• UCAT results are out! Just kidding, I'm just testing the notices system. Cheers, Mana

Lowest GPA for JCU Dentistry

jiaxing

Hi everyone!

I’ve researched quite a bit on MSO for the past GPAs that students have got to get into Dentistry at JCU. However, I can’t find much; most of MSO is dedicated to Medicine.

So, if there’s anybody out there who is doing Dentistry at JCU, could you please let me know what GPA is ideal for entry (assuming you have a decent application)?

PS. I’m non-rural, from Sydney, and have over 3 weeks experience shadowing dentists (one of these is a rural overseas experience).

Austin

A 5.5 is the minimum to get an interview. I think I've seen some offers given on this GPA considering very strong interviews and written apps.

ajs604

Hi I have a GPA of 5.31. I was told if I had a good application and interview I may stand a chance on getting an interview. Have I been mislead?

Mana

Registrar
Administrar
Hi I have a GPA of 5.31. I was told if I had a good application and interview I may stand a chance on getting an interview. Have I been mislead?
No, but you might want to know that having a 'good' application for JCU with that GPA usually means you have spent a large portion of your life living in a rural setting - especially rural QLD - as well as having reasonable experience with the Indigenous Australian population. If you don't fulfill either of those, it's going to be pretty damn hard to make an application strong enough to offset a GPA of 5.3.

ajs604

I have lived and worked in rural Victoria for 6 month and am presently in a role (city based), where I come into contact with Indigenous Australians on a regular occasion as a clinician. Not sure whether this would be enough?

If not I am considering doing the first year of a degree to boost my GPA.

LMG!

Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018
I have lived and worked in rural Victoria for 6 month and am presently in a role (city based), where I come into contact with Indigenous Australians on a regular occasion as a clinician. Not sure whether this would be enough?

If not I am considering doing the first year of a degree to boost my GPA.
It would very much depend on how you go about answering the JCU application questions using that information/your experiences and then how that application is received at the other end. This is not something we can predict, obviously, so can't comment on whether it would "be enough". All we can say is that we've not had any non-rural, non-standard applicants here at MSO report being successful with a GPA in the vicinity of yours (though it's obviously also important to note that the people who report here are only a small minority, and for JCU Dent we get very little information in general, making predictions even harder).

Best of luck with your decision making.

ajs604

I have not be online for a while but forgot to add my GPA has since been confirned at 5.8. So hopefully that will bump me up abit. I intend to apply for JCU in 2020, so between now and then I will work on my written application.

Does anyone know if shadowing a dentist is necessary? I work in community health and we have dentists on site so I am quite familar with what they do. I have also had extensive orthodontics in the past which has made me interested in the dental field.

I am hoping that my experiences in community health as a podiatrist and a good application will be enough to get me across the line. I also believe that I have good manual dexterity skills from using a a scalpel and including the use of local anaesthetic injections to perform various procedures on the foot.

Crow

Most Active 2018
Does anyone know if shadowing a dentist is necessary?
Nobody can tell you if it's "necessary" or not (we don't have the marking criteria for the written application), but experience is a component of the written application, and thus you'll need to convey experience you have in one way or another in a way that indicates your motivation to pursue dentistry. Particularly given you are competing for very minimal non-standard positions, are non-rural and have a relatively low GPA, certainly you'll need a very high score in your written application to offset these factors and have a chance of admission to JCU. If you believe you can convey the experience you've had in community health in a way that displays a strong passion for, and understanding of, dentistry (and in particular rural dentistry) then perhaps you've answered your own question here.
I also believe that I have good manual dexterity skills from using a a scalpel and including the use of local anaesthetic injections to perform various procedures on the foot.
I think it's pretty safe to say having good manual dexterity will not be part of the criteria sheet, given it's a written application, rather than a practical examination. This might help you in the course, but likely won't with gaining admission into the course.

Good luck.

sal123

Hey, does JCU calculate standalone honours as a GPA on its own (similar to griffith) or do they combine it with the bachelor GPA?

Crow

Most Active 2018
Hey, does JCU calculate standalone honours as a GPA on its own (similar to griffith) or do they combine it with the bachelor GPA?
I believe not, my understanding is that they’ll just look at the bachelor degree (though in the situation of a tiebreaker they may consider a person with an honours degree over someone with just a straight bachelors).