Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Mature students: Advice/chat

4everAlone

Hi,

I have a couple of questions that need to be answered (ok, more like 4):

1. Which is easier to get into for OLY1 - BHSc or BSc (Biomed)? I have studied in the past at university but have never graduated with a degree. I've been on a study break for the past 2 years, however my GPA from my previous university isn't that great (averages out to be about a 5, due to having a baby and a marriage breakdown during the last year of study I did). I have most of a BA and LLB, but due to circumstances, have been unable to complete. I gained an A Bursary in 2002, if that helps with your answer. I have no idea when it comes to NCEA.

2. This is for mature students who have done OLY1 - how did you find it? I'll be 27 next month, so I am not that old, but well aware that I will mainly be around students who are nearly 10 years younger than myself. Are you able to focus

3. Is there anyone on here who is studying med at Auckland as a single parent? I would like to know your experiences so far and how this has affected your study and the results you have got so far academically.

4. Also, anyone who has gained entry through MAPAS? I am of Maori descent, but would prefer to gain entry based on my GPA, UMAT score and interview. Is it also quite competitive to gain entry onto medicine through MAPAS? I am also thinking of the extra support they offer, especially due to me being a single parent.

Thanks in advance for your answers and advice. I am well aware that applications close on the 8th of December and I am trying to get things sorted as quickly as possible.

1. BHSc is easier to get into as a school leaver, so I assume it's also easier to get into for a mature student. Best to just ask the university though...
2. I can't answer this but we have a few mature students in our year who obviously got through. I think [MENTION=389]Nealie[/MENTION] could help here?
4. Entry through MAPAS is still competitive, but definitely less competitive than the other pathways. MAPAS also have their own quota, so you're not competing against those people entering through other pathways. As a single parent, the extra support they offer would most definitely be helpful. This includes extra tutorials, meetings with a co-ordinator to make sure you're on track and running smoothly, and in OLY1 a bunch of friends to stick with in the giant swamp of unfriendly students! (Only unfriendly as everyone sees you as a competition)

Hope that helps

Nealie

Auckland MBchB
Hey There,

I can add to q 2 & 3. It's a tough course, there's no doubt about it. Being older, in and of itself doesn't mean much IMO - particularly in regard to your ability to focus. I think people do what they want to do. If you want to return to study as a mature student you'll find a way to make it work. I know other mum's who have tried returning to tertiary education but haven't liked it or been able to stick it out. I loved my BHSc degree & am also enjoying medicine now. I think it depends on who you are & what turns you on, so to speak!

I am not a single mum, but I am a mother to 4 young children. I've just finished my 2nd year in the MBChB. Admission requirements unfortunately now mean that you have to work your arse off to qualify...this is very difficult with kids. But for at least that first year, your priority has to be your GPA & maintaining it. If you decide to give it a shot you need to organise your life very carefully in advance. You're talking about March-Nov. 9 months of working hell for leather. I used to leave uni about 4pm, see my kids from about 4.30-7.30 (bedtime) then work every night till about midnight.

Now that I'm into the degree I don't keep anything like those hours. It's still stressful & I need heaps of family support, but I didn't work out of normal business hours at all this year - except around exam time. So Mon-Fri 9-5 were how I got through 2nd year & that's my plan for next year also. The clinical years are different again, so we'll reasses my schedule then.

Most med students are rather obsessed with maintaining their GPAs. So many work very very hard. I don't care about my GPA anymore. As long as I pass & I'm understanding the important stuff that's enough for me. So yep, my GPA is dropping with every set of results, but that was always the plan.

PM me if you want anymore info on being a parent & a med student. There are a handful of us in most years. It's obviously got some major disadvantages, but mostly, I have found it hugely comforting to come home to 'my people' everyday - always cheerful & keen to see me. It's a great reminder of what's most important to me & about balancing life & career. Best of luck.

Nealie

Auckland MBchB
Nice OP. I whole heartedly agree with all of what you've said. I would go as far as recommended foundational courses BEFORE OLY1 for those who've been out of education (like myself) for a lloooonnnnggggg time. My chem grade screwed over my whole GPA for OLY1. Got there in the end & really enjoyed my undergrad degree..but it's a circuitous route ;-)

FWIW, and obviously anecdotally, familiarity with UMAT style testing was a great advantage for me. Second test results ridiculously better than first - which were fair. I don't think my innate 'aptitude' changed that much over a 12 month period!!!!! ;-)

solobabe

Nealie do you know any mature med students/parents who got through to med doing OLY1? Im just wondering whether it might be less stressful on the family doing a 3 year degree instead of OLY1, what do you think? Did you consider doing OLY1?

Midi2Med we are in very similar positions! How old is your little one? Im thinking of starting the quest for med in 2013 when my youngest will be 2 almost 3.

Nealie

Auckland MBchB
I did OLY1 but didn't make the cut. My chem grade let me down - but I had no science background at all. OLY1 is also the first year of the 2 other health/medicine related degrees. So unless you have a particular interest in something other than health it makes sense to do OLY1, see how you go & have the opportunity to apply to med after only 1 year. If you don't make the cut you have the benefit of already having done the first year of either the BHSc or the Biomed degree, meaning you can apply again after 2 more years. I absolutely loved my BHSc degree. It's added something extremely valuable to my outlook on health & medicine.

Quite frankly though, as stressful as OLY1 is, I think you'll find most 2nd year medders say not too much has changed in regards to their stress levels from last year to this (correct me guys if this is not the case). So in some ways the first year is a good 'trial by fire' run to prepare yourself and your family for a long haul at uni in a tough course + of course the first 15 years of your medical career!!!!! Best of luck with your decision. Please do read the thread below called advice to mature students, there's some good ideas there.

qbob

Quite frankly though, as stressful as OLY1 is, I think you'll find most 2nd year medders say not too much has changed in regards to their stress levels from last year to this (correct me guys if this is not the case).

interesting. I have lots of friends who studied med at Otago and they all say that their second year was much more relaxed compared to the HSFY. Perhaps this is because Auckland still have letter grades for years 2/3 whereas Otago is just pass/fail.

Either way I guess I'll see next year :D

Nealie

Auckland MBchB
Yeah, you may be right qbob. This year has been MUCH tougher than the other 3 years of my degree. It may not be the actual workload as just the hype etc??? I dunno perhaps it's different for everyone & perhaps I've forgotten what 1st year was like? With no science background you are at a def disadvantage in 2nd year. So some of us grads have done it a bit tougher than others I think?

qbob

yea I can definitely imagine a tough transition from a nonscience degree straight into med. It's just such a different learning style... I'm super glad that they held me back for a year to allow me to complete 4 of the first year biomed papers :\

Nealie

Auckland MBchB
Ah yeah, definitely a good move...another grad & myself buddied up to study this year (we learn in similar styles) & we started the year asking questions like, so what exactly is DNA, so what exactly is "pressure".....seriously...it was pathetic!!!!

D

dylangordhan

biology is perhaps the easiest science to pick up. chemistry on the other hand is very difficult with more exceptions than rules so yeah i would agree that foundations are necessary

Havox

Sword and Martini Guy!
Emeritus Staff
biology is perhaps the easiest science to pick up. chemistry on the other hand is very difficult with more exceptions than rules so yeah i would agree that foundations are necessary

Difficulty is completely relative to the person doing it.

D

dylangordhan

yes that's true but i'm not talking about difficulty i'm talking bout how easy a subject is to pick up. All the three main sciences are difficult in their own ways but i reckon with biology the foundation topics are easier to grasp. but that's cool you can delete this too

Tupac4life

At the end of the day, I found that my high school preparation up to year 13 Biology and Chemistry was definitely worthwhile. Physics for me personally wasn't too bad but required a bit of studying. At least I got through and did well with it despite not taking it to year 13 level.

Tupac4life

I'm curious qbob and please tell me if you are comfortable about answering this question but I just want to know what sort of degree did you do before applying for graduate entry into medical school at auckland?

yea I can definitely imagine a tough transition from a nonscience degree straight into med. It's just such a different learning style... I'm super glad that they held me back for a year to allow me to complete 4 of the first year biomed papers :\

Tupac4life

Ok Computer science perhaps? Anyway are there people who enter via graduate doing a degree in Arts? Or is it a very rare thing?

I did a BSc Honours degree but not in a "physical" science (i.e. not bio/chem etc.)

Ok Computer science perhaps? Anyway are there people who enter via graduate doing a degree in Arts? Or is it a very rare thing?

Yeah! There was a notoriously... uh 'loud' grad in second year med this year whom got in with a Music degree. From what I have heard they aren't that fussed. It'd probably help you out if you did a science as you could do similar papers to med to get an 'edge' once you finally get in.

4everAlone

Yeah! There was a notoriously... uh 'loud' grad in second year med this year whom got in with a Music degree. From what I have heard they aren't that fussed. It'd probably help you out if you did a science as you could do similar papers to med to get an 'edge' once you finally get in.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA about the 'loud' grad!

Also, my opinion is that 'edges' once your in 2nd year and onwards mean nothing. We only have to pass, and are no longer 'competing' against each other for anything. Everyone is one big team fighting the evil examiners! This may just be my laid back attitude, but I see no benefit in having an 'edge' over everyone else from previous degrees. Sure it may make one paper a little easier, but that's all really.

Last edited:

Mikej19

These valuable 'study skills' courses that you speak of, are they available at Auckland university for a students currently not studying there?

Would be interested in developing my study skills further as i believe i still haven't found an ideal way!

Would you recommend any certain study skill courses? or perhaps even hard copy resources in which i can observe

Many thanks!

Tupac4life

Um I think I've posed a similar point on another thread so would it matter too much if I chose to do a BSc Biomed and Hons if I got accepted or a BPharm degree both of which would take 4 years to complete?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA about the 'loud' grad!

Also, my opinion is that 'edges' once your in 2nd year and onwards mean nothing. We only have to pass, and are no longer 'competing' against each other for anything. Everyone is one big team fighting the evil examiners! This may just be my laid back attitude, but I see no benefit in having an 'edge' over everyone else from previous degrees. Sure it may make one paper a little easier, but that's all really.