Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMelb UMelb Medicine: Graduate Entry Pre-requisites

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
Hello,
I was just wondering if someone could fill me in on how breadth subjects work and how many one can take while doing an undergrad.
My back up plan for medicine is related to the oral health field and I was considering doing Melbourne University’s Bachelor of Oral Health. However, I am concerned that there is a possibility I may not be able to complete all Medicine prequisites namely Physiology, Biochemistry and Anatomy. Is it possible to do all these while doing a course such as Bachelor of Oral Health or am I restricted to biomedicine/science if I wish to pursue medicine in the future.

Any help is appreciated :)

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
This is dependent on whether the subjects you study in the core component of your degree have some overlap. The pre-req subjects are at a second year level meaning that you would need to take some first year units to be able to take the pre-req subjects in second year. If the subjects in the Bachelor of Oral Health are not credited towards the necessary subjects needed prior to taking the pre-reqs, then no, you cannot complete all of the pre-reqs in your degree. It is best to look at the handbooks on the uni website to clarify whether any of the units within the degree satisfy the pre-reqs, or whether the subjects in first year may act as a stepping stone to the second year pre-reqs you need to complete to be eligible for the MD.

AgentWin

I am currently interested in taking the guaranteed entry pathway into the Doctor of Medicine (for a full fee place) available to school leavers with a 99.00+ ATAR. However, right now I am unsure which bachelor's degree I should apply for on VTAC.

Currently, I am leaning towards the Bachelor of Science as I really want to take a gap year to make up my mind on whether I want to take up this pathway or not, and the Bachelor of Science allows you to obtain a deferral without having to specify a reason in contrast to the Bachelor of Biomedicine. But I am still curious to know which of these two bachelor's degree provides the best route to complete all the prerequisite subjects required to be eligible for the Doctor of Medicine.

Also, I have obtained contradicting information from the University of Melbourne website as to if you are allowed to study a different bachelor's degree other than the ones I've just mentioned in order to gain entry into the Doctor of Medicine. Whilst on this page: How to become a doctor : Entry requirements it states that you must complete an 'undergraduate degree in science or biomedicine', on this page: Doctor of Medicine : Entry requirements it states you can complete an undergraduate degree 'in any discipline'. Does anyone know if you are allowed to study a different bachelor's degree in order to progress to the Doctor of Medicine (and would you still be allowed to study the prerequisite subjects)?

Thank you, and I hope to hear if anyone has any advice they can give, especially from those who have taken this pathway.

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
I am currently interested in taking the guaranteed entry pathway into the Doctor of Medicine (for a full fee place) available to school leavers with a 99.00+ ATAR. However, right now I am unsure which bachelor's degree I should apply for on VTAC.

Currently, I am leaning towards the Bachelor of Science as I really want to take a gap year to make up my mind on whether I want to take up this pathway or not, and the Bachelor of Science allows you to obtain a deferral without having to specify a reason in contrast to the Bachelor of Biomedicine. But I am still curious to know which of these two bachelor's degree provides the best route to complete all the prerequisite subjects required to be eligible for the Doctor of Medicine.

Also, I have obtained contradicting information from the University of Melbourne website as to if you are allowed to study a different bachelor's degree other than the ones I've just mentioned in order to gain entry into the Doctor of Medicine. Whilst on this page: How to become a doctor : Entry requirements it states that you must complete an 'undergraduate degree in science or biomedicine', on this page: Doctor of Medicine : Entry requirements it states you can complete an undergraduate degree 'in any discipline'. Does anyone know if you are allowed to study a different bachelor's degree in order to progress to the Doctor of Medicine (and would you still be allowed to study the prerequisite subjects)?

Thank you, and I hope to hear if anyone has any advice they can give, especially from those who have taken this pathway.
Hey,

Regarding B.Sc vs BioMed, I’d highly recommend going with B.Sc. You can cover the prequisites for MD in both courses quite easily. However, in Science you have a significantly higher amount of flexibility which means you’ll be able to take subjects you truly enjoy, which will reflect in your GPA. I have not talked to a single BioMed student who did not go on to regret it!
Personally, I am in the same position as you. I’ll be doing Science next year :)

In regards to the the undergrads you can do, you can pretty much do any undergrad you wish GIVEN that you fulfill the prerequisites for MD. However, there are 3 prequisites you need to cover at the second year level which is pretty much impossible through breadth subjects unless you overload. You get one breadth subject per semesterz

It’s highly recommended you do either Science or BioMed so you can cover them easily.

Also keep in mind the 99.00 guarantee is for a FFP so I would consider what undergrad places you in the best position to get a good GPA and allows for time to prepare for the GAMSAT. Probably science!

TMG

Hey guys,
I recently found this on one of the MSO forums.
"While about one third of Melbourne Biomedicine graduates are selected into the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at the University of Melbourne..."
My question is, are really 1/3 of UoM biomed graduates selected in the MD program? That number seems way too high... Of course these places include full fee places but still.
Can anyone confirm that this is true?? If so, wouldn't going to melb uni increase your chances of postgrad med?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I recently found this on one of the MSO forums.
"While about one third of Melbourne Biomedicine graduates are selected into the Doctor of Medicine (MD) program at the University of Melbourne..."
My question is, are really 1/3 of UoM biomed graduates selected in the MD program? That number seems way too high... Of course these places include full fee places but still.
Can anyone confirm that this is true?? If so, wouldn't going to melb uni increase your chances of postgrad med?

if you look up that quote you are redirected to a UniMelb website with a report which shows the graduate locations from the biomedical cohort which shows 142/439 graduates from the program progressed into the MD. https://biomedicalsciences.unimelb....4930/B-BMED-grad-pathway-report-2010-2018.pdf

however this report does nothing to identify wether these graduates had the “””guaranteed””” chancellors scholars (99.90) or 99.00+ FFP places (which essentially only removes the GAMSAT, not guaranteed at all).

Considering the MD program is removing prerequisites from 2021 (IIRC) onwards, and most guaranteed people would be picking biomedical science to satisfy the prerequisites which were previously in place I would say these numbers are going to drop.

doing Biomedicine at UoM will do nothing to improve your chances at getting in unless your in one the guaranteed pathways mentioned before. If you are considering doing biomedicine/medical science as a pathway to medicine I suggest you read the Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

A1

Rookie Doc
which shows 142/439 graduates from the program progressed into the MD

I have seen mentioned about 30 MD entrants via the 99.90 program (something like there was just 1 interview fail out of 30ish). Subtracting say 10 99.0s leaves around 100 entrants out of 400 non-99 Biomed grads.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Well to start off with UniMelb was really the only program to have prereqs so it would really be aligning with a typical grad entry experience.

Well they are completely restructuring their MD curriculum and an interesting bit about it is you can claim credit for prior learning for it. I’m not sure what constitutes as prior learning but you could possible shave a year off from doing a related degree

Well they are completely restructuring their MD curriculum and an interesting bit about it is you can claim credit for prior learning for it. I’m not sure what constitutes as prior learning but you could possible shave a year off from doing a related degree
Woah that's a game changer! Will have to look into that further...If anyone has any more info about that, please share!

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Well before you jump the gun, for one i don’t know how fleshed out it will be. Looking at the course curriculum now it looks to be two courses a year... so in order to have any RPL you will need quite an extensive match with the Melbourne program. I’m pretty confident they would change this for 2022 otherwise it would make the whole recognising prior learning somewhat redundant.

Realistically a paragraph in a press release shouldn’t be a game changer. I’m sure there’s more information out there but it hasn’t been discussed on here before.