Many Textbooks... Small Bag

Discussion in 'Studying Medicine' started by pha0015, Mar 23, 2018.

1. pha0015

pha0015 New Member

I'm a year 12 student who has no idea how things work in uni. I've just seen the textbook book list and there's 12 textbooks needed just for semester one. How do med students bring all of these to school in a single backpack? Do they bring textbooks to uni even?

Also, what would be the ideal bag (if necessary to fit all books) for a med student (female)?

What about stationery and laptops (within a budget of course)?

I'm asking a lot of questions. Sorry.

2. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB III

Former Med Lab Scientist
    you don't carry every textbook with you each day, i at most take 2 textbooks with me each day, and generally only one. Most of my peers seem to take zero. Also you could just go down the ebook route and carry them on a laptop :)

3. pha0015

pha0015 New Member

thanks. that clears up a lot

4. pi

pi Junior doctor Administrar

Junior doctor
    Most textbooks can be PDFs too :)

5. jelli

jelli New Member

I'm only four weeks into my degree at Monash, but I've never taken textbooks into uni because:
    a) they've been mostly for prereading which I do at home and;
    b) we literally just don't use textbooks that much in general (and I tend to use pdfs when we do) .
    In regards to laptop/stationery, I've found it really useful to annotate lecture slides during lectures and write out notes later so I use a touch screen laptop, but almost everyone else just types their notes :)
    Most people tend to use backpacks or satchels to carry their stuff around

JMP Lova likes this.
  6. JordanMike

JordanMike GPA

IT Expert
    This is not really an assumption to take all the textbooks in uni. I recommended you takes only those textbooks that you have to study in you lecture but you take your laptop on daily basis to gain more better opportunities. As you are a medical student so you must be aware and have a stunning concentration with all these facts..

7. frootloop

frootloop D-D-D-Doctor Moderator

After 8 years at uni, I still occasionally walk around with a spine-destroying bag load of books. It just depends on what works best for you - plenty of people don't learn overly well in front of a computer.

No need for the weird passive-aggression at the end of your post (although apologies if I've misread that).