Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Melbourne Uni Chancellor's Scholar MMI

zsteve

Hi,
Sorry for the rush, but this morning I discovered that I, by a miracle, achieved a 99.95 which I was definitely not expecting. My first course preference was Biomedicine (Melbourne), Chancellor's Scholar Program.
As I am interested in doing the MD at Melbourne after my undergrad, I need to sit the MMI interview which is tomorrow. Since I wasn't expecting to achieve 99.90+ (I thought it was a 100:1 chance I'd fall short), I haven't done any preparation or research about it except registering.
Could people help out please? I just need general info like what types of questions might be asked, exact structure of interview, etc. Not sure what info I might need, but if people who have sat it before could relate some of their experiences, that would be very much appreciated!
Thanks! :)
Stephen

zsteve

Thanks so much for the information, registering now at pagingdr (after all this 99.95 paraphernalia)
Would very much appreciate if you could also email to me (jic I run into trouble at pagindr) at stephenmzhang [at] gmail [dot] com

zsteve

pagingdr keeps preventing me from registering. Time is very short, so could anyone else help me? Much appreciated!

zsteve

Also, does anyone know whether, in the case that I don't pass the initial MMI, I can sit the MMI at the end of the undergrad?

No clue, but it's probably safe to assume that it would be a ranking system and all you would need to do is pass.
Once again, if you're really that worried just talk to the student centre before the interview

Do-Not-Use

According to friends you won't find out if you pass MMI until third year

According to website "Students will receive feedback on their MMI performance before the VTAC Change of Preference period closes".

Would be nasty to tell someone after 2 years they didn't pass and their guaranteed place is cancelled.

Hi,
Sorry for the rush, but this morning I discovered that I, by a miracle, achieved a 99.95 which I was definitely not expecting. My first course preference was Biomedicine (Melbourne), Chancellor's Scholar Program.
As I am interested in doing the MD at Melbourne after my undergrad, I need to sit the MMI interview which is tomorrow. Since I wasn't expecting to achieve 99.90+ (I thought it was a 100:1 chance I'd fall short), I haven't done any preparation or research about it except registering.
Could people help out please? I just need general info like what types of questions might be asked, exact structure of interview, etc. Not sure what info I might need, but if people who have sat it before could relate some of their experiences, that would be very much appreciated!
Stephen

hey stephen, could I ask some advice please? THanks so much!! :) :D

I also got a chancellors scholars offer (sneaked in with 99.90) though I chose to do the med interview in 3rd year..

I still dunno whether to go to a local uni (Griffith) with a direct med pathway or to try my luck at Melbourne.. Could you recommend one or the other based on how difficult you found the interview?? Thanks so much!

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
zsteve hasn't been on in a while, but if it helps, I know that he chose Chancellor's and I don't think he ended up doing the interview :)

(source: ATAR Notes forums)

Jackua

Lurker
Hi,
Stephen

I need to decide, Griffith medicine or Uni Melbourne medicine (with a chancellor scholar program). Can I ask for your opinion?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
I need to decide, Griffith medicine or Uni Melbourne medicine (with a chancellor scholar program). Can I ask for your opinion?

Please stop asking the same question multiple times in different threads. You did the same thing on PagingDr and got told off for it. Once is enough - people will respond if they want to. So far all advice has been to take the Griffith offer so make of that what you will.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
melbourne has better scholarship tho cos 10k + hex exempt for undergrad = basically 60k scholarship in total

And then you could lose it all and more when you either don't get a place in Melbourne's MD from failing the interview or that when you get a place it's a FFP instead of CSP thus costing you $60k per year for 4 years.

When we say definitely definitely take the Griffith place we seriously mean for your best interests take the Griffith place and not the Melbourne place. No one cares about uni prestige in medicine, literally no one.

faysapprentice

And then you could lose it all and more when you either don't get a place in Melbourne's MD from failing the interview or that when you get a place it's a FFP instead of CSP thus costing you $60k per year for 4 years.

yea true it is a bit of a gamble idk its your choice jacka whether you want to take a small risk or not

Mana

Administrator
yea true it is a bit of a gamble idk its your choice jacka whether you want to take a small risk or not

Not a small risk, a rather large one, for no gain whatsoever (7 years of study at melb vs 6 at griffith, end up with equivalent degrees with no difference in employability, and prestige doesn't matter at all).

umat2016

Is it more safe to choose UQ rather than Griffith , although 7 years at UQ vs 6 years (Trimester) at Griffith, because you have to pass "Human Skills for Medicine" at Griffith before you can proceed to MD and it said that this subject is designed for the purpose of exclusion.

Mana

Administrator
Is it more safe to choose UQ rather than Griffith , although 7 years at UQ vs 6 years (Trimester) at Griffith, because you have to pass "Human Skills for Medicine" at Griffith before you can proceed to MD and it said that this subject is designed for the purpose of exclusion.

Probably not - UQ has similar subjects which would play the same role. I'd still take Griffith over UQ unless I already lived in Brisbane and had family support there (which counts for a lot, including not having to pay rent because you live with your parents, for example).

A1

Rookie Doc
Is it more safe to choose UQ rather than Griffith , although 7 years at UQ vs 6 years (Trimester) at Griffith, because you have to pass "Human Skills for Medicine" at Griffith before you can proceed to MD

This poster has not given his UMAT score, how do you know he will get UQ to choose rather than Griffith?