Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Making friends in Australia

Sony

Thanks guys!! :D

So school has started and it's been ok so far.. As students there have already known each other for years, is it advisable for me to be more initiative and intervene ppl's conversation or would people think of me as a weirdo?..

Rex... just relax and be yourself... I have travelled a fair bit.. and know exactly how hard it is to fit in... and make new friends.. but if you just be yourself and talk to people I'm sure you'll be fine.. :) its no big deal...
well.. I dont think intervening in other people's convo's is a very good idea... but jus talk to people around you.. introduce yourself.. and just relax and enjoy.. :)

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
So school has started and it's been ok so far.. As students there have already known each other for years, is it advisable for me to be more initiative and intervene ppl's conversation or would people think of me as a weirdo?..

My advice would be to identify a group (or groups) of people who look friendly and with whom you'd like to be friends with and ask if you can sit with them, they'll think you adorably polite, make a point to involve you in the conversation and you're now free to enter the conversation without feeling weird. The hardest part is identifying that group of people that most matches you in terms of friendship.

elixir

All groups of people will be different so i really aggree with matts advice to choose carefully a group that you think you'd identify with. Most important part is that you feel comfortable- if you don't then they may not be the right group of people for you. Ask about the others in the group in first convo's because people in general like talking about them selves and from there try and find some common interests and conversation should flow more easily and less awkwardly for you.

That's the first I've heard of Australians being hard to approach.
Me too, although I'm a Chinese Kiwi. First day in Year 10, people everywhere asking me to say 'Fish and Chips'. I think they were disappointed I didnt say Fush and Chops or something.

All groups of people will be different so i really aggree with matts advice to choose carefully a group that you think you'd identify with. Most important part is that you feel comfortable- if you don't then they may not be the right group of people for you. Ask about the others in the group in first convo's because people in general like talking about them selves and from there try and find some common interests and conversation should flow more easily and less awkwardly for you.

Making friends come naturally! Don't worry Rex! elixir's right, common interests help a LOT. I got addicted to AFL in my first year, never looked back. You would be surprised at number of asians who love footy, haha!

cruelladv

Me too, although I'm a Chinese Kiwi. First day in Year 10, people everywhere asking me to say 'Fish and Chips'. I think they were disappointed I didnt say Fush and Chops or something.

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!? You're a kiwi who doesn't say "fush and chops"?!?! What is the world coming to?! ;)

Rex

I'll admit I was a little disappointed too :(

I tend to agree with walker.

Actually school isn't that bad after all. I've already made some friends.

I dun really get it. Is cultural difference a big issue in Australia? Do people discriminate against people from other cultures? :(

LemonTea

Senior Procrastinator
Do people discriminate against people from other cultures? :(

That happens everywhere. Be prepared to deal with it.

You have to learn to laugh at racism. You won't survive in Australia if you can't.

gulls

Victim of Procrastination
Emeritus Staff
This thread has been moved from 'General Discussion' to 'International Students' as it is more appropriate.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
In my personal opinion is keeping smile in your face and be sociable these are best way for making new friends in everywhere...

And asking question. People love to answer questions. Also very good first date advice. ;)