Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Med and Dent - 2019 Entry (Offers)

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
That sucks :/

I wish they'd give feedback about the interview as well.

Yeah, same here. I spoke to someone in Admissions the other day and she basically said that they don't so we don't focus on the wrong stuff. Doubt that's the true reason tbh

It's in the interests of the medical admissions team to keep secret the views/values/characteristics/traits that they look for in an applicant. Such things can easily be faked and this adds an extra layer of difficulty in that interviewers would have to try and guess at whether an applicant genuinely has x trait or whether they are simply putting it on for the interview.
By not providing feedback they can better protect what they look for in an applicant and in turn ensure that they select authentic applicants in future admissions.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Yeah because I was just wondering why neither uni are having top up offers if people are rejecting their offers.

How do you know that no additional offers have been made? Is this information direct from the University itself?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone here has or anyone knows someone who has received an offer to JMP med that wasn't from the main round?:)

Please assume offers will be posted here if and when information comes to hand. To date, we have had nil reports with the exception of drpkjr who confirmed with JMP that interstate offers would not be made until 07/02/19.

Skrap

Offers received in first round but just waited until now to post

Course Type:
Med
Offer Received: Yes
University: UNSW(first round, last preference to jmp and wsu as I thought I had no hope of getting in with my scores), WSU (second round uac), Curtin (second round tisc). No offer from JMP
UMAT: 80
%ile rank
ATAR or GPA: 6.0 GPA
Special Considerations:
Rural
Offer Type: BMP for UNSW/WSU, CSP curtin
Other Information: Rejected UNSW and WSU for Curtin so hopefully some people should be receiving top up offers soon. Nursing student with plenty of life experience. Just goes to show how important the interview is.

Not sure who needs to hear this but thought i'd post here to help anyone still waiting for offers/didn't receive an offer this year. DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS GUYS. Two years ago I applied for med and did not get in. I started a nursing degree, and the experience I gained from this was invaluable, including working in the hospital environment, collaborating with doctors (most of whom if they know you are interested in going on to med will ask if you want to "come see something cool" or "help us with this patient" while also on your nursing shift) and getting a headstart into the skills required for phenomal bedside manner (putting in a urethral catheter really makes you learn fast how to communicate with patients to make them feel comfortable at all times). I was going to wait until I had graduated nursing to go on to become a doctor, but thought i'd just sit the umat during the year and see where it went, totally not expecting any interviews from it, let alone at least 1 offer. Two years ago, I had NO offers for med, and now I have 3. Do not give up on your dreams guys, work on doing something you love in the meantime (I loved nursing, I started a new sport and did things I would have not done had I got in straight away), and believe that everything happens for a reason.

How do you know that no additional offers have been made? Is this information direct from the University itself?
From calling up Griffith university they mentioned they were not able to have a second round offer and haven't been able to have any top up offers. If people are rejecting these offers shouldn't the university be trying to fill the quota?

A1

Rookie Doc
From calling up Griffith university they mentioned they were not able to have a second round offer and haven't been able to have any top up offers. If people are rejecting these offers shouldn't the university be trying to fill the quota?

They could have over-offered and the amount of declines so far has not exceeded their anticipation.

Jaffa5

Hey Guys,
I was just curious if anyone has rejected griffith of usc or intending to reject as i am quite close to the cutoff. thanks

I spoke to USC in particular and they said that all spots were filled and they were not planning on making any other offers. They also said that they have no method of differentiating applicants with the same ATAR and therefore all or none will receive an offer. Based on this information, if your ATAR is below their threshold, a number of positions (I'm guessing around 10) would need to be declined in order to have a chance.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
They also said that they have no method of differentiating applicants with the same ATAR and therefore all or none will receive an offer.
Exactly as I had suspected. Thanks very much for sharing this with us.

A1

Rookie Doc
Exactly as I had suspected. Thanks very much for sharing this with us.

I belong to the opposite camp. I tend to think that person just gave a convenient Admissions answer that would be harmless if wrong.

Let me ask again, what if they have 16 declined available spots and there are 30 applicants waiting on the next ATAR down - would they not offer these 16 out at all or over offer by 14 to all 30 applicants?

Just wait 2-3 more weeks to start of semester there may be a few last-minute Nathan offers to a few local 99.65s. It has happened in previous years, thus the rumours that QTAC cutoff for Griffith is lower than UAC's.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I don’t think it’s out of the question, but I’ll believe it when I see it. I think it’s more likely people are confusing GC and Nathan cutoffs with QTAC vs UAC.

Jaffa5

I tend to think that person just gave a convenient Admissions answer that would be harmless if wrong.

This is probably true. I can't see why they would willingly leave places vacant when they could have more fee-paying students.

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker
They could have over-offered and the amount of declines so far has not exceeded their anticipation.
They seems to have over offered by 7 this year. So unless there are more than 7 declines, they will not offer any more. Having said that, as you said, wait till late Feb. There may be late round offers based on who answers the phone when Griffith admissions calls!

Medtastic

Course Type: Med
University: JMP (Newcastle)
UMAT: 90th%ile (58/62/60)

ATAR or GPA: 99.35
Special Considerations:
EAS
Offer Type: not sure
Other Information: I'm very confused how this is posssible, as I thought someone called the university and they said that they were only doing top up offers for New England for people that interviewed in November/December (I'm from Queensland). I also bombed out in the interview???

Whynot101

WSU MD I
University: JMP
UMAT: 96th 191 (67/65/60)

ATAR or GPA: 7.0
Special Considerations:
interstate
Offer Type: BMP
Other Information: Rejected as received unbonded from WSU first round

I have to back up what skrap said earlier. Don't give up on your dreams English is my second language and I moved to oz after school with not much English at all and terrible year 12 scores so I always thought I'd "missed the boat" and even if I did try that having a non Anglo accent would prevent me from ever doing well in S1 and S2 or in the interviews and yet here I am 2 offers out of 3 ( did not get a UTAS offer yet). I am so incredibly grateful that 52 weeks ago I quit my continuous job moved interstate and started studying fulltime and sat the UMAT for the first time, don't give up if you're planning to try again and if you haven't tried yet then just take a chance

n333k

University: JMP UNE
UMAT: 81st 171 (58/62/51)

ATAR or GPA: 6.25
Special Considerations:
Interstate
Offer Type: CSP
Other Information: I’M SO EXCITED!

Slimy

University: JMP UNE
UMAT: 81st 171 (58/62/51)
ATAR or GPA: 6.25
Special Considerations:
Interstate
Offer Type: CSP
Other Information: I’M SO EXCITED!

Congrats nkkk....may i ask what time you got the email (or call) ?