Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

MD vs MBBS

Hi all.

Just wondering, what's the difference between a course such as Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Medicine at USyd vs Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery at Adelaide? I'm not talking about the different Universities styles of teaching but rather the difference between obtaining an 'MD' from USyd vs 'MBBS' at Adelaide.

Tl;dr. What's the difference between MD and MBBS?

chinaski

Zero in a practical sense. Both are professionally viewed equally after graduation, and qualify you equally for exactly the same job.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
IIRC The government banned domestic full fee places at an undergraduate level but not at a postgraduate/masters level (which is MD). This allows MD schools such as USyd/UMelb to offer Full Fee Places alongside their Commonwealth Supported Places. This is the only """technical""" difference but only really matters from the universities perspective. Realistically this was a primary reason for FFP uni's like UniMelb to introduce the MD and a bit of a nomenclature war has started since then

Last edited:

chinaski

^^ Absolutely, yes. To clarify for the OP, my "nope" was in a clinical context: there is no difference technically or practically between one course name and the other from the perspective of employers. TL,DR; one is not better than the other, so don't stress.

S

Sokka

To give an overview of the different admission types

Group 1 - Schools with graduate entry into their MD courses: UWol, Deakin, ANU, Notre Dame Sydney/Fremantle, MQ.

Group 2 - Graduate entry but pre-offer a portion of MD places to school leavers, called provisional: USyd, UMelb, UQ, Griffith, Flinders, UWA.

Group 3 - Undergrad schools with MD degrees but sequential after a BMed (i.e. direct entry to BMed, no direct entry to MD like the graduate schools): UNSW, JMP, WSU, Monash, Bond.

Group 4 - Undergrad schools with MBBS bachelor degrees: JCU, Adelaide, UTas, Curtin.

In round numbers there are about 3,000 CSP/BMP places a year comprised of 1500 graduate entry, 500 provisional offers to school leavers, 1000 groups 3&4. And before anyone asks, MBBS is a better degree since they teach you med over 5-6 years vs the rushed 4-year MD ;)

When looking for a job is it harder to do so with an MD vs an MBBS? Or is MBBS "better" because its a bit more manageable?

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
When looking for a job is it harder to do so with an MD vs an MBBS? Or is MBBS "better" because its a bit more manageable?
No difference qualification-wise, difficulty will probably depend on other things. Also, the number of MBBS degrees is gradually thinning over the years, with the "x science/studies + MD" format taking its place. Adelaide was just about to transition from MBBS to Bachelor of Clinical Studies + MD for 2021 entry, but they've pushed it back until at least 2022, my guess is because of COVID.

chinaski

Worth pointing out that the graduate entry 4-year MDs were formerly 4-year MBBS courses. The length and "compression" of the courses are not a reflection of or dependent on the degree title.

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Also is MD and MBBS equivalent? After completion of both, you become a doctor right ? Rom heat I know MD has a research component and MBBS doesn't? Please correct me if I am wrong. Is post-grad medicine is it more worthy/valuable than MBBS ? I am really considering everything and it is killing my brain.... Sad life

Yes, here in Australia the qualifications both = the same thing. There are some implications for if you wish to practice in the US, I believe (where MD is preferred I think - though have not looked at specifically, I must admit).

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
(where MD is preferred I think - though have not looked at specifically, I must admit).

I think i remember reading somewhere the MD and MBBS are equivalent but MD and DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) are not (IIRC it was in the context of UQ-Oschner as they used to run a grad entry MBBS)

Looking here it says:
Graduates of international medical schools (IMGs) may present the equivalent of the MD degree (e.g., MBBS)

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
I think i remember reading somewhere the MD and MBBS are equivalent but MD and DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) are not (IIRC it was in the context of UQ-Oschner as they used to run a grad entry MBBS)

Looking here it says:
DO and MD are definitely not. The are generally regarded as the same for the purpose of the MATCH and selection, but the content that they teach does vary a bit, DO being more focused on things that would be useful for family medicine (gp for those in the states)

WilliamR

JCU MBBS I
Might be a dumb question but does MBBS vs MD factor into choosing between uni's or actually matter when wanting to work overseas (UK, USA)??

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
If you read the exact thread you posted on, you can see that not only it doesn’t matter in Australia, it also doesn’t matter overseas.

Whilbur

Hi, was reading through the posts in the forum regarding Higher Degrees, and was wondering if there are differences in MBBS and MD qualification when pursuing specialties? As MD requires some research component (correct me if I'm wrong), does this advantage MD graduates when applying for specialty programs following residency?

chinaski

Hi, was reading through the posts in the forum regarding Higher Degrees, and was wondering if there are differences in MBBS and MD qualification when pursuing specialties? As MD requires some research component (correct me if I'm wrong), does this advantage MD graduates when applying for specialty programs following residency?
Absolutely not. Professionally nobody regards the MD as a true higher degree, despite the fact the universities classify it as such. An MD and a MBBS (etc) are regarded as the same thing on paper when it comes to applications for specialty training.

Whilbur

Absolutely not. Professionally nobody regards the MD as a true higher degree, despite the fact the universities classify it as such. An MD and a MBBS (etc) are regarded as the same thing on paper when it comes to applications for specialty training.
Ah ok, thank you for the response. In that case, does much of the research come after graduating med school? Also, does much of your success getting into certain specialties rely on your performance during residency?