Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Melbourne Model 2008

chinmaister

Please correct me if this thread is in the wrong section.

Yes its true that the melbourne univercity has changed. They now offer six new generation undergraduate degrees. Look below,
http://www.futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/courses/melbmodel/coursediagram.html

Can someone please tell me though, in order to get into graduate medicine,what do you need to do after finishing Biomedical science? Eg. GAMSAT???

If so, is there another way of avoiding this?

Help much appriciated. Thanks.

broccoli

If you get an ENTER over 99.9 and do biomed at Melbourne Uni, you're guaranteed to get into grad-entry med as long as you keep up a reasonable GPA.

Otherwise I think you'd probably need to sit the GAMSAT/do an interview, but I don't think Melb Uni has finalised the details yet.

chinmaister

Thank you! Hopefully you wont have to do such a test!

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I find it interested that they have 1 year pre-clin and 3 years clin. Deakin's postgrad model has 2 preclin years and I always assumed they had a bit of help from the Melbourne side of the fence. Do people think 2 years of pre-clin is too much in a postgrad course? what's the feeling here?]

Also of note is the no more BMEDSCI. How many universities still have a compulsory bmedsci component?

Raj

If you get an ENTER over 99.9 and do biomed at Melbourne Uni, you're guaranteed to get into grad-entry med as long as you keep up a reasonable GPA.

Otherwise I think you'd probably need to sit the GAMSAT/do an interview, but I don't think Melb Uni has finalised the details yet.

I reckon there is another possibility too :

If you get an ENTER over 99.0 and do biomed at Melbourne Uni, you're guaranteed to get into grad-entry med (full fees place) as long as you keep up a reasonable GPA.

The guranteed grad-entry med place for 99.9+ in broccoli's post above is a CSP grad place.

Raj

Hydroxide

The site says:

These guaranteed places are subject to:
  • An achieved average grade of H2A (75%). The H2A will count as satisfying the GPA requirement for entry
  • Meeting the subject prerequisite requirements
  • Students will also be required to satisfactorily complete the interview to ensure their communication skills are adequate for competent health practice
  • Places being available (clinical placement capacity is the limiting factor)
Anyone know how likely this factor is of stopping you getting entry into medicine?

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads