Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Monash Medicine: Incoming Students

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
You don't "have" to do anything. Most of the available scholarships are for year 12s, and they require applications.

Marina Li

Lurker
Hey all! Just wondering when we have to get our police checks/children checks and vaccinations done? Do we need it by start of 1st year or for 3rd year when placements begin?

jelli

Hey all! Just wondering when we have to get our police checks/children checks and vaccinations done? Do we need it by start of 1st year or for 3rd year when placements begin?
You'll need to have them done during first semester before placement (you spend a few hours in a hospital/with a GP in first year). If you go to the info session on Wednesday and orientation next week they should go into more detail :)

Marina Li

Lurker
You'll need to have them done during first semester before placement (you spend a few hours in a hospital/with a GP in first year). If you go to the info session on Wednesday and orientation next week they should go into more detail :)
ok sweet thank you so much!

mai

Lurker
- you can either order a student ID card online (through the monash get started webpage) or you can go to monash connect and get it in person (they will print one for you on the spot)
- orientation guide is here! Orientation
(just a heads up, medtrivia is currently sold out and potentially medcruise as well but there is potentially more tickets for trivia coming out in the future)
- medcamp dates are mar 15-17 but tickets are not out yet and go super fast! so when they are announced i would get onto it asap
i hope this is helpful and answered some of your questions! i’m not too sure about the other stuff unfortunately
looking forward to seeing you at o-week and welcome to victoria!

1234med

Bring paperwork!! You'll need it for your fit2work police check, unless you already have a police check for this year from fit2work or another organisation
mai answered everything else and I haven't see an M guide for this year

Hey guys, I have no clue when I have to complete a first aid certificate for the pre-placements in first year(I thought placements were only in year 3 so didnt worry about this.) Can you let me know where I can sign up and complete one (Level Two? or Level one is enough) as I am new to Melbourne and Australia as a whole >.< . Thank you in advance!! :D

1234med

Hey! You don't need it pre-placement in first year. I know of second years who didn't get until close to the start of third year (although they wouldn't recommend it). Not sure about the levels, but it just needs to be provide first aid HLTAID003. Most go through St Johns or the Red Cross :D

1234med

Nope, we got told together that most oweek stuff is at South One (not the actual med classes). I think our classes are spread between the med building, lab classes in the biomed sci area and another building nearby for active learning. Maybe someone else can comment though! Didn't remember much from today haha!

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Hey! Trying to organise accomodation - I’ve been looking to get as close to South One lecture theatre, but are our classes all in that area? Should I be looking to be close to northern side of campus instead? Not sure if there’s a “school of Med building” I could use as a reference point

Given it's so close to the start of uni - look for anywhere that will have you near the uni. An extra 5-10 min walk is better than not living close at all.

Anyone know if a police clearance form from NZ suffices as a 'police check'? Or do I need to do the Australian one since I'm in CSP?

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Pretty sure you will have to redo it, but best to ask the Faculty.

ARC34

Monash BMedSci/MD I
Anyone know if a police clearance form from NZ suffices as a 'police check'? Or do I need to do the Australian one since I'm in CSP?
Pretty sure the faculty wants one done through fit2work (they have mentioned that they will accept police checks through other organisations but only if it is for 2019), you should've gotten an email from them with your login details.

oranges

What's the difference between Vespa and PSP?
Vespas (vertically enhanced study something) are case nights run by faculty for all year levels (kind of like a big ICL). PSPs are study groups run by the year above for the year below that the faculty does not explicitly endorse. (PSPs used to be called vespas that’s why this is all confusing)

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Do study groups exist between year levels in 3/4/5? Or is it just year 1s and 2s

Probably more difficult as people spilt up for the clinical years. There's no reason you can't organise one within your friend group or whoever you're on rotation with.