Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA MBChB Entry - General Discussion and Questions

MMD

Hi guys not sure if this is the best place to post this question.

I have a conditional offer for medicine, and am just wrapping up the stage 1 core papers with exams this week and next. I need to get a B overall in the papers, which is thankfully alot more manageable!

My question is this; when you actually start medical school proper, is there some sort of GPA requirement to keep in order to 'pass' each component/year of the course? Do they still use letter grades at UoA? And is there some sort of expectation to try and get really good grades etc?

I'm just asking, as to be honest I'm not really down with the whole competitive vibe, and if I could just aim for a pass throughout medical school, that would be perfect for me! I have no inclination of trying to get high grades etc, as I've heard the workload is hectic as....

And how do med school grades factor in to any job offers, career prospects post medical school? Alot to think about haha....

Cheers all

Someone else will probably confirm this, but to put you at ease, my understanding is that there's some sorta bell curve system of all the grades for the year, and as long as you're not on the worst performing end of it, you'll keep getting through.

I dated a UofA grad doc a few years ago who won many awards for scoring at the top every year. When it came to hospital selection for her junior years, she basically got given all her preferences. She claimed that was due to her grades, but take that with a grain of salt.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Someone else will probably confirm this, but to put you at ease, my understanding is that there's some sorta bell curve system of all the grades for the year, and as long as you're not on the worst performing end of it, you'll keep getting through.

I dated a UofA grad doc a few years ago who won many awards for scoring at the top every year. When it came to hospital selection for her junior years, she basically got given all her preferences. She claimed that was due to her grades, but take that with a grain of salt.
UofA uses a bell curve for Med 😱 That’s so mean! My (Aus) uni has a minimum pass mark which is scaled and often around 56-57%, but as long as you’re above that at the end of the year (combined marks) you’re good to go, and theoretically everyone can pass every exam/assignment. This is made very clear to us at the start of year 1 in order to negate the notion of competitiveness.

MMD

UofA uses a bell curve for Med 😱 That’s so mean! My (Aus) uni has a minimum pass mark which is scaled and often around 56-57%, but as long as you’re above that at the end of the year (combined marks) you’re good to go, and theoretically everyone can pass every exam/assignment.

I'm incredibly against spreading misinformation so I really hope my second hand information from the ex girlfriend is correct!
But yep, my understanding is some sort of bell curve thing. But even then I've only heard of people being held back to re-do some parts, being kicked out of the program is rare.

drum99 if I really do end up getting in next year, we can study together and shit man, you'll be sweet.

drum99

UoA MBChB III
I'm incredibly against spreading misinformation so I really hope my second hand information from the ex girlfriend is correct!
But yep, my understanding is some sort of bell curve thing. But even then I've only heard of people being held back to re-do some parts, being kicked out of the program is rare.

drum99 if I really do end up getting in next year, we can study together and shit man, you'll be sweet.
Whoazers, bell curve system??! By crikey...... don't know how to feel about that haha......all I can say is I have no desire to try and get really high grades or anything. Of the doctor friends I've talked to, they're kinda like "oh yeah I only use 20% of what I learnt in med school" HA. Make of that what you will!

Yes maaaaannnnn let's study together ha!! God knows I'm gonna need some friends.....I'm sure the young ones are cool and all but.....ha

Last edited by a moderator:

MMD

Isn't the bell curve system I've just described basically the same as what LMG! has described? It sounds like the same thing, achieved differently *shrug*

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Isn't the bell curve system I've just described basically the same as what LMG! has described? It sounds like the same thing, achieved differently *shrug*
I'm not sure - if a pure bell system is used, I suppose that could cause some pretty aggressive competition LOL. Because essentially it's ranking the whole cohort against each other, and everyone is just trying not to be the lowest.....whereas if you have a minimum pass mark it's just a level playing field.....SHUCKS FML

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
My understanding of the bell curve is that all exam sitters are competing against each other and some percentage of the cohort will end up with a result that constitutes a fail (this is the system I was under for my first degree). That’s not the case for my Med degree. Everyone can pass everything.

Last edited:

drum99

UoA MBChB III
My understanding of the bell curve is that all exam sitters are competing against each other and some percentage of the cohort will end up with a result that constitutes a fail. That’s not the case at my uni. Everyone can pass everything.
Wow I struggle to believe that's how UoA would roll??! Cos I'm pretty sure they do use letter grades - which would imply you could get some sort of C and still pass an exam etc......

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Wow I struggle to believe that's how UoA would roll??! Cos I'm pretty sure they do use letter grades - which would imply you could get some sort of C and still pass an exam etc......
Our results are simply labelled as pass or fail rather than a specific grade. And I think quite a few Aus unis have moved towards that. Actually, the wording is satisfactory or unsatisfactory for individual assignments etc, and then something like ‘has met requirements’ vs ‘has not met requirements’ for the full, end of year result (Med is a single, full year unit at my uni, rather than multiple smaller units like many degrees. I’m not sure what UoA do on that front).

ETA: just checked and the uni I’m at uses the borderline regression method for OSCE marking (which seems to be pretty universally adopted from my very brief search), and the Hofstee method for written exams.

Last edited:

Bootleg

My question is this; when you actually start medical school proper, is there some sort of GPA requirement to keep in order to 'pass' each component/year of the course? Do they still use letter grades at UoA? And is there some sort of expectation to try and get really good grades etc?
The way medical school is structured is very different to ordinary papers at UoA.

Throughout the year you sit various types of assessments with various grading scales; some assessments are graded on a A+ - D- scale (the traditional scale), while some are graded on a distinction, pass, fail scale.

In order to progress to year 3, you must pass the year as a whole by achieving a pass in each module and component but this does not include progress tests. If you fail to obtain a pass grade in one or more modules then you will just do additional assessments over the summer (i.e. summer school kinda stuff) and if you fail that then you got to repeat year 2.

As for curving, I have no idea if UoA does that. I wouldn't imagine them doing it because its not necessary, unless there is some monetary scholarships awarded to the top students of each year then it might be necessary to curve the grades so that only x amount of people get it.

For anyone interested, I have also attached the class of 2020 guidebook that I got from my friend, which basically repeats what I said above but in more detail.

Attachments

• 2020 Year 2 Guidebook V1.0.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

MMD

The way medical school is structured is very different to ordinary papers at UoA.

Throughout the year you sit various types of assessments with various grading scales; some assessments are graded on a A+ - D- scale (the traditional scale), while some are graded on a distinction, pass, fail scale.

In order to progress to year 3, you must pass the year as a whole by achieving a pass in each module and component but this does not include progress tests. If you fail to obtain a pass grade in one or more modules then you will just do additional assessments over the summer (i.e. summer school kinda stuff) and if you fail that then you got to repeat year 2.

As for curving, I have no idea if UoA does that. I wouldn't imagine them doing it because its not necessary, unless there is some monetary scholarships awarded to the top students of each year then it might be necessary to curve the grades so that only x amount of people get it.

For anyone interested, I have also attached the class of 2020 guidebook that I got from my friend, which basically repeats what I said above but in more detail.

Great, thanks for posting!

I can confirm they do grading, they indeed do have multiple scholarships for many of the papers throughout the years for top achievers, etc.

Pump

when you actually start medical school proper, is there some sort of GPA requirement to keep in order to 'pass' each component/year of the course? Do they still use letter grades at UoA?
Medical school grading is a bit different. In pre-clinical year there are individual modules (e.g. respiratory system, cardio system, etc), that are letter graded (e.g. A+, A, A- etc.). As you progress through, there are other 'domains' that are either pass/fail, or pass/fail/distinction. This is more the professional / clinical skills perspective because it's more subjective and difficult to grade on an objective, discrete marking scheme.

Of course based on a combination of letter grades and pass/fail/distinctions, there is a minimum passing requirement for the year. If you don't meet this requirement, I believe your case is discussed by a panel/board who will decide if you either (a) need to repeat the year, or (b) pass but are 'tagged' for the next year.

And is there some sort of expectation to try and get really good grades etc?
There is no real expectations from the school. Once you get in, you're in and C's get degress. But most people I know are pretty motivated to study (and therefore get good grades) as the knowledge that you gain will directly translate to your job as a doctor in the very near future.

how do med school grades factor in to any job offers, career prospects post medical school?
Med school graduates from Otago and Auckland use the ACE system to be 'matched' to DHBs after graduation. I would say 96% of new graduates get a job by this system, but that is because most people fall into the first tier of the ACE system, which is "NZ students graduated from NZ medical schools". Australian-trained graduates and international students (regardless of whether you have trained in NZ or not) are TIer 2 and 3 respectively.

I think on the lower tiers your grades may matter more. Some DHBs will look at your medical school grades to decide who to employ, although I can't say to what degree they examine this. Outside of the main centres (e.g. the three Auckland metro DHBs, Wellington, Chch), job offers are competitive due to their limited spots on offer. Each DHB has their own criteria that they use (via the ACE system), one of which may be medical school grades.

govpop

It’s hard to flunk out of medical school.

Your grades have no bearing on your future job prospects.

yuun

Hey, I know that UCAT only takes 15% for MBChB entry but what is the minimum UCAT threshold? And do they count SJ for the UCAT scores?