MD-JMP Outline

Discussion in 'Newcastle / Armidale (UNE)' started by LBoG, Oct 29, 2017.

1. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Kinda my point ;) UMAT isn't a great indicator (perhaps of anything, but that's a different topic altogether!).

2. Usher

Usher New Member

Would it matter if you went UNE instead UNCLE? Or are they basically the same and it doesn't matter where u grad from in med

3. biom

biom Regular Member Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox

UNE and UoN run the same program. All med degrees are said by the experts to be of equal status.

Good luck getting an offer. Don't be too concerned about where the offer might be or whether it is bonded/unbonded.

acbard9 likes this.
  4. Ri97

Ri97 serial tea drinker

can you speak more on this? PBL is something JMP goes on about as a strength? how did you make it work? why was it useless?

5. Ri97

Ri97 serial tea drinker

can you list a couple of pros and cons re simulated exposure as opposed to actual patients?

6. Perplex

Perplex Moderator Moderator

PBL is not exclusive to JMP, nor is it exclusive to undergraduate medical schools. Different schools call them different things, but the emphasis is contextualizing the week's learning in a clinical context (e.g. cases). However, JMP is the only uni I know of with "middle" PBLs so it is difficult for me to say anything about that.

I haven't started medicine yet, however I would imagine some pros would include learning how to manage some complex cases with pretty much no risk. Best to ask some people who have gone through their clinical years for that one!

7. Ri97

Ri97 serial tea drinker

(I sent this to LBoG personally but she is probs celebrating and hasn’t had the chance to reply, if anyone else can pls do!)

I've obviously been doing my research for two years now but I've never heard from someone in the JMP and I'd like to know what its like exactly!

How is the program made to be problem based exactly?
    How do you feel the joint program helps in being more connected and being able to access more (as opposed to a single university program) as is mentioned in the official prospectus? How comprehensive is it really?
    Is there early clinical experience and do you think is more beneficial having your clinical experience earlier and spread across the program's length?
    How exactly does the JMP address Indigenous health?
    What would you describe the student life to be like?

8. Confusion

Confusion New Member

One of the weaknesses of UoN's previous B.Med degree was its anatomy vs the excellent anatomy by dissection that UNE students received and thus their anatomy knowledge was FAR superior to the average UoN med student. They have removed the ability to do that course now (it was an elective that basically everyone did) so now UoN and UNE anatomy pretty much on par.

I'm a B. Med student and from what I see the MD course is definitely more rigorous - kind of feel bad for you guys and all the compulsory lectures but I'm sure it will pay off when you're 1st year anatomy knowledge is probably better than half of my cohort!

9. iStudent

iStudent New Member

- PBL "opens" where you go through a case e.g. you're the intern at X hospital and a woman presents with afternoon fever, shortness of breath and cough. You talk about what you would do (further history, examination, investigations to order, differential diagnoses etc.)
    ... followed by PBL "close" where you find out what the patient actually had, stuff they discovered on history/exam/investigations and treatments administered. This happens after you spend the week studying the case and the medsci behind it.

- I suppose you get access to 2 sets of lecture note and basically be a student at both universities (hence access to both library's resources). Also, you get to know people from another uni's cohort so that's nice I suppose.

- By early clinical experience, in Y1 essentially means you follow the doctor taking a few patient histories (or take one yourself). I suppose it helps give you a taste of what is to come but really when I was in 1st year I feel like I'd be as clueless of what is happening regardless :p There's not that much clinical experience anyway - for BMED at least the bulk of it starts in Y3 (which I found to be VERY helpful)

- In BMED, you do a couple of Indigenous health assignments (including one where you interview an Indigenous patient in a GP setting) + a few compulsory lectures.

- I got a good balance ;)

Ri97 likes this.
  10. Syntax

Syntax BMedSci/MD-JMP II UoN

Is there any chance you could expand on how you "found a way to make it worthwhile"? I.e was there a particular way you would approach the session, prepare in a specific way, do things differently so on so forth? Cheers!

11. Nausheen

Nausheen Stevia

Hello
    The JMP is conducted by both UNE and UON so how does it differ if a person gets an offer from Newcastle as compared to the one from Armidale (UNE)? Does it mean that the major part of their 5 yr course(3-4 yrs)is spent in that particular University where they get the offer from and then may be 1-2 yrs in the other University and vise versa? Please enlighten me,thanks.

Smelly Boy likes this.
  12. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

https://www.newcastle.edu.au/__data.../354339/JMP-Prospectus_2019_FINAL_low-res.pdf You spend your first two pre-clinical years at whatever university you’re allocated to, and then your final three clinical years in whatever clinical school you’re allocated to.

I’m not a JMP student but it doesn’t look like you’ll do any learning at the Newcastle campus if you’re an Armidale student (and vice versa) but depending on how clinical school allocations you work, you may end up mixing with students from the other campus in your clinical years.

iStudent might be able to give you more details when they come on next.

Smelly Boy and Nausheen like this.
  13. Nausheen

Nausheen Stevia

Thanks for the reply,
    I would be glad if a JMP student could let me know please according to your suggestion for 'istudent'.

14. iStudent

iStudent New Member

Above is correct. The education you receive is essentially identical - lectures shared between campuses (some video linked from newcastle, some from armidale). Same exams held at the same time. If you study in armidale you get ID cards from both unis :)

In your clinical years, you get allocated to a clinical school - gosford newcastle armidale taree tamworth where you spend most of your time in their respective hospitals.

The main difference is location and cohort size. Newcastle has around 120 students, international students inc. Armidale has around 60.

Feel free to lmk if you have any other questions - albeit accuracy might be slightly limited because I study in the previous BMED.

Nausheen, Smelly Boy and Crow like this.
  15. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Fourth time’s the charm

Hey istudent I had a few question about the clinical schools. Do u get to preference a school u wish to attend or is it just randomly selected? If u can preference, are spots given based on academic scores? If there’s no preferencing then is it like Newcastle students get the clinical schools closer to Newcastle?

Cheers : ))

16. iStudent

iStudent New Member

Yea preferencing. Ties are determined by somewhat of a lottery system- location and and academics have no play. Although international students are restricted to urban sites

Smelly Boy likes this.
  17. Smelly Boy

Smelly Boy Fourth time’s the charm

Got any idea for which schools are favourites? Gosford lookin delicious to me

live1234 likes this.
  18. iStudent

iStudent New Member

Rural offers better teaching because less people. Differs by year but generally gosford not extremely demanded nor neglected? Not too hard to get at least 1 year in gosford

Smelly Boy likes this.
  19. Vvv

Vvv New Member

I didn't really know where to post this question, so I guess I'm doing it here! What date does semester 2 commence for 2019 at newcastle. I booked a trip a while back and I'll be coming back home on the 3rd of August, so I might miss the first week. Is it essential to attend the first week of sem 2? Thanks!!

20. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

Key dates Semester 2 commences Monday the 22nd July.