Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Med/Dent Interview Preparation

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
For the "what if you don't get into med this year" question at an interview, I would honestly go to UQ if I can't get into med elsewhere, unless I somehow totally bomb out and don't scrape a 95 (99 with bonus points) needed at UQ. Is it even wise to mention UQ specifically (not even in my home state)?

Or are the interviewers looking for what I'd do if I don't get into UQ?

I believe I answered this above, but to make this clearer - if they ask what you would do if you didn't get into medicine, if you couldn't start your answer with 'If I didn't get into medicine I would' then it doesn't answer the question. For example, 'If I didn't get into medicine I would do medicine at UQ' makes zero sense as an answer.

As stated above, you are allowed to be honest and say you have an offer elsewhere, but I'd also want to see your thought process as to if medicine fell through, where are your interests, motivations, and career interests?

Mana

Administrator
I'm currently doing a B Psych (w Hons), with a second major in anatomy & histology (chosen because I find the body so incredible).
I was always conflicted between pursuing med or psych, so it is genuinely my backup, but it requires post grad study for the career I would want. So would I mention this? It does lead to specific post grad study which leads to a specific career.
And should I leave out my second major?

As being a professional psychologist is at least as competitive to gain entry as to medicine (just ask LMG! who is actually a clinical psychologist!) you will need to have some idea of your career trajectory if both fall through (which is the most likely outcome for someone in your position).

This means that you will have to have a well thought out backup plan for if you don't get into med or psychology (which you should have anyway in your position). Nothing is a certainty, of course, but as the chances for either are pretty low (stating this as general and not reflective of you personally), whats the most likely outcome for you career wise?

karenh

I believe I answered this above, but to make this clearer - if they ask what you would do if you didn't get into medicine, if you couldn't start your answer with 'If I didn't get into medicine I would' then it doesn't answer the question. For example, 'If I didn't get into medicine I would do medicine at UQ' makes zero sense as an answer.

As stated above, you are allowed to be honest and say you have an offer elsewhere, but I'd also want to see your thought process as to if medicine fell through, where are your interests, motivations, and career interests?

Got it, sorry for making you repeat yourself Mana (especially since you're on holiday)! I incorrectly interpreted the question as "what if you don't get into medicine at this uni?".

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
Hi there, similarly to the above question in relation to having a dentistry and medicine application at the same university, how would you approach scenarios where the Med interviewer asks ‘so why is it that you have chosen medicine as your preferred career choice?’, yet then in your interview with dentistry afterwards at the same university, the dentistry interviewer may ask ‘why is it that you’re so passionate to do dentistry as a career?’ Or something along those lines. Personally, Medicine is my number one goal and passion, and dent would be my fall back. I do not want them to know this when interviewing as they will rule me out immediately, but I do not want to lie and be dishonest with my responses. Any further elaborations would be appreciated, thank you :)
"I do not want them to know this"..... what about turning it around and telling them! "I have applied for Dentistry and Medicine and honestly would be really happy to get either. If I had a choice of both then medicine would be my preference" for the dentistry interview you coudl always drop both; maybe drop it for both?

If you use the phrase "Medicine is my number one goal and passion" you might like to give some thought to explaining what passion means.

A person on MSO explained to me that he had lived in a refugee camp and seen children dying of avoidable diseases because there was no medical care available. His passion is to do something that gives back to the community and helps people in difficult situations like that. He would like it to be medicine but if it is not, then it will be advocacy or.... This explained very clearly to me what his passion was..

biom

Supreme Overlord of the Chatbox
I'm currently doing a B Psych (w Hons), with a second major in anatomy & histology (chosen because I find the body so incredible).
I was always conflicted between pursuing med or psych, so it is genuinely my backup, but it requires post grad study for the career I would want. So would I mention this? It does lead to specific post grad study which leads to a specific career.
And should I leave out my second major?
What about "I'm currently doing a B Psych (w Hons), with a second major in anatomy & histology (chosen because I find the body so incredible).
I was always conflicted between interested in pursuing med or psych. Psych is , so it is genuinely my backup but it requires post grad study for the career I would want. So would I mention this? It does lead to specific post grad study which and leads to a specific career."

I have been looking on the internet for MMI feedback, and a common complaint I find is being overly rehearsed. I'm not sure how this can be since MMIs give scenarios we've never seen. Does this mean the structure of the answer seems formulaic? If this is so, how can I answer with logical progression and coherence, without seeming formulaic?

Mana

Administrator
I have been looking on the internet for MMI feedback, and a common complaint I find is being overly rehearsed. I'm not sure how this can be since MMIs give scenarios we've never seen. Does this mean the structure of the answer seems formulaic? If this is so, how can I answer with logical progression and coherence, without seeming formulaic?

By thinking on the spot (including thinking aloud!) rather than coming in ready to regurgitate something you memorised word for word. I don't care as much about being rehearsed if it means you answer the question, but if you give a prememorised answer that doesn't address the criteria on which you are marked, don't expect to do well just because you said everything you wanted to.

If you have a few minutes reading time before the station, plan out the things you want to say then.

Does anyone have any experience with interview training courses such as Medentry etc.?

Also, what are the main tips for MMI format interviews and why are they generally considered harder than a normal interview.

For MMIs, I know that you are given an initial prompt on the door before entering the room. I wanted to know what is the recommended time to talk on this prompt before being given follow-up questions.

Q3

I'm normally never like this no matter what, but it just hit me that it's a week away.

Grape

Trainee Intern
YES! I STILL have assignments to submit this week and an exam tomorrow! I'm worried I won't have enough time to prep for the interview. Trying to keep calm haha

Q3

Can somebody reassure me to not over analyse every single piece of item of clothing and accessory that I will be wearing?

A1

Rookie Doc
Can somebody reassure me to not over analyse every single piece of item of clothing and accessory that I will be wearing?

This post should help > What to wear to a medical school interview?
"The best kind of clothing for an interview will not distinguish you from the crowd". Though it says tie is not necessary I think for males it wouldn't be out of place so do wear one.

Other posts in that thread are useful too.

maniacfish

hmm i guess i should probs ask this on the thread A1 just linked^ but it seems pretty stagnant. I have a beard that I've been growing for quite some time now (2-3months). Its generally well kept and clean looking but im worried it might be the cause of some unwanted bias, since med is supposed to be a conservative field and clean shaven is the status quo. Also if i do shave it im worried about nasty beard tan lol and i only have a week till UWS so idk what to do. thoughts/opinions?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
hmm i guess i should probs ask this on the thread A1 just linked^ but it seems pretty stagnant. I have a beard that I've been growing for quite some time now (2-3months). Its generally well kept and clean looking but im worried it might be the cause of some unwanted bias, since med is supposed to be a conservative field and clean shaven is the status quo. Also if i do shave it im worried about nasty beard tan lol and i only have a week till UWS so idk what to do. thoughts/opinions?

I think neatly trimmed beards are totally acceptable, but I am a fellow interviewee and have no actual experience so, ya know... grain of salt and all that.

Probably would not do this: . Just sayin'.

ETA: it might be worth checking the corresponding thread at Paging Dr if you have an account. Given their MMIs were a couple of months ago, this discussion has been and gone, so all the info is there to make use of.

Last edited:

Mana

Administrator

As an interviewer I guarantee that your clothing is NOT a selection criterion (but you should at least wear some clothes).

Wear what makes you feel comfortable to present yourself.

maniacfish

I think neatly trimmed beards are totally acceptable, but I am a fellow interviewee and have no actual experience so, ya know... grain of salt and all that.

Probably would not do this: . Just sayin'.

ETA: it might be worth checking the corresponding thread at Paging Dr if you have an account. Given their MMIs were a couple of months ago, this discussion has been and gone, so all the info is there to make use of.
damn...what do i do with all this glitter now? thanks for the advice and also i had no idea about pagingdr so thanks for that too!