Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Monash Guarantee

A1

Admissions Speculator
I heard that you can't use BOTH monash guarantee AND another SEAS category together.
Is this true?
Adding to Lear's reply, my understanding is the MG gives you a med interview if you meet certain threshold for ATAR/UCAT each (i.e. even when your SEAS-adjusted ATAR & UCAT combo doesn't meet the interview cutoff). That means if your combo gets you an interview anyway then the MG doesn't add any extra advantage.

coolguy246

Adding to Lear's reply, my understanding is the MG gives you a med interview if you meet certain threshold for ATAR/UCAT each (i.e. even if your SEAS-adjusted ATAR & UCAT combo doesn't meet the interview cutoff). That means if your combo gets you an interview anyway then the MG doesn't add any extra advantage.
Ah i see.
So its basically an advantage. I can either get in with my raw combo, or if its too low monash guarantee can help me?

A1

Admissions Speculator
oh so they will use my SEAS adjusted combo. And if that is too low, then with monash guarantee i will be able to get in?
Yes Monash uses your SEAS adjusted combo for interview selection (and later place offer). If that isn't enough to get an interview first, then you rely on the MG to get an interview provided you meet the *individual* thresholds for raw ATAR and UCAT.

ucatboy

Monash I
Valued Member
Yes Monash uses your SEAS adjusted combo for interview selection (and later place offer). If that isn't enough to get an interview first, then you rely on the MG to get an interview provided you meet the *individual* thresholds for raw ATAR and UCAT.
But if you have the minimum ATAR and UCAT, is it even possible to secure a place offer if there is no individual pool or quota?

coolguy246

But if you have the minimum ATAR and UCAT, is it even possible to secure a place offer if there is no individual pool or quota?
Well, your atar wont be seen as a 'minimum' as they will boost it up (due to ur monash guarantee) and even more so if you have SEAS. That boosted atar is the one that will be used for selection.

Also, does anyone know the lowest ATAR + UCAT combo that received an offer last year with monash guarantee?

TMG

Glad to be the first !
Does anyone know if when applying to monash (with SEAS AND Monash guarantee), does the uni look at your adjusted atar using both SEAS AND MG or just 1 of them ??

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Glad to be the first !
Does anyone know if when applying to monash (with SEAS AND Monash guarantee), does the uni look at your adjusted atar using both SEAS AND MG or just 1 of them ??
Please note: the Quick Questions thread (as is explicitly stated) is for non-university specific questions...

TMG

Please note: the Quick Questions thread (as is explicitly stated) is for non-university specific questions...
Sorry about that. Wont happen again :)
Do you know if the two work together or separately?

A1

Admissions Speculator
Do you know if the two work together or separately?
See the chart on page 5 > https://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/1353912/monash-guarantee-seas-brochure.pdf

Basically MG is Monash's parallel scheme to VTAC's SEAS. The MG guarantees an applicant a Monash course offer (except Med & Law) if their *raw ATAR* meets the course's MG-specific threshold, independent of SEAS.

For Med the MG only guarantees an interview, if your raw ATAR and UCAT meet the specified thresholds. Then at the offer round your SEAS-boosted ATAR is used in the final ranking calculation.

In summary, my understanding is the two work separately for non-Med but together for Med.

Ali_MA

Hello,
the collated data for 2020 and 2019 med offers does not indicate whether the applicant is from interstate or Victoria... so i was wondering whether the MG differs between applicants from Victoria and interstate i.e is someone with a MG from Victoria preferred over interstate applicant (in any way)?

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Hello,
the collated data for 2020 and 2019 med offers does not indicate whether the applicant is from interstate or Victoria... so i was wondering whether the MG differs between applicants from Victoria and interstate i.e is someone with a MG from Victoria preferred over interstate applicant (in any way)?
I’m not sure whether there is a difference in the way the MG is applied specifically, but there is, generally speaking, a strong preference for Victorian students, and the requirements are, again, generally speaking, lower for Victorians than interstaters.

Have a look through the Monash general entry thread as I’m sure there’s been a fair bit of talk about it there.

ETA: wait up! It must be a different thread. I’ll find it and link it. It’s definitely been a hot topic here on a number of occasions.

ETA2: pages 90&91 of the interview discussion thread have some speculation but only with regard to general applicants, not MG (as I’d suspected).

ETA3: Lear may have a clearer understanding of the MG aspect.

Last edited: