Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA MBChB Entry - General Discussion and Questions

Nah ik a few grads (not hsfy) with GPA's below 8 with an interview offer
Graduates are part of different cohort so their GPA would not matter :) So this year, many of the students who are part first year general cohort would have gotten at least 8.25 core GPA, thats why even those with gpa of 8.0 did not receive any invitation on the 5th.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Graduates are part of different cohort so their GPA would not matter :) So this year, many of the students who are part first year general cohort would have gotten at least 8.25 core GPA, thats why even those with gpa of 8.0 did not receive any invitation on the 5th.

Oh okay I see ... Weird since last year both grads and first years with GPA's around 8.0 got a med offer

The RRAS grad GPA cutoff this year seems to have been higher than any previous cut off as well so I think people just had really high GPA’s.

UoA MBChB IV
Does anyone else know anyone who got an interview offer with a gpa of 8.0 or below assuming they got A+ for medsci because 8.0 cutt off is ridiculously crazy and doesn’t make sense even if the papers were easy this year.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Does anyone else know anyone who got an interview offer with a gpa of 8.0 or below assuming they got A+ for medsci because 8.0 cutt off is ridiculously crazy and doesn’t make sense even if the papers were easy this year.

I'm sure there are probably more people out there ... MSO makes up only a small percentage of applicants

lordgarlic

MSO Kiwi #1
Emeritus Staff
I know one person with a GPA of 8.0 from OLY1 who didn't get an interview..... Personally I think now it's too heavily weighted towards grades (I say this as someone who over a decade ago did well in OLY1 and is now a consultant). I just think that high grades mean so little once you get in and I have colleagues who got in with GPAs of 6.0 from 10+ years ago who are amazing doctors

UoA MBChB IV
I know one person with a GPA of 8.0 from OLY1 who didn't get an interview..... Personally I think now it's too heavily weighted towards grades (I say this as someone who over a decade ago did well in OLY1 and is now a consultant). I just think that high grades mean so little once you get in and I have colleagues who got in with GPAs of 6.0 from 10+ years ago who are amazing doctors
Is that person from this year?

UoA MBChB IV
I just think its really confusing because reading the 2017 general discussion and enquiry forum there is a person who said that their friend didn't get an interview offer with a gpa of 7.75. But if you look at the historical data it says that the cut off interview gpa was 7.25. so I'm guessing that there is another factor other than grades? would forgetting to finish the academic integrity course in the first semester be one factor as it technically does count as a subject as it shows up on transcript but you get no points out if it.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I just think its really confusing because reading the 2017 general discussion and enquiry forum there is a person who said that their friend didn't get an interview offer with a gpa of 7.75. But if you look at the historical data it says that the cut off interview gpa was 7.25. so I'm guessing that there is another factor other than grades? would forgetting to finish the academic integrity course in the first semester be one factor as it technically does count as a subject as it shows up on transcript but you get no points out if it.

Don’t forget what you’re looking at is self-reported data typed anonymously into an online forum. While we definitely feel that the vast majority of our data is pretty accurate, there are definitely outliers on occasion. Sometimes we’ve been able to clarify typos, miscommunications, and even (rarely) deliberate misinformation. For this reason, we tend to rely more on large scale trends than single scores where possible to inform our impressions.

ETA: data from people reporting second hand, as you’re referencing above, is always treated very cautiously.