Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA MBChB Entry - General Discussion and Questions

Hi,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. All of you on this website have filled me with anxiety for years.

OK, so this has been driving me crazy. When you filled out the application, was there a box to tick for UTAS anywhere? I half-remember looking for one but not seeing it. I think there was a box to tick the year before that, but now I'm doubting that memory as well. I *have* applied under UTAS this year as a student with disabilities, but I had to email the university to do so. I'm thinking I'll have a strong enough GPA/interview performance to get in under the general pathway, but I figure I may as well apply for this as well. Has anyone else applied under the disability category? It seems very unpopular for how broad the inclusion criteria is.

Also: for any other lurkers reading this in the future, pleaaaaase try to get appropriate paperwork and enroll with disability services if you haven't! I'm in the 2nd semester of my 4th year and I just had my first exam using a computer. On one hand, it was amazing and I was finally able to finish an exam.. on the other, I am so angry at myself for making things harder for myself for so long.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. All of you on this website have filled me with anxiety for years.

OK, so this has been driving me crazy. When you filled out the application, was there a box to tick for UTAS anywhere? I half-remember looking for one but not seeing it. I think there was a box to tick the year before that, but now I'm doubting that memory as well. I *have* applied under UTAS this year as a student with disabilities, but I had to email the university to do so. I'm thinking I'll have a strong enough GPA/interview performance to get in under the general pathway, but I figure I may as well apply for this as well. Has anyone else applied under the disability category? It seems very unpopular for how broad the inclusion criteria is.

Also: for any other lurkers reading this in the future, pleaaaaase try to get appropriate paperwork and enroll with disability services if you haven't! I'm in the 2nd semester of my 4th year and I just had my first exam using a computer. On one hand, it was amazing and I was finally able to finish an exam.. on the other, I am so angry at myself for making things harder for myself for so long.

We’ve had a couple of people here indicate they were applying via UTAS but only one ‘regular’ MSO user (though they’re no longer active) who spoke about the process in some detail. They weren’t successful, however.

hanzo22

Hi guys, I've got a couple questions.
I'm looking at the graduate requirements and I've heard that Auckland takes your GPA from the last two years of study, however, their website says it takes all three years of your degree?
Secondly, I got a UCAT percentile score of 34 percentile and currently have a GPA of 8.5 (for the last two years of study), so what are my chances of getting an interview considering my UCAT was quite low?
Also, do we know when interview offers are meant to be released?

Grape

Trainee Intern
I'm looking at the graduate requirements and I've heard that Auckland takes your GPA from the last two years of study, however, their website says it takes all three years of your degree?
Secondly, I got a UCAT percentile score of 34 percentile and currently have a GPA of 8.5 (for the last two years of study), so what are my chances of getting an interview considering my UCAT was quite low?

Hi
Auckland only looks at your GPA across the last three years to determine interview offers. Your UCAT is not considered. So if your GPA across the last three years is above 6.0 you have a chance to get an interview.

The GPA for the last two years is used to determine whether you gain an offer of a place into the course and counts to 60%.
I hope that cleared things up :)

I believe interview offers are released in early November.

Last edited:

Fili

Dentist 🦷
As far as I'm aware ...
They look at 3 years of degree to see if you managed to get the >6.0 gpa requirement to apply for MBCHB. If you are eligible, they will then look at the average of your last 2 years (best 120 points for each year). These are taken into account for MMI interview offers, UCAT doesn't matter for getting an interview offer, just the last 2 years' GPA.

Since your GPA is 8.5, you should definitely get an MMI interview offer which I believe get given out a few weeks before the actual MMI.

Just have a question about timetable for second year MBCHB. Are there lectures everyday? How many labs each week? What times would the lectures be? Thank you.

Is anyone still waiting on an interview invite?
I haven’t received one yet but my application status hasn’t changed to decline yet. Just wondering if they’ve all been sent out considering they start next week.

Is anyone still waiting on an interview invite?
I haven’t received one yet but my application status hasn’t changed to decline yet. Just wondering if they’ve all been sent out considering they start next week.
I think there will be two rounds of invitations. First round of invitations were sent out on 5th and I think second round would have been already sent out or be sent out by tomorrow.

Mdku22

MBChB III
Just have a question about timetable for second year MBCHB. Are there lectures everyday? How many labs each week? What times would the lectures be? Thank you.

It depends on the module/time of year. Typically, there are multiple lectures a day ~3 days a week, with the other days consisting of labs/tutorials of some sort.
Here's a screenshot of a pretty standard week from last month. It looks very busy, but many of the items listed are repeats as there are multiple groups/streams for some of the activities, so I've crossed out all but one for each of them.

Attachments

• mspaint_nXfLSXWtqw.png
    mspaint_nXfLSXWtqw.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 179

hanzo22

Hey guys,
I just got declined for otago med with a UCAT of 34 percentile. I have a GPA of 8.5 and I have my interview for auckland next week. Given I perform well in the interview, with a UCAT this low, is there still a decent chance to get in? Need a bit of hope after getting the bad news today :D

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hey guys,
I just got declined for otago med with a UCAT of 34 percentile. I have a GPA of 8.5 and I have my interview for auckland next week. Given I perform well in the interview, with a UCAT this low, is there still a decent chance to get in? Need a bit of hope after getting the bad news today :D

Yes I believe there is
That gpa is really high for a grad so yeah

cake

Lurker
Hi guys, I have a 7.5 gpa and still have received no news of an interview invite from Auckland for med. is anyone else still waiting for an invite?

UoA MBChB IV
Hi guys, I have a 7.5 gpa and still have received no news of an interview invite from Auckland for med. is anyone else still waiting for an invite?
Hey are you first year or grad? Did any of your freinds or anyone else get an interview with the same or lower gpa as you? I’m just curious cause my freind also didn’t receive an offer yet but his gpa is higher than previous year cut offs

UoA MBChB IV
Hey guys,
Ya 8.5 gpa for grad is a pretty good gpa and considering uoa only takes raw scores into account means that out of the 15% for ucat, you will only lose a small amount compared to a 90th percentile ucat candidate. So you can probs make up for that in your interview which would not be that hard if your good at interviews. Also a 90th percentile candidate may not as have high gpa as you do...that’s a bonus for you.

Last edited: