MBChB Entry - General Discussion and Questions

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
Hi guys, just interested to see if anyone knows if UoA takes into account UCAT percentiles in the application or just the scores? Because obviously if they look at the scores and compare across candidates then they are comparing the UoA applicants, however if they also look the percentile then they also see how well the candidate did relative to all ANZ candidates. Just interested to know if they take this into account too - can't find much info around it!
I don’t know of a single (Aus) uni that uses percentiles, they all use raw scores. We here at MSO sometimes confuse matters by emphasising the importance of percentiles but that’s because it’s the only way we have of comparing data between years and providing at least semi-meaningful predictions.

I don’t know whether it’s the same for NZ Unis, but yeah, it’s raw scores in Aus.

drum99

I don’t know of a single (Aus) uni that uses percentiles, they all use raw scores. We here at MSO sometimes confuse matters by emphasising the importance of percentiles but that’s because it’s the only way we have of comparing data between years and providing at least semi-meaningful predictions.

I don’t know whether it’s the same for NZ Unis, but yeah, it’s raw scores in Aus.
Yes I'm pretty sure UoA uses raw scores to rank candidates. This would be a more meaningful way of ranking I would think, than ranking according to percentiles, although I don't think UoA uses the situational judgement part.

One thing I would say is if your GPA is good and you have a good MMI interview performance, you can afford to have a lower UCAT score. That was my situation anyway 🙂

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
Yes I'm pretty sure UoA uses raw scores to rank candidates. This would be a more meaningful way of ranking I would think, than ranking according to percentiles, although I don't think UoA uses the situational judgement part.

One thing I would say is if your GPA is good and you have a good MMI interview performance, you can afford to have a lower UCAT score. That was my situation anyway 🙂

In some ways, it’s largely irrelevant except in the (very rare, and perhaps non-existent now) case where cut-offs are predetermined. This was relevant when we used UMAT but only for a super minority of unis who had predetermined cut offs under which you could not be eligible (ie. JMP rural, and UTAS).

Otherwise, the uni is only ranking their own applicants. Whether that’s by raw score or percentile doesn’t matter too much (though raw score has smaller increments, I believe, making it more efficient for separating people with the same percentile).

Also, for UMAT, unis used to get raw scores to multiple decimal points, though candidates only got rounded numbers in their personalised results summaries. I have no idea if there are UCAT decimal points submitted to unis (or whether this is even necessary).

I think there was a post on this forum like a while ago that shows that for the UMAT they took an average raw score across I think the 3 sections. Then they calculated your rank score by taking your average raw score across the 3 sections- mean of the average score of every applicant then divided it by the standard deviation then multiplied this number by 0.15. They did a similar thing for interview but multipled it by 0.25 (worth 25%) and GPA multiplied it by 0.6 (worth 60%)

(Ranking formula attached. Credit to BuddingDoc)

Its just a fancy way I think of recalculating your percentile amongst all candidates who applied so they can rank you. It gives you something called a Z score. After adding up the Z score of all 3 components, if your Z score is negative, it means your ranked below the mean candidates and if it was above 0 it means you ranked above the mean for all the candidates who applied and a Z score of 0 means you were the average candidate across everyone who applied.

So according to this formula, your percentile according to the ACER website amongst all UMAT takers I think does not matter.

I am not sure if their method of ranking has changed for the UCAT, but I think that they might have kept a similar formula. It makes sense as I think it makes more sense to compare all candidates who applied to UoA opposed to factoring in those who are applying for Australian Uni's who tend to perform better in the UCAT.

Attachments

• Ranking Formulae.pdf
    65.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

UoA MBChB II
Hi guys, just interested to see if anyone knows if UoA takes into account UCAT percentiles in the application or just the scores? Because obviously if they look at the scores and compare across candidates then they are comparing the UoA applicants, however if they also look the percentile then they also see how well the candidate did relative to all ANZ candidates. Just interested to know if they take this into account too - can't find much info around it!
I think UOA only looks at the raw score

Pump

The website for the University says total scale UCAT ANZ score. i.e. raw score

Personally I think it makes more sense to use raw score from the University's perspective. I don't think they're too interested in comparing to all ANZ candidates because they just want a differentiating tool for THEIR students. Assuming test scores are normally distributed, I'm assuming there are some scores that have a high frequency e.g. 2500 +/- 10. All of those would be 50th percentile or whatever (depending how deep they differentiate scores) whereas 2499, 2501, 2502 does give greater room for UCAT to be a differentiating tool