Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JPM WSU/CSU JPM: Medical Admission Questions for Interview

bizwest76

Would it be unwise to say I identify with my school community (which I travel out of GWS and into the eastern suburbs to get to)? Otherwise, can't say theres a community I've really been part of.

slowthai

Would it be unwise to say I identify with my school community (which I travel out of GWS and into the eastern suburbs to get to)? Otherwise, can't say theres a community I've really been part of.

Given that the interview invite email dictates, 'Wear attire that does not identify which school (or educational institution) you have attended,' I would be wary about talking about your school.

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
As long as you don’t actually mention the name of the school I don’t see why there should be any issues.

Why Not?

For WSU MAQ question 2, "Explain ways in which you connect with the community you described in Statement 1", are we thinking 'Connect' is referring to physical connect in terms of volunteering or sport etc, or more metaphorically i.e. sharing similar views?
This is for a rural community.
Cheers

threefivetwo

less gooo
For WSU MAQ question 2, "Explain ways in which you connect with the community you described in Statement 1", are we thinking 'Connect' is referring to physical connect in terms of volunteering or sport etc, or more metaphorically i.e. sharing similar views?
This is for a rural community.
Cheers

9CD8B946-DE43-44F8-BC08-8109074AD272.jpeg

Connection can be defined in several ways: understanding your community, engaging with, etc etc. I think both ways help emphasise commitment to community :)

chinaski

Would they look upon me unfavourably if i write that im part of the goth community..... serious question

I would wager you'd need to give them a Goth 101 for Beginners essay so they understood what that actually means (it's not a subculture of which many people have much more than a superficial understanding). Otherwise they're just going to think you're someone who likes black clothes and listening to Bauhaus. I would be cautious (then again, I would be cautious about this whole exercise - everyone is at potential disadvantage!).

A1

Rookie Doc
Copy/pasted in entirety

Dear Western Sydney Medicine Applicant,
Please complete the form below and provide TWO statements to show your commitment to community. Each statement is limited to 700 characters.

Your statements will be used to inform the interview questions. Responses must be received before 4pm, 6th November. If no statements are submitted, there will be less interview time to demonstrate your strengths.

STATEMENT 1:
Describe the community that you identify with.

Note:
(1) Communities may be described in many ways; by their history, geography, the social and/or personal characteristics of the group and its members. Characteristics may include location, economic status, employment, education, ethnicity, religion, place of birth, age, gender or sexual orientation. Please use language that best describes your community. Include ONLY those characteristics that are relevant to your community

(2) Rural Entry Admission Scheme Applicants: if you applied under the Rural Entry Admission Scheme (REAS) you MUST describe your rural community.

STATEMENT 2:
Explain ways in which you connect with the community you described in Statement 1.

The Dean of WSU Med School has kindly provided MSO with this response:

===================
Thank you for taking the time to write to the University and the Vice Chancellor regarding your concerns about the new Medical Admissions Questionnaire being used this year, as a component to facilitate elements of the interview process.

In 2019, this is being run as a pilot and with a comprehensive evaluation process to assess its efficacy as a tool within a selection process. This is particularly informed by the focus on community connection across rural origin students as Western Sydney University prepares to commence a Joint Program in Medicine with Charles Sturt University as part of the Commonwealth Government’s initiatives to bolster current and future rural medical workforce. It has been developed by academics across multiple universities from medical education and psychology backgrounds, and informed by community advice.

We accept that communicating the intent of any admission criteria to medicine is a critical step in any change, and that this element was not flagged ahead of the issuing of interview offers and that this has caused confusion to applicants. We will ensure that this is particularly factored into planning in 2020.

In particular, let me reassure you that the additional notes were designed to provide some assistive prompts for applicants; and to be inclusive and support diversity, in line with the philosophy of the University and its medical school.

Participants in the interview process will be invited to actively engage in the evaluation of this tool as part of the overall evaluation of the admissions process. This evaluation process is not linked to the process of determining which applicants will receive the offer of a place at Western Sydney University.

We appreciate your interest in the admissions process into Western Sydney University’s Doctor of Medicine program.

Professor Annemarie Hennessy
Dean, School of Medicine

=============================

The underlined part (underlined/bolded by me) appears to refer to the voluntary survey after the interview. I don't think anyone has a problem with this, but don't misinterpret it as the questionnaire is not linked to the selection determination.

The bolded part is harder to understand. The questionnaire is designed to provide assistive prompts for applicants, but will its context materially matter to selection?

Unfortunately the response does not address the question why subjects like ethnicity, religion, place of birth, age, gender or sexual orientation.... are brought in. I am alarmed that if it is "to be inclusive and support diversity" does that mean WSU will scale your interview marks accordingly to achieve diversity of Whites, Asians, Africans, Catholics, Buddhists, straight, LGBTQ.... in the selected cohort?

chinaski

Agree with your concerns. Simply saying you're working on a vague-sounding pilot with a lot of other official-sounding agencies doesn't lend confidence that applicants won't be discriminated against. I mean, if I were applying for a job and was asked to nominate and discuss highly personal, potentially divisive details pertaining to my gender, race, religion or social background, it would be no less illegal of them to ask me to do so, even if it was an idea developed by academics with good intentions. It seems deliberately obtuse of them to not acknowledge those concerns.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Did we end up getting any further information regarding the use of this questionnaire for 2020 entry? If there is anyone doing a JPM application, can you confirm that the MAQ is again a requirement?

hello!
i was just wondering for wsu/csu MAQ,
do They mark us only on the qs they would ask during the interview relating to the maq , & not the maq qs we would fill out when interview invites do come out?

weebuforreal

stats noob and a definite weaboo
hello!
i was just wondering for wsu/csu MAQ,
do They mark us only on the qs they would ask during the interview relating to the maq , & not the maq qs we would fill out when interview invites do come out?

That's correct! However, they do base their questions in one of the stations on your answers to those MAQs (if it still works the same as last year).

PM1

Sorry if I've missed this elsewhere (I'm sure I have). I am just confirming, albeit too late to do anything about it, this year's application for WSU is just putting it in as a UAC preference and specifying the preferred study location?

Does anyone know whether the Medical Admission Questionnaire (the "two brief personal statements") must be submitted in tandem with the interview? Or can the booking and the MAQ be submitted independently from one another between the 4th and 6th of November?

Sorry if I've missed this elsewhere (I'm sure I have). I am just confirming, albeit too late to do anything about it, this year's application for WSU is just putting it in as a UAC preference and specifying the preferred study location?
Yes, that's what I did and I received an interview invite so it should be fine.

esselle

Hi there! Is it likely that they'll ask the same 'community' question this year? Should I be thinking of an answer to that question, or just wait and see?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi there! Is it likely that they'll ask the same 'community' question this year? Should I be thinking of an answer to that question, or just wait and see?

Unless there's a JPM interviewer here at MSO prepared to give you an accurate answer, any response saying yes or no to this would be an absolute guess. That said, I don't think 'wait and see' is a good approach to many (especially competitive) things when you have the benefit of some prior experience, so...

esselle

Unless there's a JPM interviewer here at MSO prepared to give you an accurate answer, any response saying yes or no to this would be an absolute guess. That said, I don't think 'wait and see' is a good approach to many (especially competitive) things when you have the benefit of some prior experience, so...
Thanks! Given that I'm currently in the middle of my HSC, how much effort should I be putting into this response? Is it used as a major selection factor? Obviously I will still put effort into it, but I don't want to stress too much over something that isn't such a big deal...

threefivetwo

less gooo
Thanks! Given that I'm currently in the middle of my HSC, how much effort should I be putting into this response? Is it used as a major selection factor? Obviously I will still put effort into it, but I don't want to stress too much over something that isn't such a big deal...
As it could influence some of your interview questions, you should think about how the response you give may shape the questions they could ask and the extent to which you could answer (i.e. experiences and knowledge you can draw from)