorisation, I found flashcards very useful. I used Netter's flashcards, but have seen others like Gray's anatomy ones which look good too. The trick with flashcards is repetition over weeks, rather than learning once.

I'm not sure how much lab/dissection time you get, but as someone who used to demonstrate anatomy labs, I think it is very worthwhile looking over and familialising yourself with the content that is covered before the lab. That way you are spending your time with prosections/dissecting actually seeing and testing yourself on the structures rather than learning new names on the spot.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
My university provides DAVRs (can’t actually remember what the acronym stands for, whoops), which are recordings of each dissection lab completed, and narrated, by our anatomy lecturer. They’re continually available to watch and re-watch, including (especially) before labs, which definitely helps to facilitate efficiency and familiarisation during dissection. Do you know if your university has anything similar?

Also, I’ve found flashcards and mnemonics hugely useful. Even just making up my own mnemonics on occasion was great.

Nikolina

Do you know some tips for remembering Latin suffixes, I really fight to learn when is lateralis and when is laterale and others. Is there some declinaton or some 'easy' way to remember it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikolina

Hello, i really can't understand how is this muscle appear. I read that m. intercostalis internus and m. intercostalis externus make together this muscle, but i can't imagine that, so if anyone can explain, thanks. And as soon as you can, I have an exam really fast.

govpop

There are 3 layers of intercostal muscles.

Intercostalis intimus (or the innermost intercostal) is simply the most internal of these layers. The fibers run in the same direction as the internal intercostals and have the same action of assisting active expiration.

As an aside, asking people to hurry up and give you an answer because you have an exam coming up is unlikely to produce helpful responses.

ponyswordz

UAdel BDS (2020-2024)
Valued Member
Inter (in between) - costals (ribs) = muscle in between the ribs

Order from posteriorly to anteriorly: innermost > internal intercostal > external intercostal (NOT to be confused with subcostals)

However, i would say that the intercostals play a bigger role in assisting active inspiration than active expiration since the ribs are located more superiorly relatively to the body, meaning that the intercostals have a higher tendency to elevate the ribs and thus inhale air. However, sources differ between the actions of internal/innermost when compared with the external intercostal.

If you were to view from posteriorly, the first intercostal muscle you would see is intimus (innermost). If you make a superficial dissection that doesn't cut through the entire intercostal muscle from the same posterior view, you would see the internal and external intercostal layer.

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
1581067015865.png

Visuals are always best to explain anatomy! Note that the innermost intercostal layer does not extend around the entire circumference of the ribs, but only in the lateral aspects of either side. In an anatomy exam, look for the neurovascular bundle (the collection of intercostal vein, artery and nerve) - if you can see this then you will be able to differentiate between the internal intercostals (superficial to the bundle) and the innermost intercostals (deep to the bundle).
1581067361214.png

Best of luck with your exam :)

Nikolina

View attachment 3298

Visuals are always best to explain anatomy! Note that the innermost intercostal layer does not extend around the entire circumference of the ribs, but only in the lateral aspects of either side. In an anatomy exam, look for the neurovascular bundle (the collection of intercostal vein, artery and nerve) - if you can see this then you will be able to differentiate between the internal intercostals (superficial to the bundle) and the innermost intercostals (deep to the bundle).
View attachment 3299

Best of luck with your exam :)
Thank you so much! 😄

emmevideos

Hi, now I'am a first year med student, and I have some strugles about anatomy. I'm not really sure that I am learning the right way plus I forget that really fast, and I am so bored of repeating again and again. So I wanted to ask you about some tips, how to learn it and stay 'health'? What is your study tehnicks, do you know some videos on internet that can help or something. Anything you know will help, thank you! 😊And how many hours you studied anatomy daily?
can definitely recommend Instant Anatomy both as a book and a podcast, by Bob Whitaker