Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoA MBChB Entry - General Discussion and Questions

Bootleg

Ahhhh right!! Thank you so much for replying to my questions 😩
Don't give up applying. You can apply again this year and the year after that (for optometry only, not medicine). I reckon this year would be your year, since I still think the grade bump that Otago and Auckland students received resulted in higher cutoffs, however, this year COVID down has settled and there won't be any sort of grade bump being implemented, so everyone GPA should be a accurate reflection; not inflated.

Don't give up applying. You can apply again this year and the year after that (for optometry only, not medicine). I reckon this year would be your year, since I still think the grade bump that Otago and Auckland students received resulted in higher cutoffs, however, this year COVID down has settled and there won't be any sort of grade bump being implemented, so everyone GPA should be a accurate reflection; not inflated.
Ah thank you so much! I will be trying again, I really do hope so! If not, australia is always another option 😩

Hii Everyone! At of 12 pm today I was offered a place off the waitlist to Auckland Uni!! I am in extreme shock but very excited :)

I am struggling quite a bit to get through the enrolment process. Is anyone able to give me any tips or message me privately and talk me through some of it? Good luck to everyone else!!

Last edited:
Hii Everyone! At of 12 pm today I was offered a place off the waitlist to Auckland Uni!! I am in extreme shock but very excited :)

I am struggling quite a bit to get through the enrolment process. Is anyone able to give me any tips or message me privately and talk me through some of it? Good luck to everyone else!!
Congratulations!! That is amazing!! If you don’t mind me asking was this for med?

Congratulations!! That is amazing!! If you don’t mind me asking was this for med?
Congrats!
Which category did you get in from (FY/grad)?
Also before you got your offer did your application status ever change from waitlist to decline or has it always stayed as waitlisted?

Last edited:
Congrats!
Which category did you get in from (FY/grad)?
Also before you got your offer did your application status ever change from waitlist to decline or has it always stayed as waitlisted?
I applied under the graduate category and my status stayed as waitlisted. I received a call about my offer and only when I said I intended to accept it (over the phone) my status changed and I received an acceptance email. The lady indicated that there was 'a student who couldn't make up their mind and had to be given a firm deadline'. I have no idea what that means but yes!

Thank you x, Oh and yes it was for Medicine!

Hi all,
I'm just looking at optometry at deakin and I'm wondering how my GPA would be converted into WAM? I am aware that WAM is a percentage but Only the letter grade is shown on our transcript so for example, if I got a B+ with a percentage of 79% (as seen on canvas), will they convert it to 75% instead?

Siti

Hi guys, do you guys think I can apply to med after doing a graduate diploma in applied psychology? The new online course that the uni has to offer? The thing is tho, it is only available as a part-time course which will take 1.5 years.

Bootleg

Hi guys, do you guys think I can apply to med after doing a graduate diploma in applied psychology? The new online course that the uni has to offer? The thing is tho, it is only available as a part-time course which will take 1.5 years.
Sadly no.
To be eligible under UoA graduate entry scheme, you need to have completed or be completing a bachelor's degree, postgraduate degree (PhD or masters, or honors) or postgraduate diploma from a New Zealand university.
Simply put, a graduate diploma does not fall into either of those categories and therefore make you not eligible under the graduate pathway.

Even if it is a eligible degree, the timeframe for the degree is not in the minimum academic time. Normally, a graduate diploma takes 1 year of full time study to complete, taking 1.5 years would mean that you did not complete this in the minimum academic time.

Siti

Sadly no.
To be eligible under UoA graduate entry scheme, you need to have completed or be completing a bachelor's degree, postgraduate degree (PhD or masters, or honors) or postgraduate diploma from a New Zealand university.
Simply put, a graduate diploma does not fall into either of those categories and therefore make you not eligible under the graduate pathway.

Even if it is a eligible degree, the timeframe for the degree is not in the minimum academic time. Normally, a graduate diploma takes 1 year of full time study to complete, taking 1.5 years would mean that you did not complete this in the minimum academic time.
What about for optometry?

Bootleg

Hi all,
I'm just looking at optometry at deakin and I'm wondering how my GPA would be converted into WAM? I am aware that WAM is a percentage but Only the letter grade is shown on our transcript so for example, if I got a B+ with a percentage of 79% (as seen on canvas), will they convert it to 75% instead?
Have you looked at this? https://www.deakin.edu.au/students/studying/assessment-and-results/weighted-average-mark
What about for optometry?
It doesn't specifically say, but I would imagine it its similar policy. However, it does say that you must complete a 'degree' on a full time basis.

Moreover, you can still apply for optom using your graduate bachelor's (there is no restriction on the number of times you can apply). The only requirement is that you completed your bachelors on a full time basis.

Hi guys,

I just checked FYI stats for MBCHB Entry for 2021, and it seems to be very different from previous years.
20201 MBChB General Entry 2021 - a Official Information Act request to University of Auckland

I think perhaps the biggest difference was that there was only 54 general first year entry seats this year in our Med cohort opposed to the usual 100 or so. There was also 68 graduate general seats which is a considerable increase from only 29 last year, so perhaps this year they were compensating for the underrepresentation of graduate entry seats in previous cohorts? I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a trend or an anomaly. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts or has any keen students intending to apply to Med this year already emailed the faculty?

Hi there,
I haven’t seen an appropriate forum or thread for this question so I’m just going to ask it here.
I am a FY SWD studying Health Science at UOA and I would really like more insight on the process, what sort of GPA they are looking at etc. If you think you could help me please reply to this or PM me :)

Bootleg

Hi guys,

I just checked FYI stats for MBCHB Entry for 2021, and it seems to be very different from previous years.
20201 MBChB General Entry 2021 - a Official Information Act request to University of Auckland

I think perhaps the biggest difference was that there was only 54 general first year entry seats this year in our Med cohort opposed to the usual 100 or so. There was also 68 graduate general seats which is a considerable increase from only 29 last year, so perhaps this year they were compensating for the underrepresentation of graduate entry seats in previous cohorts? I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a trend or an anomaly. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts or has any keen students intending to apply to Med this year already emailed the faculty?
This is definitely a anomaly and won't be happening again (at least that's what I think). UoA long term policy has always been to accept more FY biomed or health science students over graduates, and you can see that over the years - 2017, 2018, and 2019 admission cycles all show a rough makeup of 75% FYs and 25% grads. The reason I suspect that UoA increased their graduate seats last year, was probably because of the very low CST scores. The average GPA (including GST) was significantly lower than what they expected (when compared with normal semesters), therefore, in order to maintain that original standard of GPA (in the 8 range) - they had to curl a lot of first years in favor of graduates as more grads had higher GPAs than FY biomed or health science candidates.

Last edited:

Bootleg

Hi there,
I haven’t seen an appropriate forum or thread for this question so I’m just going to ask it here.
I am a FY SWD studying Health Science at UOA and I would really like more insight on the process, what sort of GPA they are looking at etc. If you think you could help me please reply to this or PM me :)

You can have a look yourself: MBCHB Admissions Information SWD 2018-2021 - a Official Information Act request to University of Auckland

But basically every year there is 2 seats available. I would think that one of those is reserved for FY students and the other is reserved for grad students. Although from the link, the GPA cutoff for interview (for 2020) was 6.75, I wouldn't think that would be the GPA that will necessarily be enough for medicine, possibly higher - around 7.5-8.0 but that's just a pure guess.

I believe you need to contact fmhs ([email protected]) to determine your eligibility for SWD, and they should tell you the process in applying under UTAS (undergraduate targeted admission scheme).

I hope that helps!

Hi there,

Has anyone on here had experience with getting official grades released early (from your qualifying degree) in order to meet the 30th November deadline for MBChB entry? Or have most people who are currently studying used the estimate UoA apply for their in-progress papers?

Thanks in advance

Bootleg

Hi there,

Has anyone on here had experience with getting official grades released early (from your qualifying degree) in order to meet the 30th November deadline for MBChB entry? Or have most people who are currently studying used the estimate UoA apply for their in-progress papers?

Thanks in advance
Hi,

You don't need your official grades to be released by the 30th of November (per say). If you are still doing a degree when you apply, an interim grade (highest possible: A+) will be temporarily assigned to your S2 papers in determining your interview eligibility. But, your official grades/results will be used for final selection (when offers are made in mid December)

Hope that makes sense!

Hi,

You don't need your official grades to be released by the 30th of November (per say). If you are still doing a degree when you apply, an interim grade (highest possible: A+) will be temporarily assigned to your S2 papers in determining your interview eligibility. But, your official grades/results will be used for final selection (when offers are made in mid December)

Hope that makes sense!
Got it, thank you!

You can have a look yourself: MBCHB Admissions Information SWD 2018-2021 - a Official Information Act request to University of Auckland

But basically every year there is 2 seats available. I would think that one of those is reserved for FY students and the other is reserved for grad students. Although from the link, the GPA cutoff for interview (for 2020) was 6.75, I wouldn't think that would be the GPA that will necessarily be enough for medicine, possibly higher - around 7.5-8.0 but that's just a pure guess.

I believe you need to contact fmhs ([email protected]) to determine your eligibility for SWD, and they should tell you the process in applying under UTAS (undergraduate targeted admission scheme).

I hope that helps!
Thank you for your help!
I’m a little weary of going on FYI, seems like there’s a lot of conflicting information on there (one post said there was 4 available SWD seats for 2021? But not sure if that applies to last year’s cohort or this year’s).
If anyone knows of people have been successful applying for MBChB in first year under UTAS (particularly SWD) any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc, MBiomedSc
Hi guys, just interested to see if anyone knows if UoA takes into account UCAT percentiles in the application or just the scores? Because obviously if they look at the scores and compare across candidates then they are comparing the UoA applicants, however if they also look the percentile then they also see how well the candidate did relative to all ANZ candidates. Just interested to know if they take this into account too - can't find much info around it!